Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Runaway Aragorn

Runaway Aragorn

A home for discussion on Runaway Aragorn stories!

Re: Runaway Aragorn

I read this challenge idea and now I can't stop thinking about it. It reminds me of Tennyson's "Ullyses." I'm totally new to this forum and I'm not sure what I need to do next to participate (besides start writing). What's the next step?

and another victim falls beneath the nuzgul's fangs! I don't know if we have any Challenge Managers currently around (the situation is somewhat confusing) and I *can* actually answer your question (I think) so here it goes. If you go the actual challenge page (find it here) you will see a link (middle/top of page) where it says "Enter this challenge". That'll take you to a little form where you can pick the story you want to enter. Or, if you haven't written and posted the story yet, you can choose No Story At This Time. Select your audience (HASA members only or Public), press Add and voila, you have entered the Challenge. Easy, eh? To be fair, the *entering* of challenges is the easy part. The hard part is writing the story and steering clear of further nuzgul as much as you can before you get overwhelmed. Hope that helps, Amanda.

Cheers, Amanda for answering this. You've got it pat. I am currently the only CM about, and things have been a bit busy - so please bear with us everyone! nrink

Thanks, Amanda. I appreciate the help. Still, I feel a little like Pipin; "Great. Where are we going?" Wordweaver

Still, I feel a little like Pipin; "Great. Where are we going?" Yes, I remember how that feels! HASA has so many goodies, it can be overwhelming. But look on the bright side: you managed to find the funnest forum of them all *and* gained your first nuzgul bite, all in the space of a few days since joining. You're on the fast track to becoming a HASA veteran (Oh, and just in case: "nuzgul" is what we call plot bunnies here. They look rather innocent, but have sharp fangs that will hold on until their story is written. I'm told the only thing that offers protection is full mithril armor) Give it a try (BTW, the FAQs can answer quite a lot of questions and help in posting stories and joining challenges). If you run into trouble, I'm sure our friendly Welcome Manager or her lovely assistents will give you a hand. * at WM and points at Wordweaver* "Helloo! Newbie here requiring proper welcome!" Amanda.

Wordweaver-Took, here again to plague you with foolish questions. Why are some challenge entries designated HASA members only, and some are marked public? What's the difference and why choose one and not the other? How much leeway is generally permitted from the exact wording of the challenge? The Nuzgul bug that infected my brain has mutated a bit and given Aragorn a slightly different motivation than that stated originally. Oh, here's one I almost forgot! This challenge goes until next October, but at the feverish pace I'm writing (this Nuzgul's a harsh taskmaster) I should be done long before then. Do I post my story as soon as it's done, or wait for a due date? If you post as soon as you finish, do others entered in the challenge read what's been posted already, or not? "'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less?'" Thanks, Wordweaver

All righty... I'm one of the friendly CMs here, here to answer your questions! Wordweaver-Took, here again to plague you with foolish questions. No questions are foolish! Welcome to the joys of challenges, Wordweaver! Why are some challenge entries designated HASA members only, and some are marked public? The author chooses which crowd s/he wants to show the story to. This allows authors to enter stories in challenges that are still in the beta stage (still being edited and revised), that they don't want the general public to see once the challenge is closed and they've finished editing it. What's the difference and why choose one and not the other? HASA Members Only means that your entry will be viewable only to members of the site once the challenge is closed, not the general public. Again, once you finish the story completely, you can change the challenge setting of the story to public, and the general public will be able to see it. How much leeway is generally permitted from the exact wording of the challenge? The Nuzgul bug that infected my brain has mutated a bit and given Aragorn a slightly different motivation than that stated originally. I know this challenge is pretty specific, so post your question about departure from the prompt in this thread, and the creator of the challenge (Eruwestial) should get back to you. Or you could e-mail Eruwestial from the contact a member feature here on this site (Go to member list, and everyone is listed there). Oh, here's one I almost forgot! This challenge goes until next October, but at the feverish pace I'm writing (this Nuzgul's a harsh taskmaster) I should be done long before then. Do I post my story as soon as it's done, or wait for a due date? No. You can enter your story in the challenge as soon as you wish! It will not be visible to the public until the challenge is closed (and only then if you set it to public). If you post as soon as you finish, do others entered in the challenge read what's been posted already, or not? When you enter your story in the challenge, if the story itself is set so other members can view it, than yes, others will be able to read it. It is not available to the general public until the challenge is closed. I hope that I have answered your questions, and not confused you completely! Always, Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions