Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Solstice

Solstice

I just finished reading Dwim's Candles. I didn't expect to be quite as effected as I was. I'm an Elf-fancier. Halbarad has not really gotten my attention thus far. But this brought tears to my eyes. It's a beautiful story. It reminded me of Jewish customs at Passover with the questions and Hannukah (which I'm probably mispelling) with the candles. And the recititation of the four sources of light--wonderful. The words the mother starts with brought Gollum's Song immediately to mind but then diverged from that.

Overall, a great short story.

Una's also, I've read though I'm forgetting the title. Faramir's speech to his men was very moving. I've sent her feedback via e-mail.

--Ainaechoiriel

Re: Solstice

I didn't expect to be quite as effected as I was. I'm an Elf-fancier. Halbarad has not really gotten my attention thus far. But this brought tears to my eyes.

Well, now, that's the sort of reaction I could wish for for any of my fics. Thank you!

It reminded me of Jewish customs at Passover with the questions and Hannukah

I had thought of that, and admittedly did want some sort of echo with that tradition, even though my knowledge of Jewish custom is fairly superficial-- "what everyone knows" probably describes it best. Hence the asking of questions.

The candles, though, come more from Advent. We used to light them as kids, and that single special pink one drove me insane. Especially since it didn't come at the *end* like it darned well ought to, being so special and all. So I indulged my compulsively symmetrical side and made sure there were two white and two red this time.

The words the mother starts with brought Gollum's Song immediately to mind but then diverged from that.

[blush] Is that where it came from? I don't have the CD and can't identify Gollum's song by ear. But it's possible. The line "Here once was light" came pretty quickly to mind....

Una's also, I've read though I'm forgetting the title. Faramir's speech to his men was very moving.

Thanks, Ainae; I wasn't sure if I'd overdone the sentimentality or not.

Re Candles

I'm not very good at giving feedback, so the most anyone will proabably get out from me is, "great!". Especially for your work, Dwim, since it's always so well-written beyond my perception.

I quite liked the candle lighting bit, it was very... heart warming. Plus, I thought that the lines "Eärendil above us, Elendil beyond us, Isildur beneath us, Envinyatar before us." were very meaningful.

Una, no it wasn't too sentimental at all. Nice reversal of the East-West symbology of M-e by Faramir (but we expect such of him, clever boy). It's a bleak winter for all of them in Henneth Annûn, and there's no particular reason for happiness and holiday cheer to make itself felt; a determined speech that'll help put some of the fire back in people's resolutions, on the other hand, works very well.

Klose, thanks. I worried a bit over shoving that line in there. I thought it might have been overkill, but I so liked how it tied things up, and repetition is always important in these sorts of little rituals: the repetition of lighting candles each week, of naming the colors, of having the same lines (oops, disruption! Halbarad freaks out), of saying the same things every year, etc. Renaming the 'lights' of the North just seemed the thing to do.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions