Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Find it here.

Deadline (gosh, that sounds wrong given the premise of this challenge ;-) ): February 20, 2004.

Re: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Sorry to be coming to this so late, but now that this is a challenge, I find myself in the unique position of being spoiled for choice--I must be one of the few who has written Faramir sans angst all the time.

So everybody tell me what they prefer: using an existing story, or writing a new one? I've been kicking around an idea for a sequel to a fic of Ariel's, that would involve Faramir enjoying one last drunken night on the tiles with elf, dwarf, & hobbits. They all end up at Minas Tirith's best whorehouse, where Faramir & Legolas discover to their chagrin that not all human women prefer tall men.

But do I have time to write it? Who knows--I certainly don't at this point.

Regina

They all end up at Minas Tirith's best whorehouse, where Faramir & Legolas discover to their chagrin that not all human women prefer tall men.

Well, for what it's worth, you've got at least one reader -- me. Sounds fabulous. But now you've got me wondering. Do the women of MT prefer their short men of the hairy-face or hairy-foot variety?

Personally, I'm tempted by a scenario that would usually be played up, angst-wise for all its worth, but doing it in a non-angsty fashion. It would involve Faramir taking a teenage-Elboron to see the Argonath and stopping at Boromir's grave. But it definitely wouldn't be angsty. (Really, you can trust me on this one!)

I'm also playing with the idea of Faramir, around eighteen or so, spending the summer in Dol Amroth. I haven't worked out all the details in my mind, but it would involve Faramir being propositioned by a prostitute, but because of the differing customs between the lands in such things he doesn't realize he's accepting. Could be quite humorous.

But do I have time to write it?

Well, you have the better part of three months...

Marta

Well, I had already been mulling over an idea for a happy Faramir story when this was proposed, so I managed to finish up my piece for this. It's posted here: A Good Number

Comments are greatly appreciated--the piece is rather rough right now.

Mel

Dwim, should that link be opening up the challenge information in the Admin side of the site?

Hi Regina

I find myself in the unique position of being spoiled for choice--I must be one of the few who has written Faramir sans angst all the time.

Yes, you were one of the people I cited when I was originally discussing this. But I think Faramir tends to be somewhat on the periphery in most of your stories, doesn't he? So it would be great if you could write the idea you describe above, where he is definitely central.

(And, in any case, I think I would very much like to read that story and find out what happens...!)

Cheers, Liz

(PS - thanks also to Marta and Dwim for sorting the challenge out and setting it up)

(PS - thanks also to Marta and Dwim for sorting the challenge out and setting it up)

No problem. But I really didn't doo much. Don't feel like you have to even mention me. I don't deserve any credit/blame at all for this... 'tis all your doing, Liz. ;-)

Seriously, though, any time you or anyone else has an idea I'll be more than happy to help set it up.

Marta

[Edit: Just realized I was still logged in under hawriters when I wrote this; sorry about that. Will be more careful in the future.]

'tis all your doing, Liz. ;-)

Don't tell them that, Marta!

*starts looking for a place to hide for when the lynch mob arrives*

*starts looking for a place to hide for when the lynch mob arrives*

Hey, no need to hide! I had a lot of fun writing mine, and it was great to have an excuse to write Faramir fluff.

Mel

No, it shouldn't, Una. Thanks for pointing that out - I've fixed the link so it goes to the proper non-administrative page.

Cel

All right, I just finished my piece. "Wine is Fine, but Ale Works As Well," in which Faramir stays completely non-angsty if not altogether sober.

It's in the general section (I think). Going to add it to the challenge momentarily. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated. This piece involves Faramir, Legolas, Merry and Pippin, and is set on the evening of Aragorn and Arwen's wedding.

Marta

[Edit: I caught some mistakes last night re: POV in the first part of the story. Changed them. Then come this morning I find that those changes aren't showing up -- probably I just copied and pasted out of an older version or something. Anyway, the story should be right by now.]

Please may I play!!!

I have an idea for a story...that is to say Faramir keeps waking me up at three in the morning pestering me to make him happy(!!!!).

It focusses on 8 year old Faramir, Boromir and Eowyn, and involves chickenpox, a Dragon's Egg, a wizard and a prophesy.

Helen

Helen

Please may I play!!!

Please do!!!

I have an idea for a story...that is to say Faramir keeps waking me up at three in the morning pestering me to make him happy(!!!!).

But do you want that to stop?

It focusses on 8 year old Faramir, Boromir and Eowyn, and involves chickenpox, a Dragon's Egg, a wizard and a prophesy.

Sounds fun - look forward to seeing it.

Cheers, Liz

Hi,

'A dragon's Egg' is now posted in Beta and I would love some feedback either here or on my linked discussion.

Is it soppy?...Yes

Is it corny...absolutely!!!

Don't you just love that man!!!

Happy New Year to All

Helen. (Who is off to a darkened room to calm down)

Hi,

'Adoration' is now posted in beta.

Just a short little number, but you did ask us to make him happy!!

Just doing my duty.

Helen

My entry to the challenge, Weighty Praise can be found here.

Beta questions include: does this even qualify for the Challenge? Is the language too 'modern'? If yes, where? I'm switching tenses a few times, mostly on purpose. Does it make the story stronger? Or merely confusing? Any other comments are welcome too, of course

Be afraid. Be very afraid. For the first part of "The Best Brew in Buckland" is now in Beta. Faramir is joining Eomer, Gimli, Merry, and Pippin on what can only be described as the Middle-earth equivalent of a pub crawl.

This is not linked to the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" challenge yet, but it will be when finished. "Best Brew" is humour, and is a sequel to "Wine is Fine."

Please feel free to comment at my forum.

Marta

Well, I guess I came extremely late to this challenge, but when you get a Nuzgul off of it, one can never ignore it, ne? ^_^;

Missed the deadline (having just joined HA and all), but if anyone's interested, the ficlet that came out of my head for this challenge can be found at fanfiction.net at http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1757999

(Apologies if this post is clumsy. Still learning the system.)

Berz.

:
Well, I guess I came extremely late to this challenge, but when you get a Nuzgul off of it, one can never ignore it, ne?

Never ignore a Nuzgul. The neglected ones always come back to bite you.

Your story was very sweet and fits quite with the spirit of the Challenge. I enjoyed it.

Gwynnyd

Welcome! I've just converted your stories addy to a link to make it simple for people to find it - Berz's story

Can I suggest that you also post it over here - either in beta if you would welcome beta type comments or in general if you would just like to share it?

Cheers,

Avon

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions