Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Realizations

Realizations

Hey guys,

As I was falling asleep last night, a strange nuzgul bit me. It's based loosely on the concept of a round-robin, and I think it could be a lot of fun if people are interested.

I'll post a character to start us out. Say, Gimli. Then the first person interested in joining this challenge will come up with a story idea in which someone, anyone, learns something about Gimli. Let's say that person wants to write a story where Legolas learns that Gimli fought in the Battle of the Five Armies. That person will post saying they want to write a story where Legolas learns something about Gimli. Nothing more specific than that, giving away the story would spoil some of the fun.

Now the second person who wants to join this challenge has to think of a story where someone learns something about Legolas. They likewise post a name, and the third person who wants to join this challenge does a story where a character of *their* choosing learns something about the character who learned something about Legolas.

And on and on we go.

Then we all go off and write and post our stories. It can be as short as a drabble or as long as you like it.

Anyone interested in this? If so, I'll start us off. The starter character will be: Faramir.

Cheers,
Marta

Re: Realizations

This sounds like it would be interesting. Looks like I'm the first person, so if this becomes a challenge, then I have to write about someone learning something about Faramir, right?

Okay, I'll go with this:

I want to write something where Eowyn learns something about Faramir.

I chose Eowyn because I've never ever written her before, not because she's one of the more obvious choices. So it will indeed be a challenge!

Most excellent. Is anyone else game for this? Surely someone had to learn something about Eowyn at some point. I can think of several ideas myself, but am pretty tied up with my own projects. I do look forward to seeing what others might come up with, though!

Marta

I really should have more willpower to resist Nuzgul!  *Sigh*  OK, I'm in.  I can see Legolas learning something about Eowyn, comparing her to the women he has met in Laketown.

Jay

This is a very tempting nuzgul (tasty! yessss!) but I was able to resist until I thought of the perfect pairing for Legolas: Gollum.

Gollum will learn something about Legolas.....

We need only one more. Please, someone? So much fun, learning something about Gollum. Just think of the long list: Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Sauron, Shelob, Aragorn, Faramir (scratch that--Marta's already done him), Bilbo.....

Gandalfs apprentice

Gollum? I am so in. I can never resist the little slimy guy.

So yeah, I'll have Gollum learning something about Bilbo. Anyone up for five?

Marta

Hi Marta! (formerly Evil Woman)

You mean, something about Bilbo learning something about Gollum, right?

Thank you for volunteering, and saving me from myself....

- Barbara

Hi Barbara,

(Formerly Evil Woman)

Uh, that would most definitely be Dwim you're talking about, right? *innocent smile* She's definitely evil. I'm sugar and spice and all that is nice.

You mean, something about Bilbo learning something about Gollum, right?

*sigh* I managed to get confused about my own challenge. It's been too long since I came up with this thing. I'd even come up with a vignette and may still write it, about what Gollum went through to find out Bilbo was from the Shire. Laketown can be such fun. ;-)

Let me think if I can come up with anything about someone learning something about Gollum. My Sam muse has several ideas he wants to whisper in my ear, but they're all too vague for me to commit.

So if someone wants Gollum *nudge nudge* you can have him.

Marta

Back, beast! Gollum is MINE, my precious, MINE!

Actually, I'm willing to trade. If someone else wants to do Gollum learning something about Legolas, I will do the next step: a character learning something about Gollum, or even the step after that, to ensure peace at HASA.

We ought to call this challenge "Six Degrees of Separation" and have six entries, the last of which ends up where it started, in this case, Faramir learning something about XXXX.

G.A. 

P.S. Dwim's depravity pales compared to mine.

I'm willing to take that trade if your still up for it. I may be new here, but the moment I read all of this challange, gollum whispered in my ear...of course, if that is no longer an option, I believe I can play 6th degree. Just let me know who Faramir must learn about!

Laureleaf

I'm not exactly sure who has committed to this challenge and who has not. So far it looks like this:

Linaewen will write about Eowyn learning about Faramir

Jay will write about Legolas learning about Eowyn

G.A. will write about Gollum learning about Legolas (or will trade further down the sequence)

Marta and Elena will do--WHAT?

Laureleaf has volunteered to take on Gollum or Faramir in some fashion.

Do we really have six?  

Gandalfs apprentice 

No, I haven't volunteered for this one....

- Barbara

Marta and Elena will do--WHAT?

I misread the challenge, so I'm not either. So Laureleaf can do Faramir learning something about Gollum, and you need a fifth person learning something about Faramir. Which shouldn't be that hard around here. ;-)

Assuming of course I haven't misunderstood *again*.

Marta

Okay, I'll speak up.... and maybe confuse things even more...

I didn't want to say this before, because GA said Gollum was hers, so I didn't want to butt in..... BUT, I have an idea for the "X learns something about Gollum" phase.... *If* GA is willing to let me have it... in which case, I would choose X to be Aragorn...

Here is what I think we want, if we actually do six of them, as GA suggested.... If not, we only need 5 victims, so skip the Y-character, below....

---

start and end character: Faramir
Note: --> means "learns something about"

Eowyn --> Faramir (Linaewen)

Legolas --> Eowyn (Jay of Lasgalen)

Gollum --> Legolas (GA?, or Laureleaf?)

X --> Gollum (???) (GA?, or ET?) [if ET, then X is Aragorn]

Y --> X (???) (GA?)

Faramir --> Y (Laureleaf?)

Elena Tiriel

I have to admit, I'm also a little baffled about who's doing what. But if you're lacking a sixth player here, I'm game! It sounds like a fun idea.

Shall I confuse things more? I do know what I'm doing -- that's Eowyn learning something about Faramir. However...

If we bring it back to Faramir learning something about someone, are we essentially bringing it back full circle, and closing off the challenge from others? Actually, I suppose not -- because then it's open for someone else (other than Eowyn) to learn something about Faramir, and we can start again!

In which case, I might still have opportunity to take on another character and get Boromir in there somehow...

We are so close to having our challenge now, hope we can figure it out! I better start trying to remember what it was I was going to write about....

I'm willing to trade anywhere in the sequence. How about this: 

Gollum --> Legolas (Laureleaf)

Aragorn --> Gollum (ET)

Denethor --> Aragorn (GA)

Faramir --> Denethor (Eowyn)

As for continuing the challenge, as Linaewen raised, we can either expand this one (does Linaewen want to insert Boromir somewhere in the cycle? Boromir learning about Faramir? and volunteer for two entries?), or we could start "Six Degrees of Separation, Take Two" and try for more!

If anyone wants anything different from the above suggestion, let me know. I figured the choice of Y was up to me, since I'm volunteering for that spot, but if anyone else wants it, Y could be someone else.

G.A. 

Aragorn --> Gollum (ET)

Okay, I'm officially in! Thanks for being so flexible, GA....

- Barbara, who will now probably have to do yet another spate of semi-weakly-related Resources entries... oh, the horror!

Edit: P.S. I suggest just continuing the current challenge, even if we end up with more than six... you can call it Six (or more!) Degrees of Separation....

Edit 2: or even Six Degrees of Separation (but Who's Counting?)

Edit 3: or Six Degrees of Separation for the Numerically Challenged....

Edit 4: Pretty please, can we have a long time limit? Like, nine months at the minimum...

My vote! Six Degrees of Separation for the Numerically Challenged!

Would you rather have a long time limit, or worse, set a word count limit?

Either or neither - i'm in. Thanks for the Flexability G.A...now maby I can get Gollum to be quiet!

Would you rather have a long time limit, or worse, set a word count limit?

LOL! I write drabbles (precisely 100 words long)... don't have enough attention span to write anything longer...

- Barbara

Well, I have a hard time keeping my word count down, so have not been very successful with drabbles -- but I'm willing to go with whatever people want to do. Might be interesting to have each do the kind of writing they like best, whether it be drabble, poem, or what have you. But I'm happy, either way.

My Muse has been a wee bit stagnant of late, so I am hoping this challenge will get me going again! Once we get going, I'll see about jumping in with another character to keep the round robin circling.

If I could, I would share mine...since I decided to start writing it's been bouncing on my head non-stop. I just finished one chapter for another challange, but haven't had it beta'd yet AND i'm 1/2 way through another...And now gollum is dancing up there with her! LOL

sitting in a corner, rocking back & forth, make the bad muse go away!

Your muse dances with Gollum? Eeek! I don't know what you mean about sharing yours?

We ought to have enough time for the entries that no one needs to feel pressured on this one. Six months? I like the "Numerically Challenged" title, and propose we leave the length/format open to author's choice. 

Are we ready to rock 'n' roll?

G.A. 

Well, I have a hard time keeping my word count down, so have not been very successful with drabbles -- but I'm willing to go with whatever people want to do.

Oh, dear! Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I want anyone else to feel obligated to write drabbles! I just want to make sure that, if there is a word limit, it is flexible enough to include drabbles...

Might be interesting to have each do the kind of writing they like best, whether it be drabble, poem, or what have you.

Yes, exactly! I think that's what makes participating in challenges more fun....

- Barbara

Six months?

Noooooo! Please, nine months! *begs piteously*

- Barbara

I'm easy. Whatever!

Isn't Marta the one who started all this, anyway? Woohoo, Marta!

G.A. 

mine = my muse

yeah, their dance is a scary sight! LOL

I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!

Sorry - kids are watching a spongebob marathon.

So if I understand right, we will wait to post until our turn is up, but we're not closing this off (so if someone else comes in they are added OR if we become inspired to write a second set) we can continue past the 6th degree?

Are we done confusing each other yet or did I just do it again?

That's how I understand it -- and I guess that means I'm first at bat!

Edit: First at bat after the preliminary Faramir story, that is...

Woohoo! Can't wait and happy writing.

I think you really are first at bat. Marta's contribution is just to pick the first person. So you write the first "realization": Eowyn realizing something about Faramir.

I don't think we have to post in order of "realizations," nor do the stories have to be sequels of each other. Unless I'm totally confused....

G.A. 

You're right -- I don't wait for a Faramir starter, do I? *sharpens pencil*

I can see how it might kind of naturally flow from one character realization to another, in order, if our muses cooperate -- but I don't think they have to be sequels, either. They wouldn't even have to be in the same time line, I imagine. The characters would really be all that link one tale to the next, right?

The link between the tales is the characters and the theme of "realizations."

I'm curious to see the variety of discoveries! Could be anything! Will Eowyn discover that Faramir snores? Will Legolas discover that Eowyn is a poor shot with a bow? Will Gollum discover that Legolas has a soft heart? Will Aragorn discover that Gollum has very sharp teeth (this seems likely)? As for what Denethor will discover about Aragorn, well, I'm not saying.....

G.A. 

I have to admit that I got confused here, so who is the last character?

Is it Faramir again?

~Vil

9 month deadline brings us to April so April 30th?

Whose setting this up please?

RiverOtter

I could set it up. That would be my first.

~Vil

Hi Vil,

I think this is the current list, unless I've missed something:
[ --> means "learns something about"]

Gollum --> Legolas (Laureleaf)

Aragorn --> Gollum (ET)

Denethor --> Aragorn (GA)

Faramir --> Denethor (Eowyn)

So, if anyone wants to add a new link at the end, it would be:

X --> Faramir (where X is anyone but Éowyn, I believe)

Hope this helps!

- Barbara (ET)

So Challenge is set up:

Realizations and the Discussion
Have fun,

~Vil

I am in as well. So I want Arwen to learn something about Faramir.

~Vil

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges