Comments for: Necessity and Desire

Talk to Gwynnyd

Necessity and Desire

Anna Wing - 02 Apr 06 - 11:21 PM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

I am very impressed by this. It is not often that one sees Aragorn convincing in his capacity of soldier and strategist. You've also given Arwen character, which is very nice. She is after all an old and powerful woman in her own right, not a ditzy little girl. The plot point about Boromir is very ingenious, congratulations!

Go to Necessity and Desire

Necessity and Desire

Dwimordene - 20 May 06 - 8:10 AM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

I know I've said it privately, Gwynnyd, but it's a wonderful gap-filler that brings together several loose ends just prior to the Council. Good use is made of the twins, and also of Arwen in her brief appearance, and the military-political discussion was very nicely done. Aragorn addicts should enjoy this, as should the children of Elrond enthusiasts.

More please!

Dwim

Go to Necessity and Desire

Necessity and Desire

fliewatuet - 21 May 06 - 4:59 AM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

I have to second Dwim's praise: an excellent gap-filler that fits nicely with Tolkien's "facts".  I love your explanation for the table arrangements, Aragorn's absence and the fact that he was obviously dressed up for the occasion. And the discussion of politics and military strategies added a wonderful depth not only to the story but also to the characters of Aragorn, Elladan and Elrohir. Most enjoyable to read :-)

fliewatuet

Go to Necessity and Desire

Necessity and Desire

Naiad - 22 May 06 - 8:28 PM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

Excellent gap filler! All the issues I'd wondered about when reading 'Many Meetings' are plausibly addressed here.

Great attention to detail - readers see the aftermath of the Ford, the Brothers returning at night to their home, not to mention Aragorn's room.

Characterization of Aragorn is compelling and well-founded on his canon presence. Love his voice and language, as in  "If I am asked to lead the Ringbearer thither for the safety for all, shall I deny it to follow… what? Gondor seeks only a broken sword,"  (which also shows how cleverly and economically the story's action has been thought out).

Thanks, Raksha

Go to Necessity and Desire

Necessity and Desire

RS - 06 Dec 06 - 6:08 PM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

I never tire of reading this!  Your skill in military strategy just amazes me and, of course, the flirtation between Aragorn and Arwen just tickles me.

Congrats for taking first place.

Go to Necessity and Desire

Necessity and Desire

RS - 20 Jan 10 - 9:43 PM

Ch. 1: Necessity and Desire

A revised version?  And I thought it couldn't get any better.

what makes your stories so enjoyable are the little details you add to your characters--the slight gestures and movements, the facial expressions:  "slowly, the stranger stood up, hands open and in front of him";    " Aragorn allowed a grin and leaned against a pillar to watch the drama play out";      "Arwen dropped the paper she carried into his hand and stared at the dais, eyes narrowed and lips compressed into a line";    ".Elladan slid papers clear to make a place to sit on the edge of the desk ";     "A smile played lightly along his lips, though his eyes were serious. "I would say that 'patient' and 'discreet' suit me better, lady. Would you have me timid?"   (my favorite...whew..very sexy in a subtle way)

These may be little things but they make the characters alive..more real!

And that thing with Aragorn's wine... I don't think he even drank any of it...did he?

One of my all time favorites!

Go to Necessity and Desire