Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Steward and the King

The Steward and the King

Faramir met Aragorn in the midst of those assembled, and he knelt, and said: 'The last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office.' And he held out a white rod; but Aragorn took the rod and gave it back, saying: 'That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs' as long as my line shall last.' (Return of the King, The Steward and the King) There's a lot of speculation to be made on the relationship, both personal and working, between Aragorn and Faramir. What led to Aragorn decided to keep the office of Steward, and did it have anything to do with Faramir? Did Aragorn ever talk to Mithrandir or Pippin about Faramir before making his decision? What would the working relationship between Faramir and Aragorn be? Do they play mind games with the council members together? How often is Faramir in Minas Tirith? (His home is, after all, "in sight of the city.) Does Aragorn's lack of organization drive Faramir to distraction? Are the secrataries tired of being snuck up on by the men, both rangers? How about the personal relationship? Are they friends? Do their families get together often? Do they talk about the War of the Ring? Do they play chess? Do they avoid each other at all costs, or do they spend as much time as possible with each other? There are a million options here, people, and I for one would like to see them explored! Pick any aspect of the relationship between Aragorn and Faramir and write about it. It could be personal, buisiness, or whatever, but it has to center on the King and his Steward. Come on, you know you want to...

Re: The Steward and the King

Ooh, I've got one shortfic - just put it up on the H-A email list today; and a longer fic in development, and a plotbunny or two. I love this topic; I adore reading about Aragorn and Faramir's relationship, and could write volumes on it if I had time, since I have very strong feelings about it...I've co-written movie-Mir and movie-Aragorn in an unfinished (but eventually it will be) AU Fourth Age epic offsite, too. Aragorn and Faramir playing chess? Altariel wrote a great story called BLACK CAPTAIN... I'd love to see a story about Faramir and Aragorn playing mind games with the council members. It's got to happen sometime.... I think Faramir and Aragorn would become very close (NOT slashy, at least not by me, though). They're somewhat alike, and have cultural and historical ties, have been Rangers...Aragorn's experience as Thorongil would intrigue Faramir, as would Aragorn's memories of Faramir's parents and grandfather. And then there's book-Aragorn's physical likeness to Denethor - that's gotta play havoc with Faramir's unresolved father-issues. I think Aragorn could easily become the father-figure Faramir wishes he'd had, what with Aragorn being Faramir's boss like Denethor was, and Aragorn saving Faramir's life....But it wouldn't be easy, initially, for Faramir to see Aragorn as a flesh-and-blood man rather than The King, the Heir of Elendil, etc. I hope there are other takers to this challenge; it's a doozy - and please, give it a year at the least! RAKSHA THE DEMON

I'm interested but would need that long timeframe. Faramir doesn't speak to me too much. It may have something to do with the way Denethor stalks around inside my brain. He's not so sane anymore. But I like the idea of writing a piece that explores their first attempts at a more-than-business relationship. & I know I've read several stories about their relationship, though I'm not sure where. So there must be other interested folk out there! , Elemmíre

There are a million options here, people, and I for one would like to see them explored! So would I! You picked on an interaction that is a favourite of mien to read. And I known there are quite a few excellent fics out there already. I hope this challenge brings in more Unfortunately I've never quite been able to write it very well, other than as drabbles I've had a fic involving the two in the pipeline for about 2 years now and it just won't move. Hmm... maybe I should try and revive it... as soon as I get the time.

Do they play mind games with the council members together? ... Are the secrataries tired of being snuck up on by the men, both rangers? Oh dear, oh dear, go away! No do not bite me! .... Too late... Well, this has just been let loose in my head. But I have no time right now to write it. If the closing date could be sometime after July 16 that would be great.

Well, I'm really glad that there's some interest here! As for the timeframe, since that seems to be the one thing everybody needs, we could put it pretty far off. Very far off, in fact. As long as they'll let us keep it open for. So, if all four of you agree to this, then, with me added, we have five!

Me, too. One of my biggest disappointments with Jackson's Return of the King was his leaving out COMPLETELY any interaction between Aragorn and Faramir--even in the extended edition! Hey, that was a pivotal moment in the story! How dare he! Here's where I confess that the Fellowship is my favorite one among the movies, alas, because Aragorn has been my favorite character for 40 years. Faramir and Gandalf are co-equal close seconds. I just died when I saw what Jackson did to Faramir--but then he did Gandalf perfect (thank you, Ian McKellan). My story "The Summons" is a sort of pre-Faramir and Aragorn story, that is, Aragorn and Gandalf discussing the Denethor situation. Tolkien actually gives us a lot of material to work with, if you just follow it. This is one place where I am strictly book canon, although in many other ways I am a total blasphemer. I would like some time, too. As much as possible. There are some great fics on this subject already (not by me, not yet), so that adds to the challenge. Gandalfs apprentice

I was soooo disappointed by the lack of Aragorn's pivotal healing-of-Faramir scene and Faramir's pivotal recognition of Aragorn as the King in the movie. Especially when so many precious minutes were wasted in skull avalanches and stupid drinking games. Yes, Jackson did Gandalf almost perfect - I didn't care for the Witch-King toppling Gandalf, Gandalf lying on the ground looking wasted and having Pippin charge to his rescue. Hey, the real Gandalf stood his ground! But that wasn't McKellan's fault; he did a great job overall. I liked THE SUMMONS; I wish it had been longer. I wonder if Boromir found out that Aragorn was Thorongil before Amon Hen...And if, when Faramir eventually learned it, did it put a dent in his trust of Aragorn to know that Aragorn had kept his true identity secret while serving Faramir's grandfather? I have one very short piece for this challenge, and another, longer, in draft. Is it an official challenge yet? As long as the parameters are broad, that is, any aspect of Faramir and Aragorn's relationship, casual moments, close friendship or lack of it, working relationship, and the deadline is a long way off! I think that Aragorn and Arwen probably weekended at Faramir's home in Emyn Arnen quite a bit - not that Aragorn wouldn't have a few retreats of his own (and probably an open invitation to Legolas' elf-colony which was probably near Cormallen), but they might be farther away, and thus he couldn't go to them as often. Aragorn and Arwen could probably use a weekend getaway in Ithilien to breathe fresh air, enjoy a less formal atmosphere; and Aragorn and Faramir could still fit in some King/Steward paperwork. One thing that would bring Aragorn and Arwen and Faramir and Eowyn together for weekend retreats in Ithilien would be if their children, or some of them, were fairly close in age. Even if they weren't, when Aragorn and Arwen do have kids, they would want them to get out of the City occasionally and learn woodcraft and whatnot...And I'm also sure that Legolas would be a welcome and frequent guest in Faramir and Eowyn's home; Legolas and Faramir also work together to make Ithilien bloom, and Leggy was Faramir's landscaper according to JRRT... RAKSHA

Dear Raksha Skull avalanches, yeah, that was really dumb. But what really bothered me most about the Battle of the Pelennor and the Dead was how PJ used the army of the Dead. Tolkien's version makes much more sense: Aragorn cleans out the corsairs with the Dead and mobilizes a whole army of Gondorians to follow him to Minas Tirith. Thus he arrives with not only a banner and the Dunedain, but already half the country supporting him as king. Denethor is really the one who is Royally Screwed. According to PJ all Aragorn had was an elf and a dwarf (not even a banner!), once those green guys disappear. Then he doesn't even do the Hands of the King thing, and he blows it with the palantir. Given how little he had to work with, Viggo Mortensen did an admirable job. I might get around to making The Summons longer, when my thoughts gel a bit. My thoughts on the Aragorn-Faramir relationship are that they would get along very well. They are very much alike: scholar-warriors and into beautiful women. I've got many opinions about the whole Thorongil-Denethor-Faramir thing, the stuff of many more stories. I won't spring my punchlines here. Meanwhile, some of my other stuff is at Tolkienfanfiction, including my retelling of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, with which I have many bones to pick. G.A.

Well, at least we got some Faramir/Eowyn stuff in the Extended Edition. That made me happy. (Very girlishly and giddily happy.) Anyways! Broad paramaters and a long timeframe. Works for me. How do we turn this into a challenge, then?

Submit this using the "Submit Story Suggestion Form" (http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/suggest.cfm). Write the challenge the exact way you want it to read and include the closing date. I'll turn it into a challenge. RiverOtter Challenges Manager

Thanks so much! I'm still kind of figuring out how everything works around here...

This is now in the open challenges. Thank you very much. RiverOtter

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges