Comments for: No Man's Child

Talk to Anoriath

No Man's Child

Gandalfs apprentice - 08 Aug 06 - 9:37 AM

Anoriath: This is a hauntingly beautiful and lyrically sad piece, although I hope there may be some moments of joy before the end. Your characterization is vivid and deft. Your AU is, of course, an all-too-likely one--what would happen if Aragorn's death looked imminent, and he had no heir? My heart bleeds for all the major characters here. Thank you! I will follow your story avidly.

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Anoriath - 08 Aug 06 - 4:06 PM

Hey there, Gandalf's apprentice!

I am honored. Thank you for your kind comments, and so eloquently expressed, too. They made my day.

~Anoriath (aka Silli Marilli)

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Anoriath - 18 Aug 06 - 3:46 AM

<i>What a well-wrought scene! The heroine's courage and decency come through in her actions, as does Aragorn's sorrow and conflict. Such a sad story</i>

Thanks for your kind words, Gandalf's Apprentice!

Tolkien seems to idealize romantic love, and while I enjoy that, I also wonder at the other side of life that lurked unexplored in his writing.  With the political structure of ME that he built, there had to have been arranged marriages, and I can't imagine that the sacrifice that made them necessary was always easy.

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Gwynnyd - 06 Sep 06 - 12:55 PM

Ahem! Well, that was quite nice. I look forward very much to new chapters.

No, that does not do it justice.

That was WONDERFUL! New chapters? Now, please? Please, please, pretty please???

One really tiny quibble. I know natural dyers. They give me madder to grow for them and assure me they will come for the roots in oh, five or ten or, yeah, probably better to wait fifteen years. No dyer would expect to get a good dye of out one summer's growth.

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Anoriath - 06 Sep 06 - 5:41 PM

That was WONDERFUL!

Awwww! *blush* Thanks, Gwynnyd!

New chapters? Now, please? Please, please, pretty please???

*huffpuffhuff* *clicketyclick* *baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackspace* *groan* What IS that word? *click?* nope *clickclacketyclickCLACK* ugh... even worse.

Workin' on it. ;)

Wow... didn't know that. Good! Good! I've dabbled in fiber arts just enough to know the jargon and have a tactile-kinesthetic sense of it, but I lack that kind of depth of experience that you're talking about. Thanks for the heads-up. And, certainly, if you see anything else like that that jars, please let me know!

Thanks again, Gwynnyd! I'm tickled you're reading and enjoying the story.

~Silli

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Petunia Uphill - 22 Sep 06 - 12:33 PM

I find this story most delightful. I have often pondered how things might have turned out had Aragorn made the choice he made in this story, though I never could have made my imaginings such a living picture as you have done here.

The first person narrative suits the story and style perfectly, and the old-style language is like icing on the cake. Not many can make it just the right blend, but you appear to be one of those blessed with genuine skill.

I shall wait for the continuation eagerly.

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Anoriath - 23 Sep 06 - 5:25 AM

Thanks Ms. Uphill. It took a long time to get that "voice" clear in my head. But now it's there, I can't get rid of it so easily. Rather plays havoc with my professional writing. ;)

Thanks, again!

~Silli

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Gwynnyd - 11 Oct 06 - 7:07 AM

Brava!  I don't manage to comment on every chapter, but I want to let you know that I am avidly reading along and enjoying this immensely. This is one of the best, if not the best, depiction of life for the regular Rangers of the North I have ever read.  Your Aragorn is not quite how I envision him, but I can definitely see him as someone who is capable of being a king when the need arises.  And your love interest is so very much a complete and real person that she comes alive.

Fantastic job!

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

Anoriath - 11 Oct 06 - 6:07 PM

... I want to let you know that I am avidly reading along and enjoying this immensely. This is one of the best, if not the best, depiction of life for the regular Rangers of the North I have ever read.

Hee! Thanks Gwynnyd!

Yes, that is rather the danger of fleshing out a character who is so well-loved, but is almost more of a symbol and a myth in the original story. I'm moving him more out of myth and trying to ground him in reality. (eek! You mean he's actually carrying a FUNCTIONAL sword and no longer qualifies as a warrior-monk?? Grin)

I must confess, the more I flesh Aragorn out - put him in situations in which we did not get the chance to see him in LOTR - the more my own view of him changes. I'm glad you're not finding the differences in our visions of him too disconcerting.

Good! Thanks! It's been very reassuring to hear things like that. I was terribly worried that I wouldn't be able to create an OFC who could stand up to interacting Aragorn's character and still capture the imagination and empathy of the reader.

Thanks again!

~Silli

Go to No Man's Child

No Man's Child

ratcreature - 01 Feb 11 - 2:56 PM

I enjoyed this a lot, even though it is unfinished and likely abandoned by now. (Not that I would mind miraculous updates years later...)

But as the WIP stands I still enjoyed the OFC, and seeing a version of how everyday life might have been against the backdrop of the increasingly dire situation before the ring war. The AU premise was also quite credible, that Aragorn might have bowed to the pressure to continue his line, even though he still loves Arwen.

Go to No Man's Child