Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month October 2011

Nuzgûl of the Month October 2011

October's Nuzgûl will be Namesakes, again from the Oliphaunt pen:

In the Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rings, and many other Tolkien books, many names do not refer to just a single person, but to many. It seems as though some of these names were associated with misfortune, while others were just every-day, happy names. For example, Miriel, Feanor's mother, died during childbirth. Several hundred years later, Miriel, the queen of Numenor, died when her country sank beneath the sea. Finduilas of the first age was killed by orcs, and Boromir and Faramir's mother, Finduilas, also passed away.

Not all names were unhappy ones, though. Like many people in this thread pointed out, the dwarves and hobbits used names over again, and many of these names were not sad at all.

For this challenge, you would write a story that has to do with an original or canonical character, and their namesake. The stories can be happy, sad, angsty, or whatever you feel like writing. They just have to involve a character and the person that they are named after. Also, like Meril pointed out, there were some characters that had similar names to another person, like Elboron and Boromir.

Meril posted several examples of Tolkien characters and their namesakes. Here are some of them:

• Miriel, Feanor's mother, and Miriel, last queen of Numenor.
  • Morwen Eledhwen (First Age) and Morwen Steelsheen (Thengel of Rohan's wife, Third Age)
  • Finduilas of Nargothrond and Finduilas of Gondor.
  • Turin Turambar and his 3 Gondorian namesakes (Turambar, Turin I, Turin II)
  • The stewards often named their children after heroes of the First Age (i.e. Denethor, Boromir, Ecthelion, Egalmoth)
  • Hobbits often repeated names.
  • Dwarves had all the Durins (I-VII, I believe)
  • Sam/Rosie's kids Frodo, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Hamfast, Daisy, and Bilbo were all named after someone.
  • Pippin/Diamond's first son was named Faramir I.
  • Elboron, Faramir's son, was named for Boromir.
  • Barahir, Faramir's grandson, was named for Beren's father of the First Age.
  • Create an OC that is named after someone.

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month October 2011

Possibly not what was being looked for, and possibly not what you might have expected from me... but I hope you all enjoy it nonetheless.

The little girl sat hunched over her needlework, oblivious to the world.

All that mattered was in front of her- the brightly coloured thread, the shining silver needle, the beautiful picture forming as if by magic beneath her fingers...

Beaming like the morning, she pulled one last thread through the mat and severed it with her teeth before showing it to the nursery maid, who beamed back.

A ladybird- a simple enough design, but for one so young...

"That's my little Þerindë."

The little girl's smile widened even further- she did not know what the word meant, not then, and by the time she was old enough to do so she had forgotten all about it- or rather, she would have done had the language of the Eldar not been forsaken by the men of mighty Númenor- but it was enough for her, back then.

Still smiling, little Míriel dashed from the nursery maid, the sampler clutched in her chubby fist. She would show it to her father the King, to her mother the Queen- to anyone who would look at it. Maybe they would like it, maybe they would not...

But it did not matter.

She was the nursery maid's little Þerindë, whatever that meant.

And that was all that mattered.

It's a bit outside your usual range, yes Wink but as far as I can see it meets the criteria of the challenge (not that that matters), and is enjoyable as well. So I'm not complaining...

Glad you enjoyed it, Nath- rest assured that we will return you to your regular broadcast as soon as we've figured out these accursed glitches... Wink

What a lovely vignette, Aruthir! I love that Míriel showed her talent for embroidery so early.... I bet she got a lot of praise for her ladybug!

And I couldn't help but grin when I saw "Go to thread" at the bottom of the story.... how appropriate is that?

- Barbara

For this month's challenge I ventured into movieverse with the following double drabble:

"Look at him. Is he not the finest foal you've seen in a long time?" Léof beamed as if we were looking at his own offspring.

I looked at the spindly-legged colt suckling at his dam's teat. Indeed, a fine-looking beast; not unexpected though, with his grandsire one of the Mearas. Even so, I shook my head. "He is, but you are out of your depth and out of your mind naming him after a king of old. And if our lord hears of it, who knows..."

"Théoden is hardly Fengel to see slights where none are intended," Léof replied.

"True," I allowed, still unhappy. The king had been more than reasonable when this one's sire was born after one of the Mearh stallions had escaped and got at my mare when she was in heat. By rights he could have claimed the foal, leaving me with only recompense for the breeding. Instead I was allowed to keep him, and even breed with him, although his foals would not be counted among the Mearas. I sighed. "But it is bad luck to change a horse's name once it has been spoken aloud, so his name is Brego, right or wrong."

Quite lovely, Nath- and such a clever way of working with the MovieVerse!

A bit geeky, but here goes..

"Denethor son of Ecthelion son of Turgon shows great promise…"

The spy's report went on to explain that the young Denethor was likely to serve as a great bulwark against the Enemy when his time came, and why.  But Cirdan could not help but chuckle. 

Denethor - a fine name for a great hero.  The son of Lenwë had led, fought and died as nobly as any Elf could hope to.  But son of Ecthelion would have been rather difficult, as the former lord of Gondolin had been born many yeni after Denethor, and in any case had not been inclined to father children.  As for grandson of Turgon, while the ill-fated Noldorin King had been a friend (of sorts) to the Sindar, he would not, Cirdan knew, have deigned to receive the son of Lenwë for an audience, much less call him grandson.  Though for the latter he could perhaps be excused, as it would be disconcerting for any Elf to have a grandson much older than himself.  There had been more magic in the world in the Elder Days, but not that much.

The Shipwright chuckled once more, suppressed all thoughts of sending a message to Gondor suggesting it would be auspicious for Denethor to name his daughter (should he have one) Aredhel, then turned to the next report.

Very clever (and yes, just the tiniest bit geeky Grin )

If you'll allow me a little paraphrase...

"We all go a little geeky sometimes."

Wonderful little story, this- after all, when protagonists get to live hundreds/thousands of years, who to say that they wouldn't raise an eyebrow every once in a while? Keep on writing-I'll keep on reading!

Thanks so much, Nath and Aruthir!  Given this Nuzgul and the names of the Stewards of Gondor (and I didn't even mention the two Turins), the story practically wrote itself. Smile

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum