Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Your Favorite Poem!

Your Favorite Poem!

Your Favorite Poem, spawned by the ever-imaginative JunoMagic, has arrived! What can you do with your favorite poem in Middle-earth? Check out the prompt, and see the possibilities... Allie

Re: Your Favorite Poem!

Thank you for that compliment, Allie! Now let's hope that my muses are cooperative on this one! Yours Juno

I'm certainly in! I have too many well-loved poems to call any my favourite, but I've been meaning to write some gloses, based maybe on the following, and this seems like the perfect excuse! I am haunted by numberless islands, and many a Danaan shore, Where Time would surely forget us, and Sorrow come near us no more; Soon far from the rose and the lily and the fret of the flames would we be, Were we only white birds, my beloved, buoyed out on the foam of the sea! --Yeats, "The White Birds" She walks in beauty, like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all that 's best of dark and bright Meet in her aspect and her eyes: --Byron, "She Walks in Beauty" Why wilt thou ever scare me with thy tears, And make me tremble lest a saying learnt, In days far-off, on that dark earth, be true? "The Gods themselves cannot recall their gifts." -Tennyson, "Tithonus" Whereto answering, the sea, Delaying not, hurrying not, Whisper’d me through the night, and very plainly before day-break, Lisp’d to me the low and delicious word DEATH; -Whitman, "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking" So...what are other folks doing? (And if any of the above inspire you, feel free to explore them!) , Elemmíre

Hi Elemmíre, I have already entered the Challenge with a story inspired by the poem "How Do I Love Thee" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. But I have also written a short story about the poem "The Bards" by Sidney Keyes, which is called "The Harper" and can be found in the Public Archive. I have also participated in the WWI Poets' Challenge with a short story based on "The Army of Death" by Charles Hamilton Sorley. Apart from that many chapters in my fanfiction novels are inspired by poems or refer to poems. As you can see I have also way too many beloved poems to be really able to choose one above all others. But poems often move my heart to write more... Yours Juno

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions