Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: All Good Beasts

All Good Beasts

See Challenge here.

Tell Fluffy the wolfhound to sit, make Thorongil stop running in his squeaky hamster wheel, and gather round to talk about your stories.

Re: All Good Beasts

A drop of oil will keep that hamster wheel from squeaking - really, Denethor, you can borrow some from anyone who has been in a slash story recently....

Which means that he's probably got some still locked up in the trunk. Oy! You are evil! Do you have any idea of where the mind can go when you mention slash, oil, Denethor, and a hamster? Thank you for traumatizing me for the evening! ;-)

Do you have any idea of where the mind can go when you mention slash, oil, Denethor, and a hamster?
Do you, indeed?

So, is any of you writing this tale?

I'm laughing just by thinking of Denethor caring for that little hamster...

Sweet Nienna what have I done

Sweet Nienna what have I done

What indeed!

It was the line about Denethor's pet hamster being named Throngil that got to me in the first place, even though I didn't write about that. My poor brain just couldn't deal with the images that line conjured up, and this discussion is making it worse. So will someone please hurry up and write the darned thing!

~Nessime

I think that that particular line of... ehm... "speculation" needs the comedic genius of the woman who wrote "Elf slash sarcasm." Tyellas, where are you? I cannot do it. I can barely think... no, we are *NOT* thinking about this.

I must now go work on S&S with that image in my head, thank you very much! Gagh!

Okay, Stulti has her first challenge entry - with story - so Dwim, will you please give her the official nuzgul purveyor sticker?

~Nessime

Hear ye! Hear ye! Hear ye!
(sorry, I don't know how to do trumpets online!)

There is a new entry in the All Good Beasts Challenge:

Marriage of Souls

Check it out!

~Nessime

I hope this isn't out of line but I'm just so excited!

My story, my first completed story at that, just got accepted into the Archive! And it's the one I wrote for this challenge too: Promises to Keep

Stulti, I hope Dwim has given you that nuzgul purveyor sticker. IMO you've earned it and then some! I'd never have been pushed to write this if you hadn't issued the challenge. (((hug)))

~Nessime

Oh she has one. I've got a good one with her name on it, and I will use it to bring her to her knees if ever I get my hands on a scanner, just see if I don't.

Revenge of Hamster Thorongil and his Boy.

Hi Dwim!

I hope you noted the other entry to the challenge. Erin wrote Marriage of Souls after I sent a totally off the wall suggestion to her re: the MS challenge - she said she couldn't do romance (right, so what the heck does she call The Lion and The Swan?).

Anywho, she insisted that Marriage of Souls wasn't serious enough for the MS challenge, so when Stulti set up All Good Beasts I figured there was nothing to lose by suggesting Erin post the story here. And I didn't even get any over ripe tomatoes hucked at me!

Do go read it. I might have sicced this particular nuzgul on her, but she's the one who wrote this amazing story!

~Nessime

Revenge of Hamster Thorongil and his Boy.

This was a Narnia book, was it not? Or have I now got all the inklings waiting for me in the Halls of Mandos with a rolled up newspaper ?

Which means that he's probably got some still locked up in the trunk. Oy! You are evil! Do you have any idea of where the mind can go when you mention slash, oil, Denethor, and a hamster? Thank you for traumatizing me for the evening! ;-)

Yay! I'm a traumatizer!! I feel so ... fulfilled!!

The two real stories we have had so far are just splendid!!

I would like to play here if I can get an idea to work - and I wish my hamsters would stop looking at me like that! Get down, 2 evil ounces of furry fury! I named you Figwit, not Thorongil!!

It's a combination of "Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie" of Calvin and Hobbes fame, and "The Horse and His Boy" by C.S. Lewis insofar as the line goes.

Insofar as the rest goes... well... [wanders off to go do some severely neglected reading]

Yay! I'm a traumatizer!! I feel so ... fulfilled!!

Vengeance is mine, saith the Dwimmerlaik.

Perhaps this will help get our minds out of the gutter - or the wheel - and back to more routine silliness -

Fileg's Sims Theater Presents

Vengeance is mine, saith the Dwimmerlaik.
Dwim, at this moment I am so in that "I will never write again" place that I would be happy to be bitten by whatever isn't rabid...

Now I need Minas Tears because I'm laughing so hard!

He's adorable!

Dwim, at this moment I am so in that "I will never write again" place that I would be happy to be bitten by whatever isn't rabid...

Dwim, where's that nuzgul lurking...?

~Nessime

Mine was more of a tactical poetry strike in an effort to decapitate certain images from my brain and also torment those responsible for them. Nuzgul, though... Let us see, let us see... bestial nuzgul...

I don't suppose anyone would like to write a story about Grip or Fang, Farmer Maggot's giant dogs? They've chased Frodo twice now, but they obviously like Pippin and Merry. [edit] Actually, I guess it'd be some of their predecessors who chased young Frodo. But hey! Father's Day Challenge/All Good Beasts story?

Goldberry talks to the fish of the Withywindle? Strikes me as a poetic opportunity for those who have the knack. Did you know that in Tagalog there is an actual word-sound for a fish opening and shutting its mouth? Don't you think Goldberry would know such a word?

There's *always* the fox of FoTR.

Does Gimli ever make the acquaintance of the descendants of Roac?

Huan is another obvious candidate to have his story told.

The tale of the mearas, from Felaróf's pov. The two horse-centered stories are lovely, by the way. Erin's is lovely, though the suspense of the courting doesn't work, due to the state of my knowledge. But it could be highly entertaining without the context of this challenge--bet she'd get a lot of laughs and surprised readers if she posted it without mentioning what challenge it's for. The tale of Hasufel was well done--I wasn't sure at first who the speaker was, but it was interesting to get glimpses of Éothain and Éomer from a horse's POV.

Bill's liberation from Bill Ferny.

The Watcher in the Water's waking to a stone thrown in its pool.

The clash of the Rangers and Haradrim from the pov of the oliphaunt. Or anything seen through an oliphaunt's eyes.

Is there a story behind the adoption of the swan enseign by the princes of Dol Amroth?

And last, but not least, the hamster. Something has to be done about that critter because it's trying to drive me insane.

And last, but not least, the hamster. Something has to be done about that critter because it's trying to drive me insane.

Here you go, Dwim - no sense being insane alone - snapshots for Hamster stories can be seen at hamster snapshots

Here you go, Dwim - no sense being insane alone - snapshots for Hamster stories can be seen at hamster snapshots

*splutter* Whatever happened to early morning beverage warnings?

There's *always* the fox of FoTR.

By all that's right, that should be a whole genre to itself.

Ow... early morning laughing bad...

Whatever happened to early morning beverage warnings?

Sorry guys- it is 5 am here, but to me that's still late night - I am just on my way to bed. I will try to remember to warn - but honestly, didn't the phrase Hamster Snapshots give you some warning?

honestly, didn't the phrase Hamster Snapshots give you some warning?

My only excuse is that I've had no coffee yet

But it could be highly entertaining without the context of this challenge--bet she'd get a lot of laughs and surprised readers if she posted it without mentioning what challenge it's for.

I know, Dwim, but this was the only way I could think of to convince her to post it here -I told you it was supposed to be for your MS challenge, back when you put out the call for the lovers of the Rohirrim. But she insisted this wasn't serious enough!

I tried!

~Nessime

What a set of images to wake up to! I usually eat breakfast while checking my e-mail. Bad move today. :-)

Thank you, Tay! I may yet forgive you for putting the image of hamster Thorongil into my head.

But not quite yet. With dedication to Tay and Stulti , here's the final form of the limerick that I wrote in a fit of fevered vengeance for the images this whole hamster thread has brought up for me:

Denethor who was the Steward's Heir,
He bought Thorongil, the pet hamster.
"Why suffer the man,
when in this form he can-
not help but acknowledge me master?"

Denethor who was the Steward's Heir,
He bought Thorongil, the pet hamster.
"Why suffer the man,
when in this form he can-
not help but acknowledge me master?"

Is there no relief?

a small idea, at last.

Another entry, quel fara No hamsters actually included. Thanks.

I hope you don't mind, Tay. I started a new topic at your discussion for this. And I'm still looking for tissues.

Are the hamsters terribly disappointed?

~Nessime

two double posts in the same afternoon - what the heck am I doing wrong?

Are the hamsters terribly disappointed?

The hamsters are a little disappointed, but hunting hamsters are diffucult to come by in the wild, and brigands are seldom scared away by a man's squirming pockets.

(And I hope with all my heart that Faramir will forgive me - not only did I use the Hamster Snapshots to turn him into a hamster, but I seem to have left him with an exposed bedpan... )

Coming out of lurkdom for one brief moment...

brigands are seldom scared away by a man's squirming pockets

Actually, I know a few brigands who would be terrified by a man's squirming pockets.

Actually, I know a few brigands who would be terrified by a man's squirming pockets.

That does it! I'd better go away before I spew coffee all over the computer!

~Nessime

Any Black Adder fans? I keep hearing the line "A man's squirming pockets are his own private kingdom...."

I just noticed that on the favorite animal in Middle Earth poll, the word hamster does not appear...

I had an idea that Stulti and I should collaborate on a sestina using the end points: oil, slash, wheel, Denethor, hamster and Thorongil. But even I have to admit, it seems like too much work for the worth of the gag. (Her calling the hamster "Gilly" is one of the most inspired moments in hamsterverse history)

I offer this triolet instead:

Can a man use too much oil?
Will hamsters ever really understand
their use in slash? And after years of toil
can a man use too much oil...
or will the author cause us to recoil?
How do you keep an oiled hamster in your hand?
Will hamsters ever really understand...

Will hamsters ever really understand
their use in slash? And after years of toil
can a man use too much oil...
or will the author cause us to recoil?
How do you keep an oiled hamster in your hand?
Will hamsters ever really understand...

I have posted my entry, untitled as I am clueless as yet what to call it. I welcome any and all comments.

I am concerned about a few things in this story:
that Thorondor seems OOC for taking The Child to the forest
that the whole blasted thing is too fluffy

Please let me know what you think.

Lyllyn

Just in time, I have posted my entry. Shelob, as I promised way back when. (Even though Shelob is not actually a 'good beast'. She is not a good beast at all... )

It's called 'Sweet Meat', and can be found in beta section for now, as well as challenges. Comments welcome, adored.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions