Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: When Out the Hellish Legion Sallied...

When Out the Hellish Legion Sallied...

Ok...bone to pick with whoever wrote up this challenge... Frighten your favourite elfling with a story of Ungoliant, Taur-nu-Fuin, or Fëanor. Fëanor? Really? How can you put Fëanor in the same league as Ungoliant? Poor, misunderstood Fëanor... Plus Evil must have terrors of it's own...like that nasty Lúthien. You all just luvvvvv encouraging my Morgoth!Muse, don't you.... bad things happen when he starts writing....bad things.... Arandil (who can NOT take on any more Nuzguls...I mean it...)

Re: When Out the Hellish Legion Sallied...

>>Fëanor? Really? How can you put Fëanor in the same league as Ungoliant? Poor, misunderstood Fëanor... Come now...Fëanor is mad as a hatter. How do you know he doesn't lurk under the beds of naughty little wood-elflings? >>You all just luvvvvv encouraging my Morgoth!Muse, don't you.... bad things happen when he starts writing....bad things.... At every opportunity! ;), Elemmíre

How can you put Fëanor in the same league as Ungoliant? Poor, misunderstood Fëanor . . . I agree. Come on, you people, show a little sympathy for the most wrongfully stigmatized character in Middle-Earth! Wasn't his story tragic enough without being labelled a nutcase? This challenge is rousing my Sadistic!Muse. How to terrify innocent young Hobbits most satisfyingly? This could be fun, very fun indeed, precious . . . Beruthiel, who must see if she can find a Muse-leash.

Fëanor? Really? How can you put Fëanor in the same league as Ungoliant? Poor, misunderstood Fëanor... I sympathise. Feanor is such a nice Elf! It's not his fault that his crafts were wonderful, or that he loved his work. Poor Elf. Oh, god. I suddenly have this amusing vision of little Balroglings (ref. Dragon's stories) sitting in awe, as old Uncle Moringotto enchants them with tales of that evil, evil Fingolfin... "Did it hurt, Uncle Moringotto?"

Come now...Fëanor is mad as a hatter. How do you know he doesn't lurk under the beds of naughty little wood-elflings? Hmm….if I’m naughty will he come lurk under my bed? .......................... Beruthiel, who must see if she can find a Muse-leash. Maybe it’s in the drawer next to the ever-elusive Nuzgul-repellant… .......................... I sympathise. Feanor is such a nice Elf! It's not his fault that his crafts were wonderful, or that he loved his work. Poor Elf. *nods vigorously* Whoever wrote the history was just jealous...

Whoops, double post. Sorry 'bout that!

Hmm….if I’m naughty will he come lurk under my bed? *fervent nod* I wouldn't mind that at all...

I want to write something for this challenge so badly! But the inspiration's gone, and I've started to go over the text again, hoping something there will click and bring the muse back... Could you, please, clarify what is meant by "precautionary tale"? Does it have to be the character telling the story to someone else, or the character experiencing fear first-hand? Starlight terribly uninspired...

I'm not certain that this is quite what the challenge wanted - but it's the best I can do. This is an elvish ghost story drabble, a scene with Legolas and Gimli. The Houseless Ones Jay

Could you, please, clarify what is meant by "precautionary tale"? Does it have to be the character telling the story to someone else, or the character experiencing fear first-hand? Hi Starlight, My gut sense of the term "precautionary tale" is that usually it's someone who was not involved doing the telling -- that is, that it wouldn't be *quite* so precautionary if the people involved in the doing wised up before the end of the tale! Just my two cents... (But I haven't read the description, so have no idea whether either would be acceptable for this challenge.) - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions