Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: 'Many generations of men'

'Many generations of men'

Possibly a final fling for a while (though maybe not... ) Was about to hutch this as a nuzgul but then realised the potential may be broader than that... ...being what I am and a race of the West unmingled, I shall have life far longer than other men... when those who are now in the wombs of women are born and have grown old, I too shall grow old... Aragorn, ROTK 6-V This is with a thought to the implications of living a very, very long time, compared to those around you who you might just get quite attatched to. Aragorn has got a point. By the end of his 210 years, he'll have worked with 4 or possibly 5 stewards (somebody out there will know, I'm sure- who died first, Aragorn or Elboron?) from Ecthalion to Barahir- he was the same age as Denethor, but married at roughly the same time as Faramir, and I suppose can expect death at roughly the same time as Elboron; and presumably the same number of kings of Rohan (from Thengal to Elfwine or, probably, Elfwine's son (again, no doubt there's someone out there who knows his name). And plenty of others besides, of course. But this might as well be broadend out- he's not alone in this. For a start there's the immortals in general. Any of the elves who do have dealings with men or other short-lived peoples must notice how they seem to change around awfully quickly, and before you know it you're dealing with thier great-great grandsons. Does it bother them? Do they even differenciate much between generations? Do they see lines of heridatory that pass the humans by? Then there's those who have particular attatchments, Elrond being the first that comes to mind, watching over those men who at least some of whom are his god-knows-how-many-times-great-nephews and nieces. And of course those who are mortal- just much longer lived than others, or just have a life-cycle out of sync with other races. Do hobbits find it disconcerting how fast human children grow up? I don't recall seeing this idea up before, but if it hasn't...

Re: 'Many generations of men'

Hi Soubrettina, I'm in. I have a drabble that will definitely fit the Elrond idea, and I've been meaning to extend it anyway. Marta

Good, good. I'm glad it's appealed to someone but me. It seems a very Tolkienian sentiment.

You know, I've wondered about this myself, and I think it's a very interesting idea for a challenge. I'd submit at least a drabble. Great idea!

That's two! Yay! Need two more, then. No particular reason to bump this thread up except that I'm impatiant like that, so excuse me.

I'm in. , Elemmire

Thanks! Soubrettina

One more needed for this! ...being what I am and a race of the West unmingled, I shall have life far longer than other men... when those who are now in the wombs of women are born and have grown old, I too shall grow old... Aragorn, ROTK 6-V This is with a thought to the implications of living a very, very long time, compared to those around you who you might just get quite attatched to. Aragorn has got a point. By the end of his 210 years, he'll have worked with 4 or possibly 5 stewards (somebody out there will know, I'm sure- who died first, Aragorn or Elboron?) from Ecthalion to Barahir- he was the same age as Denethor, but married in the same year as Faramir, and I suppose can expect death at roughly the same time as Elboron; and presumably the same number of kings of Rohan (from Thengal to Elfwine or, probably, Elfwine's son (again, no doubt there's someone out there who knows his name). And plenty of others besides, of course. But this might as well be broadend out- he's not alone in this. For a start there's the immortals in general. Any of the elves who do have dealings with men or other short-lived peoples must notice how they seem to change around awfully quickly, and before you know it you're dealing with thier great-great grandsons. Does it bother them? Do they even differenciate much between generations? Do they see lines of heridatory that pass the humans by? Then there's those who have particular attatchments, Elrond being the first that comes to mind, watching over those men who at least some of whom are his god-knows-how-many-times-great-nephews and nieces. And of course those who are mortal- just much longer lived than others, or just have a life-cycle out of sync with other races. Do hobbits find it disconcerting how fast human children grow up?

Count me in! I've got a triple-drabble that you rightly told me would fit here. As soon as the person for whose birthday it's intended has seen it, and I give it a final go-over (I'm not sure about the title, and there are two words in the thing that might need changing), I'll enter it here - which means sometime in the next six weeks... It's a great Challenge, btw! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Aragorn has got a point. By the end of his 210 years, he'll have worked with 4 or possibly 5 stewards (somebody out there will know, I'm sure- who died first, Aragorn or Elboron?) from Ecthalion to Barahir- he was the same age as Denethor, but married in the same year as Faramir, and I suppose can expect death at roughly the same time as Elboron; and presumably the same number of kings of Rohan (from Thengal to Elfwine or, probably, Elfwine's son (again, no doubt there's someone out there who knows his name). And plenty of others besides, of course. But this might as well be broadend out- he's not alone in this. For a start there's the immortals in general. Any of the elves who do have dealings with men or other short-lived peoples must notice how they seem to change around awfully quickly, and before you know it you're dealing with thier great-great grandsons. Does it bother them? Do they even differenciate much between generations? Do they see lines of heridatory that pass the humans by? As far as I know, it's not said that Barahir becomes Steward, just that he's Faramir's grandson and a writer. He could be a younger son of Elboron, or the son of another of Faramir's children. Or he could be a future Steward; but it's indefinite...I believe that Faramir and Eowyn were married in 3020, which means at least several months later than Aragorn and Arwen, and not in the same calendar year, at least by the old reckoning - feel free to correct me here, calendar changes make my head spin....Elboron's death-date is unspecified, and I'm not sure his birth-date is mentioned, though I'm assuming he was born in the first few years of the Fourth Age, so he would have been in his early 80's at his father's death, and, considering his heredity, probably had at least 10-20 good years left. Two songs occur to me in the consideration of this challenge - a song by, I think, Queen, that I heard in the TV series HIGHLANDER, with the refrain "Who wants to live forever"; and the song sung by Liv Tyler on the ROTK ee-dvd where the only words I can make out are something about the leaves turning from green to gold (in the HoH scenes)....and a line from a book I read years ago, Poul Anderson's FIRE TIME, but I don't remember it well enough to quote it exactly.... RAKSHA

Challenge up!

Sorry for my minimal linking... Challenge Discussion Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges