Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: One Pint Too Many

One Pint Too Many

Raksha posted the following over at the Death to Fanon thread in Challenges: Story Discussions Now I'm visualizing a drunken Eomer and an infatuated Lothiriel hitting the sheets in celebration of Aragorn's coronation or marriage (Eomer wouldn't force her, but he'd have more restraint when sober), and Lothiriel getting pregnant. And Eomer quickly volunteering to do the honorable thing; after all, he needs an heir, he likes Lothiriel's father, and Eomer is an honorable man... (Tanaqui later points out that the marriage date is 3021, so the fling would have to be after Aragorn's coronation or marriage, but I'm sure someone could come up with a suitable event.) For some reasopn I couldn't get this scenario out of my mind and was musing on it for much of the night. What would someone -- anyone -- do when they had one pint too many in them. They don't have to be completely wasted, maybe just a bit tipsy so with lower inhibitions. Humor is certainly welcome. If you want to have Gimli and the hobbits singing bawdy drinking songs at every inn in Minas Tirith, be my guest. (I've done that one.) But I'm also interested in the serious side of drinking too much. Solme ideas: 1. Drinking to Forget: Maybe a character is haunted by the events of the Ring War and simply wants to escape their grief for a while. Could Frodo have developed a drinking problem after returning to the Shire. 2. Political or marriage negotiations while drinking: Alcohol would have been a major part of most social events. Did someone make a promise while drinking that they regreted the next morning? 3. Very personal conversations: Alcohol can be a great loosener of tongues. Maybe Faramir and Eomer get to know each other very well while under the influence of drink, saying things neither would say while completely sober? 4. Sex while Drunk: This is where the Eomer/Lothiriel scenario above, or any other number of ideas, would come in. Any story dealing with lower inhibitions would be good. 5. Cross-cultural Drinking: Were the Rohirrim heavier drinkers than the Gondorians? Is Elvish wine stronger than Mannish wine? The Ring War brought a lot of cultures together, and surely some of them had differing attitudes toward drunkenness and how much one was expected to drink. How would these differences affect our heroes? Of yourse you're not limited to these things; the idea is to write a story where alcohol is involved, dealing with how the altered state of mind would make people interact differently. Anyone interested? Marta

Re: One Pint Too Many

I have a plotbunny that would fit almost perfectly here, but I won't have time to write it for several months (three unfinished fics ahead of it)...It's on my list, because I think I could have fun with it...Sort of a comedy/drama, or a drama with comedic moments. That is, if I can successfully write humor that isn't parody. And I'd need a beta who has observed drunken behavior or has been drunk, because I don't have much experience with it and I'd want to be accurate in my descriptions and dialogue... And suddenly, the slash story that I'd write if I wrote slash (which I've sworn not to) is looking more plausible (different nuzgul than the one above) - back, evil beast, back, I say! RAKSHA

Hi Raksha In the hope this involves Faramir (but even if it doesn't) I'll offer to beta it for you — if you don't mind more of my slow and interminably detailed betas. (And I do promise to be a bit quicker turning things round if you take this on and ask me to beta.) Cheers, Liz

I have a plotbunny that would fit almost perfectly here, but I won't have time to write it for several months (three unfinished fics ahead of it)...It's on my list, because I think I could have fun with it...Sort of a comedy/drama, or a drama with comedic moments. That is, if I can successfully write humor that isn't parody. And I'd need a beta who has observed drunken behavior or has been drunk, because I don't have much experience with it and I'd want to be accurate in my descriptions and dialogue... Excellent. Would six months be long enough? If this becomes a challenge, I plan to submit Best Brew, and I also have another story in the works involving Aragorn and an OMC (NOT slash, the OMC is a 17yo grandson of Halbarad) that I'd enter in this challenge. Marta

In the hope this involves Faramir (but even if it doesn't) I'll offer to beta it for you — if you don't mind more of my slow and interminably detailed betas. Gee, how did you guess? LOL; of course it involves Faramir - poor guy. Though he's not gonna be the one with the hangover. Liz, I'd love to have you beta, especially if you have knowledge of how men behave in various stages of inebriation. When I can get to the story is anyone's guess. I have two stories needing finishing, plus the epic I co-write offsite needs updating (my co-writer having done her part, it's all up to me now) and there are over 12 chapters to go to finish it... Anyway, my tentative (and probably not final) title for the unwritten One Pint Too Many Challenge is What Shall We Do With A Drunken Ranger?. Which would also make a great filk, but I'm very bad at writing filks... Sadly, Marta, I doubt that six months will be enough time. But I don't want to hold up the challenge if that's the time-frame others want. Raksha

Sadly, Marta, I doubt that six months will be enough time. But I don't want to hold up the challenge if that's the time-frame others want. Well, you're the only one who's shown any interest so far. If this becomes a challenge I think we can make the deadline longer if you need it. Or you could always pick up a placeholder and enter it later. Just a thought... Marta

Holy beefcakes, Batman! Is it conceivable for a challenge to be more appropriate for me?! ...the idea is to write a story where alcohol is involved, dealing with how the altered state of mind would make people interact differently. Marta, do you realize you've touched on my specialty?! Uhh... let's see: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Check, check, check... Yeah, I most definitely either (a) have numerous fics which comprise most or all of those elements, (b) have numerous half-written fics which comprise most or all of those elements, or (c) would like to read other fics which comprise most or all of those elements. Goodness, I can't think of a fic by me that doesn't have at least one scene of gratuitous drunkenness. Off the top of my head, I have at least 5 entries for this challenge... and I'll be happy to add more! YAY! I'm excited! Aeneid

All we need is two more people! Allie

Well, you're the only one who's shown any interest so far. If this becomes a challenge I think we can make the deadline longer if you need it. Or you could always pick up a placeholder and enter it later. Oh is that what a placeholder is for? Well, then, count me in! RAKSHA, slow on the uptake again

I have a story for that alread posted... I may enter more than one Challenge with one and the same story, right? Yours Juno

Yes, indeed! One story can be entered in as many challenges as you like. And yes, Raksha, that's what a placeholder is for! Allie

Ummm, how do I arrange a placeholder? RAKSHA

Very, very easy to do. When this challenge gets set up (Aeneid will probably badger enough people into saying yes), go to its page. Click Enter This Challenge. From the drop down you get there, select the appropriate challenge, and from the other, select "No Story at This Time" (it says something along those lines. Click go, and you'll have a placeholder! Placeholders are listed along with all your other challenges in My Stuff>>My Challenges. HTH, Allie

Ahh! I'm being attacked by nuzgúl again! You won't take me alive! *Brandishes sword. Gets attacked from behind and konked upside the head by nuzgúl. Sighs.* Er... I guess I have one I could do, despite my best efforts to stave it off... ^_^; Berz.

I can't believe I'm actually doing this, but... Count me in! Raksha, if you need any help on drunken behaviour, look no further. I think I'd best leave it at that.

*GASP* Is that six victims we have, precious? Yes, yes it is... I think the prompt looks very nice (well done, Marta), and we've all agreed on six months deadline and the value of placeholders, so I'll go and make this a challenge! Allie

Holy beefcakes, That would be Boromir you're talking about, right? Is it conceivable for a challenge to be more appropriate for me?! Well I could propose an AU challenge where we look at would would happen if a certain character who in canon dies or sails west, doesn't ... Boromir!lives, Denethor!lives. But apparently this is right up your alley, too. Uhh... let's see: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Check, check, check... Yeah, I most definitely either (a) have numerous fics which comprise most or all of those elements, (b) have numerous half-written fics which comprise most or all of those elements, or (c) would like to read other fics which comprise most or all of those elements. I have very little experience with personally being drunk, so I tend not to write it, at least not in much detail. I just find it hard to write realistically. But I love reading about it. Ergo, this challenge. Goodness, I can't think of a fic by me that doesn't have at least one scene of gratuitous drunkenness. Off the top of my head, I have at least 5 entries for this challenge... and I'll be happy to add more! Excellent! Very glad to hear it. Marta

*GASP* Is that six victims we have, precious? Yes, yes it is... *cackles* We likes it, precious, yes we does... I think the prompt looks very nice (well done, Marta), Hey, I've been bitten by enough of these to know what works and what doesn't. and we've all agreed on six months deadline and the value of placeholders, so I'll go and make this a challenge! Sounds very reasonable to me. Thanks for handling it, Allie. Marta

Cheers!

Come to the bar, and share your favorite drink! Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges