Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Three Colours Trilogy Challenge

Three Colours Trilogy Challenge

Hey all, Feel free to discuss here. nrink

Re: Three Colours Trilogy Challenge

I've just posted The Purple Dress. This is part 1 of a planned entry in the Tri-colour challenge. Nrink mentioned that someone might like to set one story in the Silm, one in TH and one in LOTR – and I decided to take her up on that. I also decided to give myself some other rules. Each story has to be 500 words exactly and each will be written in a different POV. Writing a story based on the Silm is a bit of a stretch for me and it is still first draft so if anyone wants to pick any holes please do go ahead. (Here's fine or in my discussion.) Avon

Avon, I'm so pleased that someone's doing *all* three! (mwahahaha! Gotcha!) I've looked quickly at The Purple Dress and the first thing that struck me was the immense irony - & arrogance of the Numenoreans before the fall. You've captured that very well. I have a few small nitpicky bits & I'll come back with my comments in a while - probably in your forum. Btw, we ought to make up a name for the 500 word story. If a drabble's a hundred words, 500 should perhaps be, quintdrabble? After all, the naming of things is very much a Tolkien tradition. cheers, nrink

Btw, we ought to make up a name for the 500 word story. If a drabble's a hundred words, 500 should perhaps be, quintdrabble? After all, the naming of things is very much a Tolkien tradition. How about a "quintribble"? It combines the tradition of naming in Tolkien stories, bastardized Latin, and reference to small, furry, prodigiously multiplying balls of innocent-seeming fuzz which have an unexpected penchant for causing problems.

I'm so pleased that someone's doing *all* three! (mwahahaha! Gotcha!) Hmmm.... and generally I'm pretty nuzgul/challenge resistant. The annoying thing is that it is the LOTR story I'm currently stuck on - yet that's what I write! If you have the time any comments would certainly be appreciated. It's a very quickly done first draft so far. It was funny though - my unnamed OFC just grabbed the story and ran away with it. Quintdrabble is cute but the Trekkie in me is definitely amused by the idea of a quintribble. ;-) Just thought - has any researched the genetic lines of nuzguls? I could *easily* see them having some tribble in them. ;-)

Wicked! Quintribble it is. *tribbledee tribbledoo*... Btw, for anyone else who's interested, I've dug up something on the colours and symbolism of gemstones: http://www.geocities.com/dragar.geo/Grim/gems.html Extract below: Amethyst a purple or violet variety of quartz or a purple variety of corundum* Amethyst is used to increase spirituality. Often it is given as a symbol of sincerity, security, and peace of mind. It is said to offer protection from poisons and toxins. Aquamarine a transparent, pale bluish-green variety of beryl** Aquamarine is often used to experience love and mercy. It is said to help ease depression and grief. Bloodstone a semiprecious, dark-green variety of quartz spotted with red jasper Helps against poisons, and promotes courage. The Bloodstone helps to concentrate mana. Any caster knows that the probability of success and the force of incantation increases with the bloodstone worn. Diamond a mineral consisting of nearly pure carbon in crystalline form, usually colourless, the hardest natural substance known Diamond is the emblem of fearlessness and invincibility. It is referred to as the King Gem. Emerald a bright-green, transparent precious stone; either a green variety of beryl** or corundum* According to legend, emeralds strengthen the owner's memory, quicken the intelligence, and assist in predicting the future. It also promotes physical healing. Garnet a deep red gemstone occurring chiefly as well-formed crystals in metamorphic rocks Garnet is given as a symbol of consistency, perseverance, and good health. According to legend garnet gives its wearer guidance in night travel, protects from nightmares, promotes long-lasting love, and prevents depression and hearing difficulties. Jade a hard, translucent silicate (mineral), usually deep green or white Jade provides protection from evil spirits, ghosts, devils, demons and general bad luck. Moonstone a milky-white, translucent feldspar with a pearly luster Moonstone helps one to see the future or the past. Opal an amorphous glassy mineral of various colours, capable of refracting light and then reflecting it in a play of colours one variety is the fire opal which is a semiprecious stone Opal is used to see possibilities. Opal has been described in medieval times as a cure for diseases of the eye. It is given as a symbol of hope, happiness, and truth. Opals help in seeing the future. It is said to bring bad luck should one be worn on the left hand. Pearl a smooth, hard, usually white or bluish-gray gem formed around a grain of sand, parasite, or other foreign body within the shell of some oysters and certain other mollusks Pearl is often referred to as the Queen Gem. As an emblem of modesty, chastity and purity, the pearl symbolizes love, success, and happiness. It often symbolizes a happy marriage and in many countries is used as a wedding gift. Pearls are also said to help in charms - increasing the acceptability of a person. Peridot a veriety of yellowish-green crystal found in highly basic igneous rocks Peridot is used to help dreams become a reality. Peridot is given as a symbol of fame, dignity, and protection. Ruby a semiprecious clear, deep-red variety of corundum* Ruby is said to open one's heart to love. Rubies were thought to ward off misfortune, ill-health, and fear. They are a symbol of success, devotion, and integrity. Rubies are given to express passion and promise of their heart. Sapphire a hard, transparent precious stone of a clear, deep-blue corundum* Kings used to wear sapphire around their necks as a powerful defense against harm. Sapphire represents truth, sincerity, and consistency. They are given to express the commitment and loyalty of their heart. Because it represents truth, sapphires are said to defend against illusions. Topaz a white, yellow, pale-blue, or pale-green crystal; OR a yellow variety of sapphire Topaz is used for strength. In ancient times, the figure of a falcon carved on a topaz was thought to help acquire the good-will of kings, princes, and magnates. Turquoise a semiprecious stone, typically greenish-blue Turquoise was thought to warn the wearer of danger or illness by changing colour. In the thirteenth century, turquoise was though to protect the wearer from falling - specially from horses. It was believed to bring happiness and aid in loyalty. nrink

Amethyst a purple or violet variety of quartz or a purple variety of corundum* Amethyst is used to increase spirituality. Often it is given as a symbol of sincerity, security, and peace of mind. It is said to offer protection from poisons and toxins.
I have a special affinity for amethyst as it's my birthstone, and I have some special earrings and a pendent with amethysts in antique gold settings. The story I have always heard relating to amethysts is that Roman matrons wore them as amethysts were supposed to ensure their husbands' fidelity - I guess that would give them "peace of mind" and "security." ~Nessime

Well, I just posted White For Mourning, but am in two minds as to whether I should commit myself to writing two more 'colour' stories or not.

It'd be a real pity if you left White all to its lonesome little self. I can hear it crying out for company. Now that you've written the "other" side, you really must have something from the Gondorian/Rohirric perspective. Anyway the challenge closes in a year or so - you'll have plenty of time to stew up two more juicy stories. And they don't necessarily have to be stories either - poems and drabbles should do nicely. cheers, nrink

The story I have always heard relating to amethysts is that Roman matrons wore them as amethysts were supposed to ensure their husbands' fidelity - I guess that would give them "peace of mind" and "security." Aha! I wonder if Celebrimbor ever made an amethyst ring... what if there were once 4 elven rings?... hmm... ;-) nrink

At last ! Just put up the first part of my trilogy, a long rambling thing called In the Forest Singing Sorrowless. It's still in a beta state, so all comments are welcome over in my forum. cheers nrink

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions