Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter Crossover Challenge

Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter Crossover Challenge

The final book of Joanne K. Rowling's Harry Potter-series is out (in Germany Deathly Hollows was released 27th of October ;-.)). Perhaps this is a good time to ask you for stories trying to bring those two wonderful books together. Thus I'd like to propose a Lord of the Rings/ Harry Potter-Crossover Challenge.

Crossover stories of those two fandoms will necessarily always be AU, but it might be fascinating to explore certain aspects, which appear in both. Obviously, there are wizards in both the world of The Lord of the Ring and in the wizarding world of Harry Potter, also in both stories an increasingly desperate war of good against evil is waged. In both books, a seemingly powerless group of characters eventually brings about the downfall of the powerful evil antagonist: the hobbits against Sauron in The Lord of the Rings, Harry and his friends against Voldemort in Harry Potter. And both books celebrate the power of friendship, love, and courage against all odds.

Exploring the differences of the books might also make for fascinating stories: the different kinds of magic, for example, subtle and almost unnoticeable in The Lord of the Rings, institutionalized and taught at school in Harry Potter. Or the very different cultures which appear in the books: historical and mythological in LotR, contemporary in HP.

The challenge is asking for cross-over stories no longer than 30.000 characters (approx. 20 pages). The stories should feature the characters, settings, and major story line of The Lord of the Rings as their main setting. I'd love for the stories to stick as close as possible to canon, thus please no OCs. Slash stories are welcome.

Looking forward to whatever magic you come up!
Calanthe

Re: Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter Crossover Challenge

Ooops, with NaNo I forgot to reply to this.

Count me in, since I've already written a HP/Silm crossover.

Chris

Hi, great to hear from you. "The one and true Dark Lord", isn't it ;-)?

If you know of anybody who'd be interested into this Crossover-challenge, please do let them know.

Best, Calanthe

Yeap, that's the one.

I'm not much into fandom anymore, but I'll try to pass the word.

Chris

Thanks so much for spreading the word, wherever ...
Do not drop out of fandom entirely, Werecat. I'd hate to lose a writer as original and gifted as you.
Calanthe

Heh, thanks. *purr*

But tell tat to my fandom Muse (mewes). She left for the Bahamas several months ago and hasn't even sent a postcard yet... And I've got a poor WIP I should finish one of these days. *sigh*

All the best,

Chris

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges