Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Pub Guide Challenge

The Pub Guide Challenge

After we had opportunity to test the best pubs of Middle-earth in the "Pub Crawl Challenge" now the time has come for the "Pub Guide Challenge"!

Middle-earth is full of pubs and inns and guest-houses!

From the "Green Dragon" to the "Prancing Pony" to the "Forsaken Inn", there are many places to get drunk and get merry in Middle-earth.

This is the Challenge to tell us where you simply have to go to sample the brew - and which places you would do better to avoid. Be it canon or op (original pub), let's see what they have to offer to the guests!

Tell us about your favourite pub, inn or guesthouse in Middle-earth:

What's its name? How & where do we find it? What does it look like? Give us the general details of its physical description, or maybe even a picture! What kind of food do they serve (or would it be better just to keep drinking?) - how about an excerpt of the menu? Tell us what to to avoid and what's not to be missed! How about the prices? Will the usual Hobbit be able to afford it or do you need deep pockets like a Dwarf out of Dale? And of course: the type of clientele the pub attracts! Will you meet orcs, dwarves, hobbits, elves? High society or scoundrels? Is there music and dancing to be had? Give us the high spots and the low spots! Are they going to throw you out if you are not dressed appropriately or will they be happy if they can understand your order? Are there any extra features that should be mentioned, like bands, whores or clean toilets? When is it good to be there, and when is it so quiet that your feet fall asleep?

Any entry to this Challenge - if a Challenge will grow out of this idea - should cover one pub and give every information you would expect in a real life pub guide (and perhaps a bit more...).

So, what do you think, my friends?

Shall there be a Pub Guide to Middle-earth at HASA?

Yours JunoMagic & EdorasLass

Re: The Pub Guide Challenge

Oh, and here is an example of a real life online pub guide (of Great Britain, of course, to honour the good professor):

PUBS! 

Well?

Any takers?

Cheers,
JunoMagic

Hi Juno,

I'm a bit confused. Are we supposed to be writing up reviews of canonical pubs, or can we use ones we have invented for stories as well?

If we can do our own creation of pubs, I have three in Minas Tirith and one in Dol Amroth I will be glad to write up.

Marta

I think it can be either an op (original pub) or a cp (canon pub).

I have one in Edhellond, nothing special, really, close to the harbour, but the mussels they serve... delicious! 

Yours
JunoLookingAroundForMoreVictims

I have an op in Minas Tirith, and will be happy to write it up sometime in the next few weeks or months or whatever, so count me in.

RAKSHA

Sounds good!

What's the best drink there? And how do I get there?

Cheers,
Juno

I would be interesting in entering. Where would you like us to post submissions?

Chris

I count five so we have a Challenge. How long a deadline please - 6 months?

RiverOtter

I count five so we have a Challenge.

Hmm...I count 4. Am I missing someone?
Juno, Marta, Raksha, Chris....
Antoinette, are you in?

~Nienna

I'm in for 5 - I've got an OC pub to write about.

Ang

Hi -  I'm in. This is my kind of challenge! I'll be using my favorite Middle-earth pub, the Swan and Cygnet Saloon.

As we don't have a drinking/drunk emoticon, this will have to do...

W00T! I see a challenge! This is going to be so much fun... Now I only have to decide which pubs *I* want to do...

6 months sounds good to me.

Chris: where to post - when the Challenge is set up, it can be found in the section "Open Challenges". After you have created your story i.e. your guide entry, you just go to >"Open Challenges" >"Pub Guide Challenge" >"Enter Challenge" and do everything the computer tells you to do to enter the challenge...

Could we get the computer to tell her to do really strange things just for this occasion? No? Oh, well, it was just an idea...

I can't wait to see the entries.

CHEERS!
Juno

YAY! A Challenge!

I think Marta said in an e-mail that 3 months would probably be better, since a guide isn't as in-depth as a story. What do you think? Reply soon and then I'll set up the Challenge!

~Nienna

I would prefer six months so that we have the Challenge still running when certain persons return to school/college and have more time to spend with their computers and us... But if you think it ought to be only three months, I can live with that, too.

~Juno 

Hey guys,

It was me who said (in a private email) that I thought three months was good. I personally like challenges with shorter deadlines, so everyone writing at roughly the same time, but that's just me. If people want a longer deadline I'll go with the flow here.

Marta

I'll set up the Challenge with a 6 month deadline. Juno does have a good point about college students and computer access. We want to give them a chance too. I think college students would enjoy this Challenge especially.

~Nienna

Here you go:

Challenge and Discussion.

Enjoy!

Hmm. I've come across this challenge late, as usual, but would like to give it a go.  Being English, I have a more-than-passing acquaintance with several local pubs, so it would be great fun to go on a pub crawl do some serious research into the area.  I know we've enough to make a challenge, but count me in anyway!

Jay

*giggles*

Do we have a certain person in mind with that thought, Juno...?

As usual, I'm late.

Does it matter *where* & *when* the Pub is operating?

*raises shabby, much used wooden sign with black letters saying: "This is supposed to be my innocent look!"*

*therefore: Juno = innocent looks*

*at you*

Who, me?

A certain person in mind?

*collapses with laughter*

There will be Instant Drabbling on Saturday, August 13. I plan to stay awake all night, so how about you ?

Can you plan a bit of undisturbed internet access for the occasion?

You could say it was for a research project for school or something... or you could also say it's because of the voices in your head, not sure what works better...

Cheers,
Juno

Hi Jay,

You are so right. This Challenge really demands in depth, real life research.

Hehehe.

Cheers,
Juno

Hi Khazar,

I just mentioned to Tanaqui last night how nice it would be to get some pubs outside of Gondor/Dol Amroth. (Said she who plans to write up her three original pubs in Minas Tirith, and one in Dol Amroth.)

Anyway, so long as it's connected to Middle-earth I think any pub, any time should be perfectly fine. I'm not the final word, but that's my understanding of how this challenge works.

Marta

I agree with Marta. The challenge is pubs in Middle Earth. So any time, any place works for me. The more the merrier.

RiverOtter

OT: Allie's back-to-school plans

*le sigh*

Sadly, I doubt that will be possible. I'm going to be packing that weekend, most likely (or procrastinating from packing... take your pick). I move back to school on August 17th, and I'm working until almost the last minute, so time is tight.

Plan on me being considered officially "back" (to HASA/LJ-land, that is) on August 19. I've got to finish up my job at school, which will completely occupy August 17th and 18th.

I'LL BE "BACK" IN 12 DAYS! WOOHOO!

Allie

There will be Instant Drabbling on Saturday, August 13.

Shoot! I'm gone that weekend. (Family's taking my brother to college, and I want to see him off. )

~Nienna

Re: OT: Allie's back-to-school plans

"Packing" or "procrastinating from packing"? What kind of excuses are that? You pack half a suitcase/half a box/bag whatever - then you write a drabble - then you pack the next half of whatever - then you write a drabble...

And I am sure you will be able to think up wonderful drabbles as you are packing...

Yours
Juno

Any pub on Arda is acceptable. At least that's what I think.

Wasn't there a pub on Tol Eressea mentioned somewhere?

Not that I have been there...

So many pubs, so little time!

Cheers,
Juno

I posted an entry for an original Inn located in Rohan. Please let me know if this is the type of thing you had in mind.

Thanks, Chris

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges