Forum: Domain of the Dúnedain

Discussing: Geography of the Realms of Exile

Geography of the Realms of Exile

"In this evil hour I have come on an errand over many dangerous leagues to Elrond: a hundred and ten days I have journeyed all alone." -- Boromir at the Council of Elrond "I have had a hard life and a long; and the leagues that lie between here and Gondor are a small part in the count of my journeys." -- Aragorn at the Council of Elrond
How far was it from Annúminas to Minas Tirith? What type of roads connected the two kingdoms, and what dangers could travelers expect to meet on the road? Feel free to pose any questions relating to the Geography of the Kingdoms in Exile here.

Re: Geography of the Realms of Exile

You know, I would love to find a map that shows the exact boundries of the North and South Kingdoms in the early Third Age. Especially of Arnor split up into the three kingdoms. I tried myself once, using the descriptions I could find, and I drew all over the map in my LOTR. Anyone know if such maps exist? Also, in the early Third Age, before there was even Rohan, did Gondor claim all that land as theirs? Was it all in their borders? Or was it all just open land? Arquen

There's a map in the Atlas of Middle-earth, which is the most amazing book, ever. It says that Arnor and Gondor were originally separate fiefs under the final authority of Elendil, but after he died, the two realms were divided amongst their sons. Later Arnor was divided and subdivided into three or more separate kingdoms until it fell apart completely. Kind of like the Carolingian Empire (Charlemagne) in the Middle-ages. All three regions of Arnor, Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhudaur, meet at Weathertop. The boundaries of all Arnor look like they touch the Tower Hills, go straight up to Ice Bay, press against the Hithaeglir approximately fifty miles south of Angmar and then its southern border follows the Bruinen/Gwathlo (the Bruinen turns into the Gwathlo after it passes through Tharbad) all the way to the sea.

The Atlas gives an exact descriptions of the boundaries of the three kingdoms, so I don't even have to think about it and stare at three different maps, as I did in my last post. It says, "Arthedain's boundary with Cardolan ran from the coast, up the Baranduin to the Great East Road, and along it to Weathertop. From there to the northern fringe Arthedain bordered with Rhudaur in a line along the weather hills. Rhudaur and Cardolan lay on the north and south, respectively, of the Great Road between Weathertop and the upper waters of the Greyflood (Gwathlo), while the Angle beyond the river was part of Rhudaur. All the kingdoms met at Weathertop, and the desire to obtain that frontier fortress and its palantir cause further enmity between the realms of Cardolan and Rhudaur, who had no other "Seeing Stone." It looks like Gondor encompasses what later becomes Rohan, as well as huge hunks of land in what later becomes Dunland. Not only that, its territory includes what I think is in the Third Age Rhun -- that huge open area immediately noth of the Ered Lithui.

Yes, get Fonstadt's Atlas. It's a fabulous resource. I can't remember how expensive it was (just under $20, I think) but it has been well worth it. Until you can get your hands on a copy, though, the best electronic map I've found is at the Encyclopedia of Arda: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/a/arnor.html"

Wow, thanks for all of the great information, Gypsum! It'll definitely help me with my fic. I really do need to get that Atlas since I keep hearing such great things about it. About Weathertop, I was always under the impression that Arthedain controlled the tower until after it's destruction in 1409 of the Third Age. Was it actually Cardolan, or was it a joint custody thing? Arquen

Yes, that's also the best map that I've found on the net so far. Really need to get the Atlas! Arquen

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Domain of the Dúnedain