Comments for: The Princess and the Horse Lord

Talk to oshun

The Princess and the Horse Lord

Gandalfs apprentice - 04 Jul 06 - 12:29 PM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Kudos, Oshun! A thoroughly engrossing chapter. All your characters are so alive, and given the sheer number of them--Lothiriel, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, just to begin--it is utterly remarkable. The celebratory atmosphere is heart-lifting, and I got as hungry as a Hobbit reading about all that food.

Most remarkable is Eomer. What a gem! Lothiriel had better not mess this one up. My only criticism is, perhaps you had better note one big difference between Aragorn and Eomer on the jealousy question: at the time, Arwen had rejected Aragorn. Eomer does not have that problem!

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

Bardess - 05 Jul 06 - 12:34 PM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

I am really enjoying your portrayal of Eomer as a sensible, well adjusted young man. Lothiriel, the swan princess, is just as temperamental and noisy as a real swan. They both seem to be behaving in a much more mature fashion than in previous chapters.  Eliminating the tatoo episode was a good idea. It did not seem to fit into the storyline except possibly to develop Nimrodel as a 'bad influence' archetype.

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

oshun - 05 Jul 06 - 8:19 PM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Bardess and Gandalf:

Thanks. I am glad the characters are working for you--I think I would prefer "plausible" to "mature" (although I hope Eomer appears to be the more mature of the two). I don't want anyone to get too comfortable with the concept of maturity.

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

Raihon - 08 Jul 06 - 10:57 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Hiya! Fun chapter -  your love of the characters is transmitted well through the writing, leaving me with a hearty affection for them, too.

I caught one typo in this chapter:

It had been a long day and most of the company had sleep very little

- Raihon

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

oshun - 09 Jul 06 - 6:21 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Hi Raihon--thanks for reading and commenting and catching the typo!

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

Bardess - 18 Jul 06 - 10:23 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Hello again,  just back from a hot, humid week in D.C.  How about the recipe for that white sauce?  It might be delicious with lobster and baby green peas.  OK, enough fooling around.  I'd like to comment on the use of the term 'of Rohan' and the word 'Rohirrim.'

Here's the deal.  Some phrases in your novel, such as 'the rowdy Rohirrim' work very well.  Other phrases, such as 'Rohirrim riders' and 'Rohirrim directness' seem syntactically awkward.  The people of Rohan are called the Rohirrim.  Therefore the the riders of Rohan would be called Rohirrim, but not Rohirrim riders.  Did Professor T. use the word 'Rohirric' as an adjective or adverb to describe thing done in the typical manner of the people of Rohan? I can't remember, but it seems somehow to fit.

As an aside, I like your sidebar story about an absurd and drunken Legolas getting confused with weird human sexual/social behavior. You do very well with the idea of putting characters who seem to have been typecast into 'complete opposite' type situations.

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

oshun - 18 Jul 06 - 10:55 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

Thanks for your note on the use of Rohirrim as an adjective—it was deliberate--that doesn't make it good or right. I will keep your comment in mind. In my world, talking about food is never "fooling around." We are Hobbits when it comes to thinking about, enjoying food. A slight variation might work with lobster. (I'm waiting for someone to recognize the recipe—one reader did in a private email. A hint is that I lived in Mexico for several years.)

Glad you enjoyed my LaCE challenge story. The sweet compliant Legolas of a lot of fanon doesn't fit my conception at all; although he can hardly be seen as "canon" in the fic you refer to either—not even mine!

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord

The Princess and the Horse Lord

Ailiniel - 12 Jun 11 - 3:18 PM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Ithilien

So many chapters at once read?Too much to bare.

I have but to agree with the comments adove,especially with G.A.Oh,and add how eager I am to read your Arwen's version,which seems really interesting.

Go to The Princess and the Horse Lord