Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Quickies Qtr 2, 2003

Quickies Qtr 2, 2003

They're up! Start writing!

Re: Quickies Qtr 2, 2003

I don't quite know why, but they seem scarier this time!

Mmm, yeah! Maybe it's 'cause we are still standing on the bank - water always looks cooler from here ;-) Actually I have written something inspired by the partings idea but it's pretty woofy so I've just put it in my folder at the list. Don't think it is going to be hitting the broad light of day ;-)

Avon

: I don't quite know why, but they seem scarier this time!

They do, don't they? I guess Ang did it so we would have to stretch our creativity a little... hehe.

I have very much enjoyed both entries that are already up. There are many appealing topics there... the market day in Numenor seems like it could develop into a great story! I am trying to draft a Faramir learns the constellations vignette... hopefully I'll get it. Btw, do we have any dates for Adrahil's death? Or, Imrahil becoming the prince? at any rate, I always thought he had survived Finduilas, so... oh well... if things go right, I guess he'll have a bit of a chance at story-telling.

Well, guys, what are you all going to write about? Is any nuzgul showing up at your doors already? This is the chance to write that First meeting Gandalf/Boromir, and that farmer Maggot's account of Sharkey looks to be a priceless idea!

Hey, don't go blaming these on me! Most of these are from the fiendish minds of other HASA folks, particularly a certain Dwimordene (it's all your fault, Dwim).

Adrahil's death is given in HoMe XII, "The Heirs of Elendil" (almost at the end of the section) as 3010:

Angelimir - 2866 - 2977
Adrahil - 2917 - 3010
Finduilas - 2950 - 2987
Imrahil - 2955 - 3054

[beating off all Hobbit Quickies with a tire iron] Nah, I'm not attracted to any of these [Whack!] in the [Wham!] slightest. Nope, no attraction [Crash!] for me here [Bonk!] that I can see. [Slam!]

Toodles - Ang

Hey, don't go blaming these on me! Most of these are from the fiendish minds of other HASA folks, particularly a certain Dwimordene (it's all your fault, Dwim)

I should've suspected Dwim was also lurking behind it all...

Ang, thanks very much for the dates. I needed those made clear to start on with the project. Thank you!

[beating off all Hobbit Quickies with a tire iron] Nah, I'm not attracted to any of these [Whack!] in the [Wham!] slightest. Nope, no attraction [Crash!] for me here [Bonk!] that I can see. [Slam!]

So, can I entertain a hope of seeing a story from Maggot's POV, or, perhaps, the tale of a baffled hobbit-neighbor? *pleading gesture*

For the, "Who was watching the road to the Havens and what happened to them?" Is there any reference to that in the books or is it just any time? (it's probably obvious to everyone but me! )

~Moriel

Hi Moriel,

I'm fairly certain this is a reference to Rangers guarding the road west from the Shire, just as there were Rangers guarding Sarn Ford to the south (who were overcome by the Nazgul).

I suspect it's in Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring", but I don't have a copy handy to check...

Ang said: : Hey, don't go blaming these on me! Most of these are from the fiendish minds of other HASA folks, particularly a certain Dwimordene (it's all your fault, Dwim).

Hey! I protest! I'm pretty sure most of Q2's little bloodsuckers are the spawn of some other member.

Moriel asked: For the, "Who was watching the road to the Havens and what happened to them?" Is there any reference to that in the books or is it just any time?

Actually, I was thinking it was a reference to the decision to avoid taking the Ring to the Havens--those roads would be watched by the Enemy because that's the expected route. So who's doing Sauron's/Saruman's dirty work, essentially, and what happened to them? But if you've got baddies, you probably also have Rangers as well, as Danielle suggested. So you've got a number of possibilities for this prompt. Check in FoTR, "The Council of Elrond" for references.

I was thinking it was a reference to the decision to avoid taking the Ring to the Havens

Yes, that was it - this was one of mine. There were a bunch I suggested as part of an idea that we could have a challenge which would give different perspectives on the Ring War.

Balrogs

I am profoundly excited by the idea of Balrog!fic. I think I want to be a Balrog when I grow up.

Could anyone graciously offer any help on what we know about Balrogs? I have my LOTR with appendices on hand, so I'm aware of what's said in appendix A, as well as what Gandalf says to and about the Balrog in the text. But are there other major references I should know about? Have Balrogs been encountered by anyone else?

Re: Balrogs

There's actually quite a bit - the Silmarillion and Lost Tales 2 have some information and description. I think Shaping of Middle-earth and Lost Road do too, but I'm not sure.

Glorfindel fought and killed (and was killed by) a Balrog in Gondolin. Balrogs were present at other battles described in the Silmarillion. They are Maiar.

I will have more access to the books tonight, and may be able to check further. Meanwhile, you might want to look at the Balrog Character bio in Resources to see if there's anything helpful.

Hope this helps.

Lyllyn

Re: Balrogs

Fabulous!

Well, one little bloodsucker bit me late. . ."Diamonds Sparkle in Sunshine", my Pippin/Diamond proposal vignette, is now up here & at ff.net. Better late than never, I suppose.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions