Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Challenge proposal: tiny AUs

Challenge proposal: tiny AUs

Thanks to Dwimordene's birthday prompt we've seen quite a few AU drabbles, dribbles, tribbles and other ficlets this last month. It seems she has really struck a vein of inspiration here... So my suggestion is that we extend this beyond the birthday workshop into a 'proper' challenge. Any takers?

Re: Challenge proposal: tiny AUs

Hi Nath!

Would it be acceptable to enter the drabbles, dribbles, etc. that we wrote already for Dwim? Or would you prefer new works only?

- Barbara

I think I'd prefer new stuff only, but since one of my possible ideas expands on one of my earlier drabbles, I guess the birthday stories should be allowed.  And possibly an upper limit of 1000/1500/2000 words for the challenge; anything more than that really isn't tiny anymore

And running time for the challenge: something like three months? 

Hmm - AU.  Sounds good to me - I have a few ideas based on earlier drabbles.

As long as I can also add my b'day stories, I'm in.

I'd be in, too.

Well, if Gwynnyd will add her birthday stories, I'll add my birthday drabble. AU is not my forte, so I can't count on the muse to come up with anything new.

Of course, I can't count on my muse for anything else, either.... *grumbles at lazy, obstinate muse*

- Barbara

I love AUs.  I'm in. 

I count 7 people: Nath, Barbara, Jay of Lasgalen, Gwynnyd, Vilwarin, Elena Tiriel and Teleri.

Nath, please write up the challenge and set a deadline here. Thanks.

Hi RiverOtter,

I'm very flattered, but I think you may have counted me twice..... ;-)

- Barbara
"Elena Tiriel"

Here you are:

Tiny AU Challenge:

AUs don't have to be multi-thousands of words: an AU can even be written in a drabble... 

The challenge is: write an AU in less than 1500 words, any topic. Existing pieces can be entered (especially those written for Dwim's 2008 birthday challenge, which set off this idea).

Deadline: September 22 (and happy birthday Frodo and Bilbo!). 

Ok, I set up the challenge but I've not yet started a thread. Will do it in the next few days.

I know you've already got your seven people but - I'm number eight!

Hi Vilwarin!

I don't see the challenge on the Challenge List... is there maybe another step you need to take before it becomes public?

- Barbara

Thanks a lot. Some things tend to be overlooked in the midst of chaos. ;) Fixed.

Hi Vilwarin,

{{{Hugs}}} on the chaos... I so understand what you mean!

But I still don't see the Tiny AU Challenge, either in the Latest Challenge box on the front page or in the Recent Challenges list or in the Challenges Search page. And I've refreshed these repeatedly, too, to make sure I'm getting the most up-to-date listings.

Am I just not seeing it? Or is there something else going on?

Sorry to be such a pest....

- Barbara

That's strange. Couln't find it there either. But it's there: http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/challenge_detail.cfm?NGID=533

I could access it through "All Challenges" in the Writers Workshop Links section. There's a link to "open challenges" on the left.

Hi Vilwarin,

Thank you for posting the link to the challenge. Judging by the fact that I was the only one to sign up, apparently I wasn't the only one to have a hard time finding it....

Perhaps it isn't showing up in the challenge list because it's set up as a workshop challenge, instead of a regular challenge?

- Barbara

I have entered the two I did for Dwim and have also put in a placeholder for the other idea I had....  darn, nibbly nuzguls! Off my ankle!

Gwynnyd

Perhaps it isn't showing up in the challenge list because it's set up as a workshop challenge, instead of a regular challenge?

No. It's a regular challenge. "The Writer's Workshop" is just the name for the author members these days.  Go to the "All Challenges" link under "Sections" below the "Writers Workshop Links" divider line, not the one that is plain "Challenges" above it.

Gwynnyd 

Hi Gwynnyd,

I have entered the two I did for Dwim and have also put in a placeholder for the other idea I had.... darn, nibbly nuzguls! Off my ankle!

Bwahahahahaha! Dwim's birthday prompt and Nath's challenge are really irresistible, aren't they?

Harrumph... they managed to get past my Teflon anti-fang hip boots.....

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges