Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: New Member Challenge

New Member Challenge

Welcome new members--look, we finally got it up and running!

You are welcome to post comments here, talk about your stories, mechanics, etc. We also encourage you to start your own discussion forum. Questions? Ask them here or use the admin contact form in the corner--choose "Challenges Admin."

Re: New Member Challenge

That looks great, Dwimordene, thanks for finding the time to do it. I've just got one more suggestion - back in the Prospective Challenge Discussion Klose said (and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting) -

I think the Challenge requirements should strongly encourage the writers to set up discussions, and for the others on the list to participate in the discussion. This way, the writer will really feel welcome in that he/she has written a fic and that people are taking the time to tell him/her what they think of it.

I thought that was a really good idea and while you can't make people set up discussions or people participate in them I wondered about publicity. If you're new it might be a bit daunting (depends on your personality, I know) to post a SSP on the list - but it does tend to make a bit of a difference in getting feedback, which is why you will see older HA members introducing a friend's work - so I thought maybe a 'publicity officer' for the challenge could do it. All they need to do is keep an eye on this challenge and post something along the lines of:

New Member Challenge - Fairywinks has just posted her new member challenge - 'A Dwarf's Death'. It's a first person account of Gloin's reaction to Thorin's death - find out what those hoods are for! ;-) It's Fairywink's first HA story so if you've got time to give her some feeback that would be great.

This might be a daft idea (I do daft well ;-))but if people thought it was a useful idea and no-one else wanted to do it I'd be happy to do it.

Avon

Avon, I agree that this is a good idea. One of the hardest things for me to do (after actually posting the bit of story I'd already written) was to set up a discussion. After that I waited in fear and trembling, just hoping that somebody - anybody - would actually respond. I've been really blessed to have the response I've had thus far, so I'm especially keen on anything that will help other new writers get a little boost. Without that feedback it would have been so easy to forget about trying to write and just go back to lurking at HA and HASA.

Would it be feasible to set up a central discussion forum for the New Member Challenge stories with seperate threads for each story? That would make it easier for older members to get to know the newer writers. Some have mentioned that the sheer volume here at HASA makes it difficult to find the new people to get noticed because their discussions tend to get burried as new posts are made to the better known authors discussions.

~Nessime

I've been really blessed to have the response I've had thus far, so I'm especially keen on anything that will help other new writers get a little boost. Without that feedback it would have been so easy to forget about trying to write and just go back to lurking at HA and HASA.

On that note I just want to say again that I've been incredibly lucky that people have taken the time to respond to my stuff - and I'm very grateful for it. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, just I see how easy it is to miss a new writer, specially on a busy day.

Would it be feasible to set up a central discussion forum for the New Member Challenge stories with seperate threads for each story? That would make it easier for older members to get to know the newer writers. Some have mentioned that the sheer volume here at HASA makes it difficult to find the new people to get noticed because their discussions tend to get burried as new posts are made to the better known authors discussions.

I wondered about this - but I also wondered if it wasn't better to encourage people to set up their own discussion so that when they posted another story they had already built up some possible readers. I don't know - the convenenience of a central discussion might be good and as you said it would be a great deal less likely to get lost.

Avon
PS: And thanks for the reassurance that I wasn't making a total fool out of myself ;-)

Hm, this sounds like an excellent idea. I think I shall go do it, considering the success of the Mary Sue challenge forum. Good job, folks.

And here it is.

PS: And thanks for the reassurance that I wasn't making a total fool out of myself ;-)

Nah! Not a chance! You've started a lot of good discussions that I have benefited from, and it's clear that others have too.

~Nessime

Dwim, one quick question:

The rules say you've either been a member for less than 4 months, or you've never written a Tolkien fanficbefore. Re: the latter - does that mean written one, period, or had one published? Would my unfinished beta story count as having written a fanfic?

I think I qualify under the 4 month rule anyway, but this might be a question for someone else too.

Thanks!

~Nessime

Oh and I've got a question too - can it be movieverse or must it be bookverse? Just thought that was something new people might need to know.

Avon
(Still trying to figure out if I think I qualify)

You've been a member less than 4 months, so you're in. The rules say either qualifier applies. I think the qualification of not having written anything for Tolkien fanfic before is to allow those who've been hanging around just reading to give writing a try. That's how I read the rules anyway. If I'm wrong, Dwim can send me to a corner!

~Nessime

No, I think you're right - I was more thinking that it seemed slightly sillly to claim to be a new writer when I've got three stories on the site. On the other hand I've only been here for 2 months - and I[ve now got half a page of Boromir meeting an Elf* for the first time, so I think my scruples will be cast aside ;-)

Avon

*Or eating an Elf for the first time, as a friend thought I said ;-)

*Or eating an Elf for the first time, as a friend thought I said ;-)

Yikes!
What an image that conjures up!

~Nessime

That wouldn't rate as yet another Legolas/Boromir slash fic, would it? I really much prefer Elves with Elves, if you know what I mean.

And like I'm letting two stories already in the archive stop me from engaging in some silliness with some of the topics. The reaction to Bilbo's Earendil verse, from Lindir's POV--hey, it was begging to be done. And Gil-galad and Elendil at Amon Sul--okay, so I took a LOT of liberties and added a bunch of fashion-loving Elf kings and one Half-Elven who reassures the Numenoreans that this is really quite *normal* behavior for Elven males. **~ Zimraphel

What an image that conjures up!

Distressingly it is an image I'm beginning to feel compelled to write ;-)

Be afraid...

Avon

back in the Prospective Challenge Discussion Klose said (and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting) -

I don't mind. Quite the contrary, actually.

And I'm glad that someone agrees with my point, I was feeling a bit alone there...

The publicity officer thing great idea, I think, but a whole lot of work (and it's an informal position). But Avon, if you think you're up to it, I'll love you forever if you do want to... I figure we start a new thread up at the New Members forum for 'Latest Entries'. What do you think?

The publicity officer thing great idea, I think, but a whole lot of work (and it's an informal position). But Avon, if you think you're up to it, I'll love you forever if you do want to...

Oh well, as long as I'm not stepping on anyone's toes I'll try - perhaps I'm underestimating the amount of work but I'll try. Hey, we may only get three entries ;-)

Avon

Oh, we'll get more than three entries. The Challenge just started, and it's already so active! That's a good sign.

I will help you out, of course. I'll start a thread, 'Updates' or whatever, and we post there everytime there's an entry. How's that?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions