Forum: 2011 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: July 2011 Birthday Cards

July 2011 Birthday Cards

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in July and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the 2011 Birthhday Cards Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the birthday workshop story the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

July, 15th - maeglin: this year I would like something about the Falathrim, preferably during the Ring War.  

These Elves are so underrepresented in LOTR.  Galdor delivers Cirdan's message to the Council of Elrond, Cirdan sees the Ringbearers off at the very end, and that's it.  Yet Tolkien makes clear in UT that they were more than just a small group of mariners confined to the Grey Havens. Saruman told the Nazgul that the Shire lay "on the borders of the seaward Elvish country" (note that Hobbiton is as far from the Havens as it is from Bree!) and "saw that even the Witch-King did not relish that."  

So, they must have been numerous enough to defend a sizable territory.  And their leader Cirdan is, of course, one of the greatest Elf-Lords in history.  But what did they do during this crucial period?  One assumes they didn't just sit idle.. and I think (in addition to satisfying my birthday curiosity) this could make for some great gapfillers.

Re: July 2011 Birthday Cards

My birthday is July 15th, and this year I would like something about the Falathrim, preferably during the Ring War.  

These Elves are so underrepresented in LOTR.  Galdor delivers Cirdan's message to the Council of Elrond, Cirdan sees the Ringbearers off at the very end, and that's it.  Yet Tolkien makes clear in UT that they were more than just a small group of mariners confined to the Grey Havens. Saruman told the Nazgul that the Shire lay "on the borders of the seaward Elvish country" (note that Hobbiton is as far from the Havens as it is from Bree!) and "saw that even the Witch-King did not relish that."  

So, they must have been numerous enough to defend a sizable territory.  And their leader Cirdan is, of course, one of the greatest Elf-Lords in history.  But what did they do during this crucial period?  One assumes they didn't just sit idle.. and I think (in addition to satisfying my birthday curiosity) this could make for some great gapfillers.

Thanks!
Maeglin

Well, guess the Falas-Muse didn't bite anybody :0 

How about a (happy) Celebrimbor story?

I'm not exactly the best at happy, but... I hope this counts, Maeglin?

She holds up her hand to the light, turning it this way and that, admiring the play of the light upon the gem.

"Beautiful."

I am not sure which one of us murmurs it first, but our eyes lock for one second, and I am content.

She cannot be mine.

I have come to accept that.

She cannot be mine, no...

"Beautiful."

She smiles at me, and it is like the dawn after a nightmare.

I want to hate her- I want to seethe, to rage, to wail with envy and bitterness and hate...

"Beautiful."

But I cannot.

For I love her.

She cannot be mine, no...

...but forever and always, I will be hers.

"Beautiful."

She cannot be mine, no... but forever and always, I will be hers.  "Beautiful."

As is this drabble - this last line especially.  You depict C's emotional state very well.  Indeed, 'not happy', but very alive

You are very, very good at writing "real" characters, in this and many other tales.  Thanks, Aruthir! 

Maeglin

Thankyou for those kind words, Maeglin- and thanks for prompting my oh-so-lazy Muse into action! Grin  

It has taken a while, but I find I must slip away from my current involvement in Anórien to offer this.  Hopefully it is something close to what you desired.

End Game Strategies

"Do you believe that he will send his forces our way?  For word is that the orcs and trolls of the northern Misty Mountains mass about the Ford of the Bruinen, ready to fall upon Elrond's borders should he regain his Ring and so the wards about Imladris fail; and it has ever been thus about the boundaries of the Golden Wood and Thranduil's realm!"

"It is not just Elves he threatens, as you well know, Galdor.  Nay—Sauron wishes sway over all—all or nothing."

"So you believe we, too, will be besieged."

Círdan gave his famous smile, the smile of one who had lived through too many assaults and sieges in his long life, from the shadowed Hunter of the days before Days to Melkor's vast armies of twisted Maiar, Eldar, and Edain; from assaults by the Kinslayers to Sauron's goblins and wolfriders.  "We have ever known little but siege, my friend.  There is nothing new in that.  But we will continue preparing our ships even as we sharpen our blades, and we shall twist as many bowstrings as lines.  I fear we shall need to set both arrows and sails free to be borne by the winds of Manwë Súlimo ere the current conflict is decided."

A fascinating look at this situation, Aruthir.  His beloved holds Nenya....

Thanks, Larner!  Cirdan's always seemed to me (in addition to being wise and farsighted) pragmatic, as others who didn't survive through all the Ages of Arda were not.  You wrote him as all of these at once - nice  

Especially liked the last few lines - "But we will continue preparing our ships even as we sharpen our blades, and we shall twist as many bowstrings as lines.  I fear we shall need to set both arrows and sails free to be borne by the winds of Manwë Súlimo ere the current conflict is decided."  I don't doubt that "both arrows and sails" were required, and well-employed

Maeglin

Happy Birthday, maeglin!

East

Galdor was unsurprised that Círdan would see him immediately upon his return from Rivendell, even if it was in the middle of the night.

The Shipwright wasted no time on courtesies. "What was the decision of Elrond's Council?" he asked as soon as Galdor entered.

Galdor's reply was equally abrupt. "It is going East."

"East?" Círdan's expression was guarded, and Galdor wondered what went through his mind.

"To make an end of it."

"Then we can but wait, and guard the Western road, lest it be an evil end." Círdan sighed. "Mithrandir, I hope you are right," he added softly.

I am so glad that you feel I caught Cirdan so well, Maeglin.  As perhaps the oldest Elf remaining in all of the Mortal Lands, he has to have seen almost everything, and he would definitely have to be pragmatic in nature. And I do hope your birthday was a good one!

I suspect that Cirdan was not the only one with that hope in his heart.  Well done, Nash!

Good stuff, Nath!    A sensible strategy for the Falathrim - holding key roads in case a fighting retreat became necessary.. (as must have seemed very likely ).

Thanks,

Maeglin

Glad you liked it - no, the Elves really wouldn't like their retreat cut off if it came to it... You little devil!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2011 - HASA Birthdays