Forum: An Unexpected Discussion? (Or not)

Discussing: "Tauriel" -- Evil or Amazing?

"Tauriel" -- Evil or Amazing?

Peter Jackson's "Tauriel." Is she an evil Mary-Sue who should be banned from ME permanently, or is she simply an over used OC plot-bunnie? 

My opinion (Don't read if you are already in love with her...):

Peter Jackson stole my Tauriel's name, stuck it on an OC Mary-Sue and is attempting to make the Hobbit into a politically correct, Elf-worship movie. Tolkien is probably rolling over in his grave. For the record: the Tauriel who appears in my stories, (and my name also) is not, Not, NOT, PJ's "Tauriel."

If you are a Tauriel lover, tell me why she is so great and deserves to take her place beside Legolas, Aragorn, and Frodo, in Tolkien history.

Re:

I fear Jackson's Tauriel didn't make an impression on me. Refresh my memory, please?

Re: Re:

"Tauriel" does not appear in Unexpected Journey. Her appearance will be in Desolation of Smaug. She is the captain of Mirkwood forces, and apparently Kili is going to fall in love with her. She is Legolas's equal in archery, and they often work together. You can google her and find more info.

Ugh.

I'll pass, if it's all the same with you...

You have no idea how long I've been waiting for someone to say "Ugh!" in reference to "Tauriel"!!   I understand the draw to include more female characters in the Hobbit, but why does it have to be a Mary-Sue? Ah well... Maybe I'll find more people who agree with me after the movie is released.

' apparently Kili is going to fall in love with her'

Well that idea has some canon basis

(initally i re-read it as the other way around, and went 'yeurk'.

She could be OK, I suppose, we'll wait and see

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to An Unexpected Discussion? (Or not)