Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Mother's Day Challenge

Mother's Day Challenge

Come here to talk about ideas, story development, and actual stories as those come trickling in as the deadline approaches.

Re: Mother's Day Challenge

All right. I'm officially on board. I have three ideas so far, trying to narrow it down. The one that I am MOST thinking about, is probably going to make everyone groan and anticipate something twinkish, so I won't reveal it until I am satisfied with my progress.
After that one, I'm going to attack Galadriel/Celebrian.

-K

I won't reveal it until I am satisfied with my progress.

Evil, evil!! Now you've managed to get me curious! I wonder what your idea might be.... hmmmm...... (can hardly wait to see something!) Good luck with that piece.

I'd also very much like to read Galadriel/Celebrían. For some reason she is a character that has never appealed much to me, and I just wonder why that is! And, I would love to see Galadriel as a mother. Most of the stories I have read featuring her deal with her youth (well, not quite "youth" but, of her courtship with Celeborn or her life in Valinor) It would be great to visualize what kind of interaction existed between them.

I am very intrigued and interested in your ideas, Kirixchi! Now, would you tell us what the third one is?

Okay, well, I spent most of the day plotting out my idea in Dramatica, so I am willing to spill it now, as *hopeful* I will have a beta to float around this weekend. (it is a SHORT story).
It is called "Flying Lessons" and it is about (*everyone prepare to groan*) Legolas and his OFC mama after the ring wars. I guess the "mommy-theme" is how mothers sometimes make their children do things they don't want to do that are for their own good?

I promise to work on Celebrian/Galadiriel next. This one just sort of welled up out of nowhere Starlight.

The third idea is a sort of sketchy one about Eowyn and her daughter (probably going to ask Una if I can borrow "Morwen" for a name) and how, in my experience as a mother at least, the maternal desire to give your children the life you never had but always wanted often locks horns with the cold fact that your children usually don't WANT the life that you always wanted....just trying to figure out how to translate being forced to take piano lessons for thirteen fricking years (me=still bitter) into middle earth, lol.

- K, hoping she doesn't let too much of her RL Mother/daughter angst leak into the stories.

Okay, well, I spent most of the day plotting out my idea

Do you do that, too? It seems that these days I live more on ME than I do at home! I have a feeling this might be dangerous in th long run... hehehehe

It is called "Flying Lessons" and it is about (*everyone prepare to groan*) Legolas and his OFC mama after the ring wars. I guess the "mommy-theme" is how mothers sometimes make their children do things they don't want to do that are for their own good?

Interesting, Kirixchi! It is a fine premise, and I believe you will have much fun writing about this one. And, I am very curious by the time frame you've chosen. So... Legolas is back in Eryn Lasgalen after the Ring Wars and has a nice talk with Thranduil's lady. What will she say to him, and what is it that he must do? Could it be that he wishes to go to Ithilien but feels he mustn't? Or, perhaps, it is his yearning for the sea that is taking over him? Or, could it be about his relationship with Gimli? I am thinking about a few possibilities around this idea and, believe me, I will be looking forward to read what you write. I think the concept is perfect, since that is pretty much what mothers do: they encourage (rather, force us, sometimes) to do things that we would not do for ourselves but we must. I think the story will turn out beautiful.

I promise to work on Celebrian/Galadiriel next.
Pleae, please, please!

The third idea is a sort of sketchy one about Eowyn and her daughter (probably going to ask Una if I can borrow "Morwen" for a name) and how, in my experience as a mother at least, the maternal desire to give your children the life you never had but always wanted often locks horns with the cold fact that your children usually don't WANT the life that you always wanted....

That would be perfect for Eowyn! Indeed, I can just see it happen. Teenage daughter Morwen locked up in her room reading, and then mama kind of rides about, passing by her window in a beautiful white stallion, and then she stops and lets the horse play about, eat from the grass that grows under her daughter's window, and then Morwen shuts the window closed. Or, perphas, could Eowyn "accidentally" leave her sword in Morwen's room? And what happens when she "encourages" (we all know what it means in mother language) the girl to go out riding with her brothers?

just trying to figure out how to translate being forced to take piano lessons for thirteen fricking years (me=still bitter) into middle earth, lol.
Been there! Are you still bitter? lol!
I just figure perhaps Legolas had no idea how those singing lessons would come in so handy many years later when camping with the felowship by Nimrodel!

I started something, but now that I re-read the Challenge, I'm not sure that it's really appropriate, particularly since the Mom in question doesn't appear at all, so I think I'll just post it to General when it's done, and let you all take a look at it.

It has also distracted me from Captain 44 again, blast it all! You people who want me to update--put a leash on Dwim the Evil One!

I started something

Ah, remember those halcyon days when your mantra was "don't start another fic--you'll end up like Dwim"? Good call, wasn't it?

It has also distracted me from Captain 44 again, blast it all! You people who want me to update--put a leash on Dwim the Evil One!

Reason number 5 for being a Challenge Manager: "You're a sadist--the agonized groans, the cries of denial, the whimpers of the nuzgul-afflicted, the pleas for mercy from those whom you've singled out--ahh, music to your ears!"

You have found your life's calling, Dwim.

Foul Dwimmerlaik, indeed....

Ah, remember those halcyon days when your mantra was "don't start another fic--you'll end up like Dwim"? Good call, wasn't it?

I recollect telling someone the other day (I think it was Una), that I was officially a victim of Dwimordene Syndrome now. You carrier, you.

FYI --

I posted the first sniplet of "Flying Lessons". It probably isn't really ready to be seen in the harsh light of day, so if you read it, feel free to critique mercilessly. The "mom" part comes next, I promise. I just sort of felt "unclean" leaving a "Placeholder" up, after I had argued so vehemently against them!
Anyhow, more to follow, then to Galadriel, then to (possibly) Eowyn, then to "Dram of Evil/Seed of Goodness" and then to RUN LIKE HELL to someplace that Dwim can't find me!!!!!

-K

But clearly you can't escape me, when we even switch login IDs due to the inscrutable workings of code.

Dwim

I've posted a rough beta of my story for this challenge, but i'm not sure that it fits the challenge. The challege seems to be about the effects of a mother on one of the characters, i.e. Findulas' impact on Boromir and Faramir (and there go my ankles again...) rather than a mother's thoughts on her child. (Eowyn, in this case, thinking about a OFCdaughter)

Does the stuff i've put up fit the challege?

I've added to "Flying Lessons". Yalie's Oscar scene is there now. It still needs to be cleaned up, but I'm fairly pleased with how it is taking shape. How is everyone else coming along? Kerosene, I am heading over to read your story next. I will let you know what I think- I don't think that the rules of challenge accepting are super-strict. I think that Dwim just likes to get us writing! But I will let you know.

Now, starlight, some bad news....I know that I PROMISED to do Galadriel/Celebrian next, but I am being nibbled on by another idea. Do you remember the thread on the list the other day...or maybe it was one of these forums- where someone said that Legolas was like a "Hillbilly Elf" in the big city when he went to Rivendell. Something about that image just won't get out of my mind: I can't let go of the humorous possibilities of Legolas at Aragorn and Arwen's wedding, with the representatives of the Elven Realms in attendance, MORTIFIED at the prospect that his mother and father are going to embarass him....I mean, picture it: Galadriel and Celeborn all shining and white. Stately, raven haired Elrond looking so wise and self-possessed.....all the while poor Legolas has visions of his mother: barefoot with a flower-wreath in her hair, and his father (with a little TOO much wine and a jewel encrusted ensemble that would make Liberace drool) showing up...I'd probably have to take it out of canon (oh, could mom be pregnant- the horror!) to fully exploit the potential for hilarity, but its there....

If you can squash that Nazgul, I'll be at your service in another day or so when Flying Lessons is done.

-Kirixchi

Oh, how funny! Please, do go on with that one! It just seems hilarious, and with a huge potential for exploring and just having a good time in writing it. Looking forward to it!

Starlight
(who is off to read Flying Lessons and Kerosene's entry to the Mother's Day Challenge... This is great guys!)

I'm thinking of one about Anaire (Fingolfin's wife) and her kids (Fingon, Turgon, Argon and Aredhel)... as a family, they are quite under written. Anaire herself is fairly neglected. What do you guys think?

Klose:
I like your ideas! I Think that the "off the beaten path" ones will be even MORE interesting to read, since we won't have as much of an idea of what to expect!
-Kirixchi

It seems this challenge is real nuzgul fodder, at least for me.

I have posted a vignette about young Legolas and his Mother, to the challenge. It is a story I had already written, but I have reworked it a little.

I am now working on a more complex story about Thranduil and his mother, set when he returns from the battle of the Last Alliance.

jenolas

Oh! V. cool- off to read it. Please post your thoughts re: Thranduil in my Thranduil thread. The more defenders the better! (you ARE a defender. aren't you?)
*hugs*
-Kirixchi

I'm thinking of one about Anaire (Fingolfin's wife) and her kids (Fingon, Turgon, Argon and Aredhel)... as a family, they are quite under written. Anaire herself is fairly neglected. What do you guys think?

Indeed! This could be *so* interesting to write as it would be to read. Can you imagine all the possibilities, not only as to time-frame, but also regarding the theme itself.... hmmmm.... I'm already intrigued. What would you chose as your time-frame? Will this take place when they are still young? (yes, elf-standard young) Or, perhaps a little before everybody leaves Valinor? A family reunion? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Good luck

Starlight
(off to read Jenolas' pice. Kirixchi, I didn't know you were a Thranduil fan! Where can I find your Thranduil thread?)

"you ARE a defender. aren't you?"

-Kirixchi

Most definitely!!

jenolas (elder Elf fancier)

jenolas, thanks for posting your two cents and THANK YOU so much for the story, Warrior Braids! I loved it! I meant to send you a feedback, if I didn't, I was lazy (since there aren't "review" buttons on the challenges (at least not that I saw), and I apologize.
The desire to "steal" the OC Mom braiding Thranduil's hair SO TEMPTING TO STEAL.....LOL.

Anyhow, Starlight, I just started the "Thranduil" thread. It should be in the Members thread. It's mostly a cheap ploy to get ideas for the new fic I am pondering...trying to reach a consensus on why we love/hate him and what are the important events.

I'm not surprised that you didn't know I was a Thranduil fan- *I* didn't know that I was one until last week when I started thinking of a way to justify him being cast as the "bad guy" (not an abusive father! I swear! Just a surly, sitting-on-his-butt-while-MIrkwood-falls, king) and instead, I worked myself into a full-froth crush. Go and read jenolas's post. I completely agree with her.

And yes, this really DOES have something to do with challenges, since the Mother's Day idea is what brought me to this question to begin with!
*hugs*
-Kirixchi

"thanks for posting your two cents and THANK YOU so much for the story, Warrior Braids!"

Glad you enjoyed it, but the actual name is "Braids of Gold".

I have now posted my Thranduil story as well, "A Crown of Leaves".

enjoy!

jenolas

Hi, I'm sorry I got the title wrong- that was just waht stuck in my head- see what I get for posting without looking? Anyhow, to anyone else reading, I highly recommend "Braids of Gold", lol.
Sorry jen!!!!!!

*hugs*
-Kirixchi, rushing off to read the other story!

I sustained a particularly nasty nuzgul bite this morning (had to intercept the little bugger before he got to one of the house felines), and I'm curious whether it fits the parameters of this challenge. If not, I'll just post it as a regular story.

What I have in mind is a vignette where Aragorn recalls an encounter with Boromir (as a baby) and Finduilas in Minas Tirith when Aragorn was serving Gondor as Thorongil. During the course of the encounter, Finduilas tells Aragorn of all of her hopes and dreams -- and fears --for her young son.

Would something along those lines be appropriate for this challenge?

Serra

Would something along those lines be appropriate for this challenge?

Well appropriate or not, I hope you write it anyway! It sounds like a lovely idea.

~acacia

Well appropriate or not, I hope you write it anyway! It sounds like a lovely idea.

I plan to start it as soon as I can find a few hours to sit down and start writing. Nessime gave me some wonderful ideas for Baby Boromir -- I just hope I can do them justice.

Serra

Oh, Serra, I am looking forward to this! That sounds like such a wonderful idea. I know what you mean about doing justice to one character you like... it happens to me all the time!

Good luck, and hope that you get on with the story

I know what you mean about doing justice to one character you like... it happens to me all the time!

While screwing up "Canon Boromir" does worry me, he's a baby for much of the story so, hopefully, there's not much I can do to taint his character. Actually, my biggest hangup on this project is Finduilas -- I know so little about her that trying to write her "in character" absolutely petrifies me.

But, I've had all of my nitpicky little questions answered, so I guess it's time to stop procrastinating and start writing.

Serra

Actually, my biggest hangup on this project is Finduilas -- I know so little about her that trying to write her "in character" absolutely petrifies me.

But there is so little about her that I guess you're forced to build up some semblance of a character from just a few odd phrases. And all those odd phrases refer more to her life after marriage, and are not all that happy.
I think as long as you make her sound motherly, in this particular context, you have her done good.
And for good measure you could add in a subtle hint or two about impeding unhappiness and times of sorrow (I can't belive I'm actually saying this! ).

And for good measure you could add in a subtle hint or two about impeding unhappiness and times of sorrow

That's definitely in my plan for the story. One of the few things I've been able to find about Finduilas is that "she dreaded the Shadow of Mordor." In my mind, I get the feeling that she may have had "visions" that Sauron would attempt to take over Middle-earth during her lifetime, which is one of the concerns I attend to address in her little heart-to-heart with Aragorn.

Serra

You are right. What we know of Finduilas is sketched in a few brief phrases, so I think that you are allowed some freedom to portray her as you wish. We can glean something from the way the boys turned out, and perhaps something from the way Imrahil is (after all, they're b/s) Good luck with that! Perhaps you can check out Finduilas in the resources section and see if there are quotes or further info about her.

In my mind, I get the feeling that she may have had "visions" that Sauron would attempt to take over Middle-earth during her lifetime, which is one of the concerns I attend to address in her little heart-to-heart with Aragorn.

Yes, that is a concern that would make for a good touch to your story, because she may have the feeling that her son will take part in the war, and that may have been a continual source of worry (even though these people are raised as warriors, I can't help but think that a mother should worry about her child, even though she knows he is doing his duty) Oh, I can't wait to read that conversation!

Well, and this is my own version of the story, but I think that, in a way, part of the problem could have been the increase in Denethor's responsabilities because of "the Shadow of Mordor." Surely his duties took him away from her a great deal and probably as he became troubled he may have turned out to be ill-tempered, in a bad mood all the time, easily annoyed... what have you... and that may not have been the Denethor she married. Well, that's just my view. I wouldn't say that she had "visions" in the strict sense of the word, but perhaps you could call it a hunch, or a premonition, misgiving, something to indicate her that Sauron would give war. And, of course, there is always what she could gather by unadvertent hints from her husband and (this is creepy) do you suppose that Denethor ever dreamed, like Faramir? (having a mental image of Denethor talking in his sleep... very out of character!)

Well, hope any of that helps. If you wish to talk her out, or have any questions that we can help answer, just go ahead and ask! I am really looking forward to this story. Hope you can find the time to write soon!

Serra, this sounds like a wonderful story. I'm adding my voice to Acacea's and Starlight's to hope that you get the opportunity to write this, and hopefully sooner than later. RL can be such a pain sometimes. Not that I'd want to "miss the dance but it always seems to happen at the worst possible times!

So I hope life treats you kindly long enough so you can gift us with this little peek into Boromir's early childhood.

Blessings and peace!
~Nessime

PS - And I agree with what Starlight said about Findulias. As a Mom she would definitely worry about what the future holds for her precious baby, and with Mordor practically staring down their throats she has plenty of opportunity for worry. So now I'm wondering just how much Aragorn/Throngil might be able or willing to reveal to her... ~N.

Starlight wrote:
Perhaps you can check out Finduilas in the resources section and see if there are quotes or further info about her.

Oddly enough, I spent several hours this morning doing this very thing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to learn much more than I had already learned from "Appendix A" in Return of the King and Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth. I did, however, find 10 or so stories that feature Finduilas in the archive, so I plan on browsing through them to see how other people have written her.

Well, and this is my own version of the story, but I think that, in a way, part of the problem could have been the increase in Denethor's responsabilities because of "the Shadow of Mordor." Surely his duties took him away from her a great deal and probably as he became troubled he may have turned out to be ill-tempered, in a bad mood all the time, easily annoyed... what have you... and that may not have been the Denethor she married. Well, that's just my view.

I can certainly see that happening. But the way I picture it, it didn't happen until after Denethor's father died and he took over the Stewardship (two years before Finduilas died, I believe). I would like to think that while his father is Steward, Denethor is able to spend a good deal of "quality time" with his wife and children, knowing that when he becomes Steward, most of his time will be spent running Gondor.

I wouldn't say that she had "visions" in the strict sense of the word, but perhaps you could call it a hunch, or a premonition, misgiving, something to indicate her that Sauron would give war.

Premonitions are what I was thinking of here. Athough, in reading about Imrahil in The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, I was intrigued to find out that "he was known as Imrahil the Fair because he bore the signs of his Dunadan and Elvish ancestry." And, in the entry about Dol Amroth it says, "Until about TA 1981, the White Ships of the Elves of Lorien sailed from Dol Amroth, and the Dunedain of that city were said to have Elven blood in their veins." That led me to ponder whether it would be possible for Finduilas -- who, I assume would also have that Elven blood since she is Imrahil's sister -- to glimpse the future, a la Galadriel.

And, of course, there is always what she could gather by unadvertent hints from her husband and (this is creepy) do you suppose that Denethor ever dreamed, like Faramir?

I'm not sure if Denethor ever dreamed like Faramir, but I think it may be possible that Finduilas did. I get the impression that he takes after her more than he takes after Denethor.

Nessime wrote:
As a Mom she would definitely worry about what the future holds for her precious baby, and with Mordor practically staring down their throats she has plenty of opportunity for worry. So now I'm wondering just how much Aragorn/Throngil might be able or willing to reveal to her...

Hmm ... I didn't really think of what Aragorn would have told her during this encounter. I actually saw him in more of a passive role: He sees her at the stables, strikes up a conversation, and quickly gets the impression that Finduilas needs to unburden her heart -- possibly because, somewhere in the back of her mind, she knows that she won't be there to watch Boromir grow up and wants someone else to know all the things she would want to tell him herself. (Does that make any sense?)

Serra, this sounds like a wonderful story. I'm adding my voice to Acacea's and Starlight's to hope that you get the opportunity to write this, and hopefully sooner than later.

I actually had a rare day off today, and was planning on spending most of it trying to get this story on paper, but the muses refused to cooperate. I have changed the "voice" of the story five times -- from third-person narrative, to one of Boromir's journal entries, to being told (as it happens) from Boromir's POV, to being told from Aragorn's POV, to being told from someone else's POV (Pippin or Legolas, or even Gandalf). And then -- in a fit of madness, I believe -- I thought about changing the whole thing and having Aragorn give Boromir a letter that Finduilas had written to her eldest son and give to the Ranger for safe-keeping. Ack! I think I'm agonizing over this much more than I should be.

Serra

I remember seeing something in UT along the lines that as Denethor started to use the palantir increasingly (after he became steward), he began to get progressively grimmer, and that in turn affected Finduilas. I think the suggestion was that she guessed what Denethor was doing. It might have added to the uneasiness that she already felt from the 'shadow of Mordor'

And I suppose what Denethor saw in it gave him cause for worry, and that worry could easily have rubbed itself off on her - further cause for concern on her part for her children.

POV problems? Now that's a troublesome one!

I remember seeing something in UT along the lines that as Denethor started to use the palantir increasingly (after he became steward), he began to get progressively grimmer, and that in turn affected Finduilas.

Hmm ... that would mean the decline leading to her death was much quicker than I had assumed. From reading the few lines I've been able to find about her, I got the impression that she started to fade -- getting much worse sometime after the birth of Faramir -- almost as soon as she married Denethor and moved to the guarded city of Minas Tirith. At least, that's the assumption I was going on when I envisioned her as knowing she wouldn't be there to watch Boromir mature into adulthood.

POV problems? Now that's a troublesome one!

Yes, it is! I'm half tempted to start the story five different ways and see which one the muses graft on to.

Serra

Hmm ... that would mean the decline leading to her death was much quicker than I had assumed. From reading the few lines I've been able to find about her, I got the impression that she started to fade -- getting much worse sometime after the birth of Faramir -- almost as soon as she married Denethor and moved to the guarded city of Minas Tirith.

I think it's safe to assume all of that combined together to make her pretty miserable. I suppose leaving Dol Amroth and coming so close to Mordor could have started it off, but it's possible that Denethor might have been a little less morose at that time, and that might have helped her a bit. On the other hand, he did have Thorongil to contend with, so perhaps he wasn't very happy either.
But I do suppose, things got worse after Ecthelion died and Denethor took up the stewardship. She might have felt she was losing him too.
And carrying it a little further when Faramir was born, she now had two sons to worry about. So, maybe along with a failing of her physical health, there was an added cause for mental tension. And maybe she also worried about what kind of a land her son would get to govern. And

Hmm...she certainly does throw up myriad ideas for someone who gets barely a line or two, doesn't she?

Yes, it is! I'm half tempted to start the story five different ways and see which one the muses graft on to.

It works sometimes! I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful story to read.

Serra wrote:

Acacea wrote:
It works sometimes! I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful story to read.

I know what you mean! I've been struggling with the same thing for my entry to the Father's Day. I have a story to tell, and can't pick the right character to go about it. It's been sitting in my computer since the challenge began, and still... I think your idea of starting from different perspectives could work very well, and give you more insight and information about what you want to say.

Addin my voice to Acacea's, I think it will be a great story!

Acacea wrote:
I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful story to read.

Starlight wrote:
Add in my voice to Acacea's, I think it will be a great story!

Thank you both so much for the encouragement! I'm going to give the muses a few more days to fight it out amongst themselves and see what they come up with before I start trying to write this one.

Serra

That does sound very interesting--First Age elves are something I can't imagine tackling, so I really admire you planning this.

Well, per Starlight's request, my two ideas, already with notes, involve Esmie Brandybuck & Frodo. I've always felt a quick look at the family trees in RotK make her the chief candidate to have been Frodo's foster mother in the 9 years between his parents' deaths & Bilbo adopting him. The first, "Child of my Heart," would show how she & Sarry became Frodo's guardians; the second, "Midsummer's Eve," would have her reaction to Bilbo's letter asking for Frodo & then letting Frodo go to Bag End. Think I can pound out one or the other over the w/e, since I've already been writing Esmie a lot.

Are either suitable for this challenge, & if so, which does everyone like better? Am inclined to do "Midsummer" first b/c it would be shorter, but that might be putting the cart before the horse, since it's a planned sequel to "Child."

Regina

Hello Regina,
Your ideas sound very very interesting. I'd say, do both!

Well, what you choose depends more on what you would like to do with the mother, I guess, and what kind of trait you'd like to bring out more. "Child of my heart" would be set right after Frodo loses his parents, so there's opportunity for angst, and a lot of adjustments to make. "Midsummer's Eve," I think, would feature angst of a different kind. On your first story, I think you'd be inclined to show Frodo's feelings more, whereas in "Midsummer's" you'd have the chance to dwell more on Esmie's feelings (this is from my pov, of course. I'm sure you have your plans with both fics and this is just the way I'm seeing them) At this point, I'm sure Frodo was pretty excited about going to Bag End, and I think Esmie would suffer more for the loss because she stays behind... I'd say start both of them with a few quick sketching phrases and then see which one grabs you more.

Either idea would make for a very interesting exploration. I'm looking forward to read whatever you write!

Starlight

Are either suitable for this challenge

Absolutely.

As to order, that's up to you. If you think you can do "Midsummer" first without continuity issues, that's fine. Personally, I seem to write stories and then go back to do prequels more often than not, since I'm usually drawn to something actually written in the books first, and then, after I've "filled in" a blank spot there, I work backward towards earlier stages. So I'm quite sympathetic to your desire to do "Midsummer" first. If you can make it stand alone, then write the prequel with it in mind, I think you'll be fine.

Well, I ended up writing up "Child of My Heart" first after all--it rather insisted. It's now complete & posted both as part of the Mother's Day group & on my story page. Hope everyone enjoys it.

Regina

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions