Forum: Domain of the Dúnedain

Discussing: Language in the Dúnedain Realms

Language in the Dúnedain Realms

They spoke together in soft voices, at first using the Common Speech, but after the manner of older days, and then changing to another language of their own. To his amazement, as he listened Frodo became aware that it was the Elven-tongue that they spoke, or one but little different; and he looked at them with wonder, for he knew then that they must be Dúnedain of the South, men of the line of the Lords of Westernesse. -- description of Faramir's Rangers, as perceived by Frodo
The Númenóreans and the Dúnedain of the North and South spoke languages besides the Common Speech, most notably Sindarin. Feel free to post questions here about what languages they would have spoken in a certain situation. Also, if you have questions about translations for your stories, you may ask them here.

Re: Language in the Dúnedain Realms

Would the royal Dunedain (the King and his family) have spoken Sindarin when alone? This is refering mainly to the Dunedain of the early Third Age. I remember reading somewhere that among themselves Dunedain would speak Sindarin, but, of course, I can't remember where I read it. But now that I'm thinking about it, would they have spoken Adunaic or else a combination of both? Or was Adunaic by that time considered the evil language of the last king of Numenor and so banished since so many of the Dunedain (especially royalty) were descended from the Faithful? (You might come to regret letting me ask questions, Marta! I can go on and on and on and on...) Arquen

Would the royal Dunedain (the King and his family) have spoken Sindarin when alone? This is refering mainly to the Dunedain of the early Third Age. I remember reading somewhere that among themselves Dunedain would speak Sindarin, but, of course, I can't remember where I read it. I think so. The key passage, at least to me, is when Frodo overhears some of Faramir's rangers speaking among themselves. I'll link to that passage and some others in a minute. But now that I'm thinking about it, would they have spoken Adunaic or else a combination of both? Or was Adunaic by that time considered the evil language of the last king of Numenor and so banished since so many of the Dunedain (especially royalty) were descended from the Faithful? (You might come to regret letting me ask questions, Marta! I can go on and on and on and on...) Not at all. But instead of answering it, I'm going to link you to another thread. Melina asked over at the Research Questions Forum,
I've been thinking about how Boromir and Faramir might have been educated as young noblemen. In particular, I'm interested in languages -- would they have learned to read Adunaic or Quenya, or to speak Sindarin, or Rohirric?
Liz and I both answered her, with some quotes that you might find interesting. Check out that thread here. Cheers, Marta

I'll take a look at the thread soon. Thanks for linking it! Arquen (Who's visiting her mom for the first time in two years and getting spoiled!)

Arquen (Who's visiting her mom for the first time in two years and getting spoiled!) Wonderful, Arquen! Enjoy it as much as you can Starlight

Just read the link you provided, Marta, and had all my questions answered. Thanks again. I knew I had read that somewhere, but couldn't remember where, and since I'm a stickler for canon, I like to make sure what I'm claiming is right. Wonderful, Arquen! Enjoy it as much as you can Starlight Thanks Starlight! I am! Arquen

Just read the link you provided, Marta, and had all my questions answered. Thanks again. I knew I had read that somewhere, but couldn't remember where, and since I'm a stickler for canon, I like to make sure what I'm claiming is right. Of course! That's part of the reason Liz and I set up this thread, so people could discuss these things. If you're a stickler for canon, though, I'd be interested to know whether my thoughts made sense? They were backed up by quotes, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong. Cheers, Marta

For the life of me I can't figure it out: How does one pronouce 'Rhudaur'? Would one follow Tolkien's rules of diphthongs for Sindarin? Any ideas? Arquen

I would think it would follow sindarin rules. so: ru d ou r rue-dour or maybe rude-our accent on the first syllable of course. AU is a dipthong as in 'loud' and 'how' rh is a voiceless 'r'. Completely unhelpfully it is described as not trilled like the 'r' in part. My brain usually reads it like RUE-dour. YMMV. Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Domain of the Dúnedain