Comments for: Orc-brat

Talk to The Lauderdale

Orc-brat

Raksha The Demon - 25 Dec 09 - 8:13 PM

A riveting story that I would like to see concluded!  You have created memorable characters in Leni and Maevyn; and I want to know if they will survive; and if Maevyn especially will still be recognizable if she does...

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

jade_98765 - 30 Sep 09 - 6:23 PM

Ch. 6: Shaping

Great!  I've read Treed - that's the reason why the Leni/Kurbag is so interesting to me.  I'll be looking forward to the new chapter!

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

Aganaphel - 25 Apr 08 - 6:19 PM

Ch. 19: Trapped

This is definitely an outstanding story - the best story focussing on orcs/uruks that I have ever read. Great characterization, even the minor characters are hard to forget. Keep up the good work and update soon, please! Cheers, Aganaphel

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

thelauderdale - 28 Apr 08 - 4:26 AM

Ch. 19: Trapped

Aganaphel,

I was glad to receive your comment!  I've not gotten many on this story, here at Henneth-Annun at any rate, and it was most appreciated.  Knock on wood, I hope to update Orc-brat again soon.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

pandemonium_213 - 28 Apr 08 - 6:30 AM

Ch. 19: Trapped

I stumbled upon "Orc-brat" this past weekend thanks to the comments field on HASA.  Otherwise, I would not have known this extraordinary WIP existed.

Lauderdale, you hooked me in the first chapter and had me reeled in before its completion.  The pacing is excellent; "Orc-brat" proved to be a digital page-turner for me.  Gritty and resourceful Maevyn and Leni with her determination to live combined with Elvish fatalism come alive with your characterizations.

Then there are the orcs.

Your portrayal of Bragdagash's crew is brilliant.  You've given each orc (used collectively for Orc, Uruk and Uruk-hai) a vivid and distinctive personality and fleshed out (as it were) their culture (sub-cultures, really, depending on the variety of orc) and behaviors.  It's almost as if an anthropologist has stepped in to observe these guys.  And the dark humor?  Oh, man, great stuff!

In "Orc-brat," you take the orcs far beyond a clichéd unidimensional view of "evil." The reader is confronted by their humanity, however debased it is.  If I recall correctly, Tolkien said that in the trenches of WWI, all men became orcs to some degree or another.  "Orc-brat" made me think of the fine line that divides human nobility from brutality.

I note that the first chapters were posted here about two years ago, correct?  I hope you have the impetus to continue and complete Maevyn's story.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

thelauderdale - 28 Apr 08 - 3:18 PM

Ch. 19: Trapped

(I suspecting I'm using the comments function wrong...) To pandemonium_213:

Thank you so much for your review.  I certainly plan to continue and complete this story: I even know how it ends, though that won't be for a while yet.  I will admit that I tend to break off for long periods.  There was a very long break between Chapter 18 and Chapter 19, for example, during which I worked on Orc-brat and on its prequel, Treed, but never had a decent Chapter 19.  However, I've been very productive lately and hope to upload new chapters for both stories soon.

Thank you also for your words on the Orc characters, who I am fond of despite their ugly behavior.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

Aganaphel - 27 Jun 08 - 8:05 AM

Ch. 20: Lessons and Assignations

Wow - you have updated, what a pleasure!

Maevyn is a tough one, no mistake. She becomes tougher every day and more "orc-bratty" so to say. I start to believe that the day of revenge WILL come - when she will have the blood of those who killed her parents. Unless she becomes exactly like the orcs and forgets what it all was about...

Lenny pales before Maevyn. Her way of resistance (for she does resist, even the orcs start to feel it) is a dead end, unfortunately. But, unlike Maevyn, she will remain an elf. Maevyn may win - but for that she has to loose her humanity. Am I getting the message right?Smile.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

thelauderdale - 28 Jun 08 - 12:46 PM

Ch. 20: Lessons and Assignations

Aganaphel:

Thank you for your comment, and I think you have it dead to rights.  It's true, Maevyn wants revenge above all else.  Her family is dead and she doesn't feel as if she has anything left to lose, so that's what she's living for.  Whereas Leni is bent on survival, not just of the body but of her innermost self: some form of personal integrity. She wants to live, and Maevyn wants heads to roll.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

Aganaphel - 20 Sep 08 - 3:23 PM

Ch. 23: Under An Influence

Great update, The Lauderdale! I was almost sure that you were about to make Maevyn reach the village, warn them and return undetected. I kept thinking how unrealistic it would be. I am really happy to see that in truth Maevyn  abandoned that brash plan and even apologized to Leni (sort of).  Also I like the girl's attachment to eagle eggs, though I wonder what the orcs want them for: could be nothing good, indeed.

Go to Orc-brat

Orc-brat

thelauderdale - 21 Sep 08 - 10:02 AM

Ch. 23: Under An Influence

Aganaphel:

Thanks for your review!  You're not the only person who thought Maevyn had warned the village.  There will be other opportunities, but this time I just thought she was at too much of a disadvantage and would have wandered blind in the woods till Grushak tracked her down and put a knife in her. Maevyn also has a tendency to spout off without thinking, so I was glad she made up with Leni and to see them working together for once.

As for what Orcs want with eagle eggs, that is coming...

Go to Orc-brat