Comments for: Under My Wing

Talk to EdorasLass

Soubrettina - 13 Jan 06 - 2:44 PM

I have to say this really is one of those ideas that I now couldn't imagine not having come into being. I was loosely aware at first that the Bros.Mir must have had a nurse, but...

It all makes perfect sense. How else, having been (in theory) mostly raised by deeply emotionally introverted, favouritist Denethor- and when they did have a mother she was quite possibly dying from depression- surrounded by people who reveared them as the most important little boys in the country- did these two grow up so reletively well-adjusted, amicable, affectionate and normal? (Not entirely so, as things got a bit more strained later on, but a lot more normal than they could have been under the circumstances). Cameraderie with their fellow soldiers might have helped, but of course! it was mostly because the person who actually brought them up was actually very sensible! Hooray for Nanny!

EdorasLass - 13 Jan 06 - 4:17 PM

Thank you so much! Since Nanny was one of my very first LOTR ficlets ever, you can tell that this subject was always on my mind. :)

<i>it was mostly because the person who actually brought them up was actually very sensible! Hooray for Nanny!

</i>*blush* Thank you!  I'm pleased that people like her, because I'm rather fond of her myself.

And you're right -- they both did turn out awfully normal, all things considered. They could have been horrible, spoiled, haughty little prigs, but they weren't - there had to be some stabilizing influence there.  I'm glad to let it be Nanny. :)

Bodkin - 04 Feb 06 - 1:15 AM

Ch. 1: Soon To Be Parted

Great to see Nanny's family.  Braneth seems the most sensible, but Minuial is a bit of a Lydia Bennett!  With Gwenel as Kitty.

EdorasLass - 05 Feb 06 - 1:21 AM

Ch. 1: Soon To Be Parted

Bodkin - Thanks!   This was written as a request for Meril - I hadn't expected to write about Nanny's siblings so soon, so I'm glad it turned out well.

And you are so right - Minuial is very much a Lydia Bennett! :) Let's hope she grows out of it.

EdorasLass

Raksha The Demon - 13 Jan 06 - 9:49 PM

Ch. 3: First Horse

The things one gives a baby, even an extremely high-ranking baby!  Boromir will one day enjoy the daggers, but what will he do with the sculptures?  But a stuffed pony is useful!

Agape4Gondor - 25 Dec 05 - 5:44 PM

Ch. 7: Rumours (part 3)

Delightful chapter again!  Very glad for our little nanny that the Lady Finduilas was court-born and used to 'stuff!'

Agape4Gondor

EdorasLass - 30 Dec 05 - 10:56 PM

Ch. 7: Rumours (part 3)

Agape - Thanks! Right now, the poor girl's just very young and kind of naive about a lot of things, unless they're things that have to do with children. She'll learn. :)

Agape4Gondor - 01 Dec 05 - 7:59 PM

Ch. 11: Temper

Delightfully wonderful chapter, EdorasLass.  You do know I thoroughly love these tales.

Dearest Boromir - and our wonderfully patient nanny.

Thanks for sharing this!

Agape

Bodkin - 02 Dec 05 - 11:25 AM

Ch. 11: Temper

I love Nanny!  She is gentle and loving - and she doesn't give in!  Gondor will be grateful for her care - it turned out an excellent Captain-General.

EdorasLass - 03 Dec 05 - 3:47 PM

Ch. 11: Temper

Agape -

Thank you! This is actually how I've handled the screaming fit situation -- just ignore them until they realize it's not doing any good. You do have to be rather stubborn yourself for it to work, though - and also have very selective hearing. :)

EdorasLass - 03 Dec 05 - 3:49 PM

Ch. 11: Temper

Bodkin -

Thanks! I'm actually picturing that guard teasing Boromir about the incident when Boromir's 16 or 25 or some such age. Talk about embarrassing!

Bodkin - 02 Dec 05 - 11:30 AM

Ch. 12: A Day Out

I think this might be my very favourite chapter.

EdorasLass - 03 Dec 05 - 3:45 PM

Ch. 12: A Day Out

Thank you! It kinda wore me out writing it. Hauling kids around is work!

Bodkin - 02 Dec 05 - 11:32 AM

Ch. 15: Consquences

Although, on the other hand, this might be my very favourite.  Nanny is very modest - I can imagine that Denethor knew everything about her before accepting her into his household - and I just love the way she turns on the dimwit who dismisses Boromir.

EdorasLass - 03 Dec 05 - 3:44 PM

Ch. 15: Consquences

Bodkin -

Thanks!

She thinks she's just not important enough to have anyone care about her background. She knows her position is an important one, but she doesn't think that she herself is. :)

and I cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to slap people who are rude to kids.

Agape4Gondor - 14 Jan 06 - 6:07 AM

Ch. 19: Quality Time

One of your best chapters ever... but I am a sucker for Faramir/Denethor stories.

Agape

Bodkin - 25 Mar 06 - 12:48 AM

Ch. 28: By Any Other Name

I just love the image of little Faramir doing rabbit imitations.  And his concerns about his big brother, the duckling.

And I'm sure the reason he took some time to start talking was that he wanted to have a real understanding of grammar and the use of the subjunctive before he began to make speeches in public.

EdorasLass - 25 Mar 06 - 7:08 AM

Ch. 28: By Any Other Name

Bodkin - Thanks!
Faramir just had no idea that the word meant anything besides "my big brother". :)

Heee...yep, even at this young age, apparently Faramir's afraid he'll use the wrong word or conjugate something incorrectly.

Bodkin - 04 Feb 06 - 1:12 AM

Ch. 29: Different Tastes

I just love this story - and thank you for putting the date on the new episodes.  Nanny's relationship with Boromir and Faramir is delightful - and so are her observations on the rest of the family.

EdorasLass - 05 Feb 06 - 1:19 AM

Ch. 29: Different Tastes

Bodkin - Thank you!

Often times I find the view of a servant to be more telling than that of a major character - they see a lot more than people think.

Bodkin - 11 Mar 06 - 5:31 AM

Ch. 34: A Good Start

I just love these stories - they are very high on my list of looked-for tales.  And each one is simply delightful.

I'll bet Boromir found it hard to credit that his littlt brother was learning to read from choice!

EdorasLass - 11 Mar 06 - 9:20 AM

Ch. 34: A Good Start

Bodkin - Thanks so much!

And you're probably right - wanting to  go to school and sit still for hours with a book is probably not something high on Boromir's list of things to do! :)

Bodkin - 03 May 06 - 12:41 PM

Ch. 35: Curious

Poor Faramir - hitting thirteen won't necessarily have seemed the best thing possible if it meant losing Nanny - his mother substitute since his earliest years.  On the other hand, it really is only fair that Nanny should have her own life.  Sitting in the nursery waiting for her nurselings to come home wouldn't be much of a life for her.

H'mm.  More on Nanny in her post-Nannying days?  I'd love to know what became of her ... and whether she ended up in Emyn Arnen, caring for a bunch of half-Rohirric kids.

Agape4Gondor - 09 Mar 06 - 8:25 PM

Ch. 36: ...18,19,20!

Drat you, EdorasLass....

You've got me sniffling again!

I so love your Faramir/Boromir moments!

Bless you!

Agape4Gondor

EdorasLass - 10 Mar 06 - 10:23 AM

Ch. 36: ...18,19,20!

Thank you so much! :)

EL

Bodkin - 25 Mar 06 - 12:52 AM

Ch. 37: Separation Anxiety

I am glad that Faramir made his big brother pay for his insensitivity.  And I do admire the way Boromir stoically endured the snub as well-deserved.

It is hard for older children to have younger siblings in constant attendance - and looking grown-up often seems synonymous with cruelty when you are only nine.  But still!  He could have said something to Nanny - she would have been understanding.   The way he faced her after having lost Faramir was very brave, though.  He will make a good Captain-General, if he has the nerve to face a carer whose child he has lost!  Orcs could be no more scary!!

This is one of my very, very favourite stories - and these chapters are well up to standard.  Delightful.

EdorasLass - 25 Mar 06 - 7:18 AM

Ch. 37: Separation Anxiety

Bodkin - thank you!  Yes, Faramir ignoring Boromir was probably more effective than anything Nanny could do.

Yep, having younger sibs around all the time is a pain -- Nanny just wasn't thinking about either boy wanting time away from the other.

Boromir knows when he's done something wrong. And by now he's learned that lying or trying to hide a wrong-doing will only get him in more trouble - so he might as well face up to it.  :)

I'm glad you liked it!
Edoraslass

Raksha The Demon - 01 Dec 05 - 7:23 PM

Ch. 39: Upheaval

Oh, this is so sad.  Those kids need comfort; and Nanny needs a rest.  Didn't Finduilas have a sister who could possibly come and spend some time with them.  And poor little Faramir is so devastated.  Their father should reach out to them, spend time with them - yes, he's horribly bereaved, but these are his sons, and they're little kids who need to know that they still have one parent left...

EdorasLass - 02 Dec 05 - 7:09 AM

Ch. 39: Upheaval

Raksha - Finduilas had a sister, but since that sister's the oldest, I always assumed she was already married and had a family of her own. And I can't imagine that Denthor's close to his sisters.

Poor little bitties.  I really didn't mean to write anything about this subject (too sad), but out it popped.

Thank you!

EL

Agape4Gondor - 07 Dec 05 - 8:06 PM

Ch. 42: Safety

Hugs!

As always, delightful, peaceful, and beautiful.

Very glad you 'happened' to write another chapter.

Agape

Raksha The Demon - 07 Dec 05 - 8:09 PM

Ch. 42: Safety

Awwwww.  Did little Faramir have the wave dream?  Poor little guy.

Nice filk of "Blackbird".

EdorasLass - 09 Dec 05 - 8:48 AM

Ch. 42: Safety

Raksha -- Thank you! Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking -- and I'm glad the filk worked. I'm not really a filk kind of girl. :)

Agape4Gondor - 29 Jan 06 - 8:09 PM

Ch. 46: A New Friend

I like your depiction of Faramir in this chapter... and the trouble that such a little thing can get one into... apricots no less!

Thanks for another great chapter!

Agape

Raksha The Demon - 27 May 06 - 5:51 AM

Ch. 47: News

Aghhh!  This is quietly heartbreaking.  And very well-written, true to Nanny's character.

At least we now know she did marry and have a family and home of her own.

EdorasLass - 27 May 06 - 12:01 PM

Ch. 47: News

Raksha - Thank you. It's one of the few things I've written that still make me weepy.
EL

JunoMagic - 03 Aug 06 - 12:40 AM

Ch. 47: News

I can only say again: how sad!

What strikes me most about this chapter/ficlet is that it's a brilliant lesson about how valuable it is to build up a special vocabulary within your story. The impact of the endearment in this story is so great, because it's been in this series almost from the beginning, characterizing the protagonist and her relationship with the children.

Really well done!

EdorasLass - 05 Aug 06 - 12:06 PM

Ch. 47: News

Juno - Thank you!

I wasn't consciously thinking about building a story-specific vocabulary - it just happened. :)  You know that she was calling him "duckling" until the last time she saw him (much to his amused chagrin, I'm sure) - and I'm sure there's some part of her that never quite believed he was an adult.