Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Snapshot Challenge

Snapshot Challenge

Let the Tolkien Rorsach test begin! ;-) As pictures and stories begin coming in, come and talk about them. Questions about the challenge itself can be asked here, or you can e-mail Klose or Dwimordene (see our member profiles for addresses or use the drop-down menu and choose "Challenges Manager").

Re: Snapshot Challenge

I have every intention of doing MANY new pieces just for the challenge, but I wonder would anyone mind if I also used some of the art already posted to HA. And also, where do I put pieces of artwork that I am ready to post for consideration by the writers.

E.W.

I for one don't mind. It's alright to post an already done work, actually, as opposed to one which is specially prepared for this Challenge.

A question for Dagmar, in case she doesn't see it in the other forum: What do you mean by AU (for the content of the art work)

I'm interested in doing this challenge, but purely from the writing side of things. How do we differentiate between the artists and writers when we sign up? Should I wait to sign up until there's artwork for me to choose from?

Thanks, Julia

I have an already done work that I would like to post for this... where do we put them?

Ariel

I just put up a folder called "Challenge--snapshot entries" over on the list. Look it up under "photos." Post away, ladies and gents!

>A question for Dagmar, in case she doesn't see it in the other forum: What do you mean by AU (for the content of the art work)

Something that could have happened, but did not in the books. Just for example:

Doing group blazon emroidery when those characters are not known to sew particularly well....), as EW said.
Something not mentioned or inclined in the books, but what could make a good story.

I just put up a folder called "Challenge--snapshot entries" over on the list. Look it up under "photos." Post away, ladies and gents!

So we post our art for the challenge in the "Challenge folder"...

I assume that we post the written works for the challenge here, but can I use codeing in my story to insert the picture that I used to inspire my story?

E.W.

Dagmar: Do you mean:
Incidents that *could* have happened in canon, and there's nothing refuting the possibility, such as Bilbo meeting Gildor at Woody End on one of his walks.
If so, yep, AU's good.

E.W: What type of coding?

Oh, I didn't see this thread, sorry Julie. There isn't a need to sign-up anymore, we only did that to get the minimum number of people to start the Challenges.

I think we've got some artwork in the HA files section, under Challenges. If you see anything that inspires you, go ahead and write it!

E.W: What type of coding?

HTML image insertions.

They run something like this....

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="left">

or

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="center">

or

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="right">

you can put them into the story the same way that you add italics or bold text.

E.W.

HTML image insertions.

They run something like this....

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="left">

or

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="center">

or

img src="yourownimage.gif" align="right">

you can put them into the story the same way that you add italics or bold text.

My fault. I think I also need to say that for these HTML insertions to work, the graphic file needs to be already uploaded into HASA's files. Then you insert the link into your story text and if the picture is stored, then it will appear. This means that Ang or someone would have to upload the pictures for the challenge. But that is an easy thing to do. If Ang could give you an FTP address for HASA and the username and password if it is set up that way, then I could explain so that each artist could upload their work and Ang's job would be much easier even yet.

E.W.

Whoops, no, sorry - no files get uploaded to HASA's server directly, particularly not graphic images which will munch up server space with a vengence, as well as increasing the bandwidth useage of the site in big chunks.

However, the theory is correct. What you would need to do is use an image tag that has a full URL in it, just like a regular link.

Where the image element has src="the_image_name.gif", you would simply give a full http:// path, as in this example:

I started with a bracket - <

then I inserted a src with full URL - src="http://www.gpcanational2004.org/images/logo_transp.gif"

Followed by an alignment - align="center"

And closed it off with another bracket - >

and the image gets pulled into the HASA page. This logo, by the way, was done for me by our own Philosopher@Large. Each artist is responsible for finding a location for his/her image, which can be Yahoo or their own website.

Ang

I see... well, we could try to get a main location for everybody to upload images. We'll see how it goes first. Thanks Ang, E.W.

Ack, forgot to add:
Dagmar: Your definition of AU is alright, since it isn't exactly AU. If it could have happened (and there's nothing refuting it), yes, it's okay.

I'd recommend that - if there is a central location, then it can just be dedicated to images for this and other challenges in the future.

Sorry to be such a bear, but we have a small disk allowance and I am not inclined to let people of questionable technical knowledge start throwing things onto the server. Also, all it would take is one person to get a hold of ftp info and decide it would be "fun" to upload a destructive program.

There is a lot of free disk space out there intended for image storage - free is a good price, so grab some!

Ang

Ack, forgot to add:
Dagmar: Your definition of AU is alright, since it isn't exactly AU. If it could have happened (and there's nothing refuting it), yes, it's okay.

So what kind of AU is not okay. I have a slashy pic I plan to post for the authors (of whom there are many) who like to write slash fic. Is that inside, or outside the definition of an unacceptable AU for this challenge?

Just curious....

E.W.

In a moment of denseness, I forgot that we were merely to post a link to the picture in the story. So all we need is a central location where the pictures can be found. Ang, can you reccomend anything? Anyone else?

Moving on...
So what kind of AU is not okay. I have a slashy pic I plan to post for the authors (of whom there are many) who like to write slash fic. Is that inside, or outside the definition of an unacceptable AU for this challenge?

Is that a trick question?
J/K... I'm inclined to go with, "There's nothing in canon that says it couldn't have happened, so...". A matter of discretion on the artist's part, perhaps. I will have to get back to you on this one.

This challenge is not about closeness to canon.
Allow artists to include all pictures they want to submit., so authors can chose from a wide variety of ideas. If they don't like a certain picture for whatever reason they simply don't have to write about it.
Trust all Henneth-annuniacs to come up with something middle-earthy, AU or not. Personally, I wouldn't mind to see Maedhros and Fingon playing tennis, and the story going with it should be fun to read. We have fine non-canon slash stories in the archive, we have humorous stories like "Galadriel's Inbox", and all other sorts of AU.

Storage
We're just going to keep it in the Yahoo! site (Challenges folder) for now, so everybody, put your pictures there. Since this is a members thing, it will be temporary home. We still have a few months to figure things out.

By the way, I think it would be a good idea to announce here and on HA if you're uploading a picture for the Challenge, so that everybdy can check it out and start writing.

Slash
Slashy art is acceptable.

AU
Any type of AU is alright, inclusive of those mentioned by Dagmar. No holds barred. So get drawing! I'd love to see Melkor playing tennis with Maedhros.

Could we maybe put a link to the HA pictures folder where the challenge pictures are in the body of the challenge description? Or something similar?

Hello all, I have posted another pic to the snapshot challenges folder on HA. It is CGI, and an AU. But I had fun throwing this together tonight. In this pic, Eowyn is dead and Eomer is not happy.

I think that this should work. It's late and I may not have done this right.

E.W.

It works! And the picture is absolutely gorgeous!

~Nessime

Could we maybe put a link to the HA pictures folder where the challenge pictures are in the body of the challenge description? Or something similar?

That sounds like a good idea. We'll have to see how many pictures we have, but we could perhaps put a link to the HA Photos folder, at least.... I'll go consult Dwim about that later.

Great suggestion!

That sounds like a good idea. We'll have to see how many pictures we have, but we could perhaps put a link to the HA Photos folder, at least.... I'll go consult Dwim about that later.

Great suggestion!

That sounds like a good plan in theory, but any time you link to an interior space at a Yahoo! egroup, I believe what you get diverted to is Yahoo's sign in page.

That is why I made my link for the page on my archive, not yahoo's photo folder.

But I could be wrong about this.

Later;
E.W.

Hi all !

I've uploaded a pic for the snapshot challenge:
Shelob and Gollum or "Her Ladyship and her little sneaker", as the orcs of Minas Morgul called them.
Gollum met Shelob more than once and somehow they came to a kind of understanding. How did he avoid being eaten? Can demonic giant spiders talk? How, if at all, did they communicate or manipulate each other? What drew Gollum to Shelob?
I leave the answers to you writers.
The picture is uploaded to both the Snapshot folder and my own, Dagmar's Den. For better view I left a full size version in my folder, but not in the Snapshot folder, because it takes much space.

Dagmar

That sounds like a good plan in theory, but any time you link to an interior space at a Yahoo! egroup, I believe what you get diverted to is Yahoo's sign in page.

I always forget about yahoo! Sorry!

On the otherhand, as I (accidentally - awake 48 hours!) posted to the list yesterday I have lots of space and I would be willilng to make a dedicated page and put copies of the thumbs over there

Hello all.

Geocities is notorius for not allowing things like image links to work. The instructions Ang listed above would not work if your art was archived at a geocities site. BUT! I may have just figured out a sneaky way around that....maybe. So indulge me here while I experiment. If you see an image, it worked. if not, well... I just wasn't as clever as I thought I was.

E.W.

Not seeing a pic so far ---

I don't use geocities, though - I have a pair account for my concert group. And A private account where we have been sharing things like this

NOPE! Not nearly as clever as I thought I was.....

I am gonna set up a free gallery account for us. NOT on geocities. Gimme a day or two to set it up.

E.W.

Re:

A new picture is up in the challenge folder:

Young Éowyn, ready to engage in a snowball fight.

Again, you can see a full size version in my own folder, Dagmar's Den.

Dagmar

I've got another one up too.

You can see it in the HA folder or,

It's here....

E.W.

AU
Any type of AU is alright, inclusive of those mentioned by Dagmar. No holds barred. So get drawing! I'd love to see Melkor playing tennis with Maedhros.

That is so evil!! The only way I could see that would be humourous... anime style super-deformed or something. How more rubbing-it-in can you get?? Poor Maedhros.
I'm getting images of loads of characters with grudges taking it out on the court now...
E.W, the pictures so far are gorgeous. What are they, coloured inks..?

ta-ta
Pika

E.W, the pictures so far are gorgeous. What are they, coloured inks..?

ta-ta
Pika

Actually, they are computer painted.

I sketch a drawing in pencil, scan it into my computer, render it crisper by adjusting the brightness and contrast and then clean up the background and go to painting it in Adobe Photoshop.

Here is my new one.

E.W.

E.W., they are exquisite! I especially love Consumation - (I am now blushing furiously and wondering if it is so good that I will have to expose my secret erotica skills when the writing part comes down!)

--fileg

E.W., they are exquisite! I especially love Consumation - (I am now blushing furiously and wondering if it is so good that I will have to expose my secret erotica skills when the writing part comes down!)

--fileg

Thanks! I am so glad you like them.

I actually did't used to paint in Photoshop a lot except for my professional stuff for CGI. But it is so fast to paint up a pic in photoshop that I couldn't resist using that to render the Challenge pics. My schedule is so tight that I have to make the most of my hobby art time these days. And while I could spend hours hand painting a piece, I wanted to produce several pieces for this challenge in a timely manner. So I sketch them, clean them up, and zip them out.

And yes, by all means, *ahem* bone up on your erotica skills. I am coming in with another one that is Silm slash tomorrow. I think you'll like it.

E.W.

here is my attempt at getting up an image link from geocities. I been talking to them on this.... I know, I said I was gonna get us gallery space, but so many of them have the same policy about image links (so I found out) and I really wanted to be able to have the pics and the stories together so I tackled the folks at geocities and while their free accounts are prohibited from image linking, their paid ones are not and I have several of those. But you'll have to use this image link code.

you have to start with-

<

Then write-

img src="http://www.geocities.com/thekissingtree/your_picture.gif">

You'll get this......

Yeah!!!! It did it! Now, I volunteer to temporarily host all pictures for the Snapshot challenge on one of my sites until a permanent home that you can image link from is found. So post your stories when they are done and insert your image links so that you can have your cake and eat it to. And don't forget to send your actual images to me so that I can put them into my FTP. ( I really hated the idea of having to post the story in one place and the Picture in another.)

E.W.

Jim just posted another picture for the challenge. I have also put his pictures up in a larger size here for the moment.

Oooo...! That's is one seriously intriguing picture. Kudos to Jim! This nuzgûl just drew blood...

~Nessime

That's is one seriously intriguing picture. Kudos to Jim! This nuzgûl just drew blood...

YES!!!! [*cough* looks around, embarrassed]

Um, yes, good to hear. Well done, Jim... carry on...

Wow! Great picture!

Wow, hey!
Great to see some real action here!

...You are aware this scene could end two-ways? We all know that Legolas is a very nimble and athlethic elf who is known to defy the laws of physics itself, but here he is seated on a light (slippery?) blanket and Aragorn HAS a weight advantage...

Dagmar

Dagmar writes of seeing an athlethic elf ...and Aragorn...

This is what makes this challenge such a good one, because that is not at all what I see looking at this picture. That's the beauty of it. There's no right or wrong scenario - it's all quite literally in the eye of the beholder!

BTW I am not going to say what I see in it - yet! You'll just have to wait for the story...

~Nessime

BTW I am not going to say what I see in it - yet! You'll just have to wait for the story...

Oh, you're writing a story with Jim's picture? Wonderful! I'm not seeing what Dagmar sees, either, and I'm looking forward to see what you see...

As you said, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and that's what makes this so great. Looking forward to the story...

Starlight

Re: Re:

This is to inform you that larger versions of my pics can be seen here:

http://www.hannoverscher-spieleverein.de/Bilder.htm

Dagmar

Panic setting in as we get close to the art deadline?

I didn't see Jim all day (well, that's a fib, he was across from me at the other computer station, but he wasn't here) but he has another picture up in the challenge folder, or here in a big size.

I have put up Starlight's picture here for now so folks can see it better.

Thank you, Tay!

Jim's new picture is absolutely gorgeous. I am thinking about a couple of people who would very much enjoy to put that image into words...

Starlight

Tay wrote: I didn't see Jim all day (well, that's a fib, he was across from me at the other computer station, but he wasn't here)...
You know, I would imagine this the same reaction our spouses all have when they see us glued to our computers, typing madly away! Of course I'm never quite all here anyway.

Starlight wrote: Jim's new picture is absolutely gorgeous. I am thinking about a couple of people who would very much enjoy to put that image into words...

Ditto, to both statements! The texture of the fabrics that he has captured is amazing, as well as all the costume details. The facial expressions are really good too. Nice work!

And thank you for providing a larger view of Starlight's wonderful painting. There is definitely a story there!

To Starlight: I'm in awe of the multi-talented people like you who inhabit this place. Wow! I'm curious too: what medium do you work in? Am I correct that this is done in watercolors?

~Nessime

Nessime:
You know, I would imagine this the same reaction our spouses all have when they see us glued to our computers, typing madly away! Of course I'm never quite all here anyway.

You answered the one question I had since I read Tay's post this morning: what do the spouses think?

The texture of the fabrics that he has captured is amazing, as well as all the costume details. The facial expressions are really good too. Nice work!
Aren't the textures just wonderful? I was truly impressed at the detail he managed to capture. I'm thinking it takes not only great skill, but also patience to sit and work such beautiful fabrics, headpieces and all. I loved it!

There is definitely a story there!
When the challenge started, I had hoped to paint one of Eomer for you. I even started on a draft and all, but I took so long with this one, and then the challenge's deadline came. Maybe I could still paint it as a birthday pic!

To Starlight: I'm in awe of the multi-talented people like you who inhabit this place. Wow! I'm curious too: what medium do you work in? Am I correct that this is done in watercolors?
Oh, thank you, Nessime! You are right, it is watercolor, my favorite technique. I still have a way to go before I get it right but I love the great amount of things you can do with it, getting different effects, textures, colors, but always keeping things quite spontaneous and light (although Brothers is quite different from everything else I've done before: the colors are lively and darker, and I even painted sketches before working on the real thing, which I don't usually do... I enjoyed the process)

I am looking forward to see what comes out of this, and what folks make of the beautiful paintings that are up. So many stories floating about! Looking forward to read them.

Starlight

When the challenge started, I had hoped to paint one of Eomer for you. I even started on a draft and all, but I took so long with this one, and then the challenge's deadline came. Maybe I could still paint it as a birthday pic!

Oooo! How could I say no to that?!? I've only had a peek at a couple of your paintings so far (at HA in the photo file), but I would love to see more, and it's a given that Éomer would be a favorite subject!

You are right, it is watercolor, my favorite technique.

One of my father's cousins was a watercolorist, and I gathered that he was fairly well known in certain circles. He spent some time once showing one of my sisters and me some of his techniques. I was amazed at what he produced. The effects that can be achieved in that medium are a far cry from the watercolors we used to bring home from school!

I too am looking forward to all the stories that will emerge from this challenge. So many gorgeous pictures...!

~Nessime

Okay, I have a story I want to enter for the Challenge. I'm just a little stumped. Do I provide a link to the picture when I submit it to the reviewers' pool? In the past, stories that were up for review have always deleted any reference that they *were* Challenge stories; is this going to be treated differently?

Sorry for neglecting this place, people. Have not been around HASA much in fact.

And eh, Zimraphel, I'm not sure about your question, since I'm not an admin or anything. Uh, are there any admins out there? Dwim?

I would say just provide a link and note that you were inspired to write the story based on this picture.

If anyone has a direct link to the Voronwe image (as in: has it been archived anywhere), I'd appreciate it. Right now I can't seem to link to the URL that is the Yahoo! Groups; it just doesn't come out right.

I've got a question about one of the pictures...it's titled "Delivery" and I think it was by Jim, but I'm not sure. What is the Nazgul carrying, or is that up to the author to decide?

Also, in the stories, should we put a credit to the artist, or just link it to the picture?

Speaking of linking images, I just realized I have absolutely no idea how to do it...can sombody give instructions to the html illiterate?

~Moriel

Hi Moriel

Yes, it is one of Jim's - not really a serious piece for the challenge, but I thought we needed a little variety so I popped this photo manip into the folder. In the original (large) version, it is delivering a "nuzgul" but I think it is open to the interpretation of the writer now!

To link use this:
[a href="the url of the place you want to link to"]name of link[/a] but replace the brackets [ ] with carats (< >).

There are large versions of Jim's pictures here and of Starlights here

Re: linking to Voronwe

Uh oh. Hm. I think Voronwë is an E.W. pic. I just posted the question to the list, Zim, so hopefully, the artist will respond and we can find a way to let you link to the picture.

Noooooo!! Have just read Dwim's challenges update and checked out the Snapshots. And now dammit, (because I haven't got time to write for this!) I have a question. Is 'Consummation' supposed to be Aragorn and Arwen? Sigh. I hope not, because if it is, I have an idea ...grrr....
Course, I may just try and get the image out of my head!!

Yes, "Consummation" is supposed to be Aragorn and Arwen. E.W. is definitely the artist behind that picture.

Have fun with the nuzgûl.

Rats and double rats, what did you say that for Dwim? You were supposed to say, 'There, there dear, it's not Aragorn and Arwen, so you don't need to write about the *very* clear images you've got in your head.'
Hmmm?

E.D

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions