Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Tales Unheard

Tales Unheard

Co-presented with marastar: A frustrating aspect of reading Tolkien's books is all the potentially great conversations that never happen between various characters. So here's the challenge: write a chat or scene between characters that never interact (or interact very little) "onstage" in Tolkien's books, that you feel should have interacted more for various reasons -- perhaps because they share a particular experience, have a history together that isn't explored, or because it would have simply resulted in hilarious dialogue or a great meeting of the minds. Another option is to take your favourite character and have him/her/it talk to someone you've either never or rarely written about. Still, it should be an unusual interaction. So don't have Legolas talk to Aragorn, for instance, because you love Aragorn and never write about Legolas. And maybe try to think of situations that have been neglected in the fandom as well as the books. For instance, even though we never see Boromir interact with either Denethor or Faramir in LotR, there are already so many fics out there that deal with the Steward's family that they probably wouldn't be encouraged for this particular nuzgul. The more uncommon, the better! Some situations: * The Fellowship hang out at Rivendell. * The Fords of Isen. * The Fields of Cormallen. * Minas Tirith before the funeral host departs for Rohan. * Edoras before and after Theoden's funeral. Some interesting pairs: * Elven heirs: Legolas and Arwen. * Three gardeners of the Fourth Age: Sam, Legolas and Eowyn. * The Rangers of the North and the sons of Elrond (before the Battle of the Pelennor, the Black Gates, or on the Fields of Cormallen) * Theodred: did anyone actually talk to the poor guy before he was conveniently snuffed out? * Prince Imrahil and Denethor before the Siege of Minas Tirith. * A first meeting between Eomer and Faramir at Minas Tirith, before Eowyn. * Witch-Kings and Wizard's Pupils: Gandalf and Eowyn have a lot to talk about. * Now that Gimli and Eomer have called a draw on who is the most beautiful Elf, what else do they talk about? * Arwen stays behind at Meduseld with Prince Imrahil, Eomer, Eowyn and Faramir after everyone else leaves for the Shire. What the heck does she say to these people? Considering Eowyn was once after Aragorn, and Eomer is a bit enamoured of her, things could get very interesting. * Before the Elven host leaves Edoras, Elrond and Arwen speak "long and bitterly" in the hills of Rohan. What was said? What about Galadriel and Celeborn? * Beregond and Eowyn discuss a touchy subject: dereliction of duty. * Galadriel says farewell to Gimli. Or better yet, Celeborn and Gimli have a little chat. * Arwen and Frodo (or anyone besides Aragorn, for that matter) before the Fellowship heads south. * What if Legolas had tried to talk to Gollum while he was in Mirkwood? Silm prompts would be most welcome as well. So what do you say, guys? Any more ideas? Any takers?

Re: Tales Unheard

Very interesting prompt. I have a story about a conversation between Elrond and Pippin that I'll be glad to submit. I also have a few ideas. I'm not sure when I'll get around to writing them, but count me in for at least the one. Marta

Co-presented with marastar: You two troublemakers. Sure, yep, I'm in, as long as we have a decently far away deadline. I don't really have anything in mind at this point, but I'm sure I can come up with something!

You two troublemakers. Heh. I think Aliana loads the catapult. I just sit back and yell, "Fire!"

*raises hand* I have a story, already written and posted at FF.net, that would fit this perfectly. I've been thinking about posting it here, but I've been to lazy to actually do it. I suppose that this is the HASA equivalent of a Sign From Above. Count me in. I'll post "Afternoon Tea" (it's Pippin and Erestor bookverse... I think that counts as uncommon!) as soon as this challenge is up and running. And who knows, maybe I'll even write something new to add as well. But don't count on it. *eyes the evil little nuzgûl warily* -Ithiliel

Aliana, are you and marastar in? If so, that's five. If not, don't worry. ;-) Marta

Well, it was a well-aimed catapault, indeed. My story Renewal would fit this. If Ali and marastar aren't in, then I make the count four people. One more needed! Allie

Silm prompts would be most welcome as well. I might add that there is so little dialogue in the Silm that virtually anything there would count. The narrative is focused almost entirely on events. Allie

I think Aliana loads the catapult. I just sit back and yell, "Fire!" One day I'll get a trebuchet, then we'll just see what happens.

I think Aliana loads the catapult. I just sit back and yell, "Fire!" Great! I've already got a story that fits, and we'll see how many nuzguls I succumb to along the way.

Woot! Deadline? Allie PS- I don't think I've set up a single member-spawned challenge this month, and today nay, this evening, I have set up two, with this one as a possible third. When they flock, they flock with a vengeance, eh? edit: The challenge has been posted, and the discussion thread as well. A deadline of 8 months has been given: closes November 28, 2005. Good?

Oooh! I'm in as well. One day I'll get a trebuchet, then we'll just see what happens. Them's fightin' words! marastar, desperately looking up the word "trebuchet"

Count me in...if you don't have enough already (or even if you do - LOL). I already have a cute fic Cabbages and Kings which is a Sam and Strider discussion that I think would fit this nicely. And who knows, if the deadline is long enough, I might be able to coax Sam into talking to someone else even more obscure:-) He just LOVES to chat for me... Cheers! Vistula

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges