Comments for: O, Cruel Fate

Talk to Greywing

Greywing - 16 Nov 06 - 4:14 PM

Thank you all for reading and commenting!

oshun: I'm afraid your dear elf will have to suffer a tiny bit more.

erunyauve: Not very creative, the Elves of the Falas.

G.A: thanks for reading and recommending! You're a dear.

IVIaedhros: Cheers to you too! Glad it amused you for a while.

Greywing - 06 Mar 07 - 7:03 AM

Thank you, Raksha and NiRi! I am genuinely pleased that it amused you, and that it didn't seem too Sueish (I hope).

Greywing

Jay of Lasgalen - 23 Apr 07 - 5:12 AM

I've only just found this story, but I love it!  'Girl falls into Middle Earth' tales are usually dreary and formulaic, but this is simply hilarious.  I loved Elrond on his high horse (quite literally!)  and Ellie's bewilderment at waking up in the wrong body.

I've decided not to read anything personal into this sentence: 'Heavens, who would have thought the mere sight of a good-looking fellow would cause a group of civilized women to behave like a pack of starving hyenas?'   Hmmm, who indeed??  ROTFLMAO

Jay

Greywing - 23 Apr 07 - 7:24 AM

Why thank you, Jay! I am overjoyed that you like it ;) This story is highly self-indulgent, so I'm glad it has some entertainment value!

And no, nothing personal in that line at all. Nope. Cool

Greywing

Tyleet - 10 Jul 08 - 1:26 AM

I just have to tell you. I generally hate OCs, I hate "girl travels into Middle Earth scenarios", and I SERIOUSLY LOVE THIS STORY. Like, really a lot. Thank you so much for sharing this! I can't wait for more. : )

lilyoftheval5 - 02 Sep 08 - 5:49 AM

I liked the story - selectively.
I think the explanation of how she ended up in Arda was one of the most plausible ever contrived. I found Ellie's mishaps fun, but I wish there was much more.
Why selectively? Because all the happenings with Valar and in Mandos I simply skipped. I felt that they are ruining the story for me. *shrugs*

Thank you, I hope you'll copntinue to write.

Raksha The Demon - 02 Mar 07 - 11:34 PM

Ch. 2: Various Discoveries

Ellie's reactions are very funny, and the writing, the wry asides, make the situation readable.

erunyauve - 18 Oct 06 - 11:35 AM

Ch. 3: Elrond, Elrond, Elrond and a Rude Shock

>>It was a botanist's brain, honed by years of memorizing obscenely long, complicated Latin names and well used to trapping and hoarding any helpless bit of information that so happened to drift by.

I'm quite enjoying this - the writing is clever and the characters are fun and original.

laureleaf - 18 Oct 06 - 2:53 PM

Ch. 3: Elrond, Elrond, Elrond and a Rude Shock

Well - this is definately the most intreaguing 'girl falls into Arda' plotline I've ever read! Usually I can't get myself past the first page, but this is quite funny thus far.  So, does this mean that Glorfindel is now in her body?

oshun - 18 Oct 06 - 3:29 PM

Ch. 3: Elrond, Elrond, Elrond and a Rude Shock

Greywing--This is some serious stuff you are writing here. Appreciate the hard canon research as well--purple arrow fletchings indeed! Great Círdan: "I have ships to build, new blueprints to review, papers to sign and teary farewells to organize..."

Raksha The Demon - 02 Mar 07 - 11:39 PM

Ch. 3: Elrond, Elrond, Elrond and a Rude Shock

Loved Neldor's jealousy of Elrond as the hot young celebrity doctor.  And the footnotes are great!

oshun - 14 Nov 06 - 11:41 PM

Ch. 4: Observations and Experiments

This is a wonderfully funny story. Poor Feanor though--he always gets a raw deal--but the indignity he suffers is this one takes the cake. I don't know whether to protest or laugh.

erunyauve - 14 Nov 06 - 11:46 AM

Ch. 5: Settling In

>>Ellie filled the basin and began to splash her face, noting with morbid fascination as she did so that the ornamentation on the basin matched that of the jug, which in turn matched perfectly the carvings on the washstand and the pillars of the room. Elves liked to make things in sets, maybe?

Obviously, there is a Bed, Bath & Beyond in Middle-earth.

>>Today would be another day of observation. Tomorrow, thought Neldor happily, rubbing his palms together in anticipation. Tomorrow would see the beginning of treatment.

Poor Neldor - I really think Ellie may have the better fate here.

Gandalfs apprentice - 14 Nov 06 - 12:03 PM

Ch. 5: Settling In

An elegant and hilarious story!

IVIaedhros - 14 Nov 06 - 8:05 PM

Ch. 5: Settling In

Haha, excellent humor! it's not enough that we have cosmic mistakes, Valar getting pissed, modern worman getting sent to Tolkien land, nooo, we have sex changes, forcible reincarnations of dead heroes, and possessed cats.  Brilliant!  I raise my Guinness to you.

erunyauve - 29 Dec 06 - 10:11 PM

Ch. 6: Wait and See

>>Then Random Newly-Re-embodied Elf #2 had somehow escaped from the laboratory and gone around shrieking about "cruel, cruel experiments" and "that insane Vala". Luckily, no-one had paid much attention, and Mandos was able to mumble something about his "traumatic death" and "not enough time spent in the Halls, sorry, will take him back now."

I'm starting to feel quite sorry for Random Newly-Re-embodied Elf #2.  Really, it might be interesting to re-embody Feanor as a spot of mold.

erunyauve - 17 Jan 07 - 11:33 AM

Ch. 7: Complications

>>some would say she probably had the personality of a vegetable

But not just any ordinary vegetable!  A rutabaga or artichoke, at least!

>>"No, no! Stop talking! Stop! Stop! I beg you, stop!"

You know, the Noldor would have saved themselves a great deal of trouble had they said this to Feanor a good Age and a half ago.

Greywing - 17 Jan 07 - 2:45 PM

Ch. 7: Complications

>>some would say she probably had the personality of a vegetable

But not just any ordinary vegetable!  A rutabaga or artichoke, at least!

I must say i am very impressed by your knowledge of vegetable personalities. Smile I was thinking more on the lines of a potato, but your suggestions will certainly suffice.

>>"No, no! Stop talking! Stop! Stop! I beg you, stop!"

I wholeheartedly agree. Then again they were quite enamoured of his voice, if I am not mistaken. And now you have given me a brand new idea! I thank you.

Thanks for reading this!

Nieriel Raina - 02 Mar 07 - 8:10 PM

Ch. 7: Complications

This is hysterical! I cannot wait to read more. Um...never mind.

Great job!

NiRi

erunyauve - 28 Feb 07 - 11:20 AM

Ch. 8: Of Plots and Prey

>>Fëanor, someone not supposed to be released from the Halls till the ending of the world, was currently re-embodied (well, sort of), and therefore eligible for release.

I can imagine that this would be like a judge explaining just how he happened to parole Charles Manson.

>>and berating himself for not having exercised since the end of the First Age

But to be fair, all that swimming had to be rather hard on a leisurely elf such as Neldor.

Greywing - 02 Mar 07 - 3:48 PM

Ch. 8: Of Plots and Prey

Dear erunyauve,

Firstly, thank you so much for your continued support!

If all goes well you will see Mandos behaving more like a judge in the future.Whether or not that is a good thing is an entire matter altogether...

"I have a wonderful picture in my head of the ellith pursuing Glorfindel like a rabid pack of Sues!"

Thank you. It was dedicated to the inner fangurl in all of us.Wink

erunyauve - 29 Mar 07 - 11:48 AM

Ch. 9: And It All Goes Downhill From Here

>>Cirdan furrowed his brow. "Why exactly do you want to know how a Balrog looks like anyway?"

>>Neldor pretended not to hear and scurried quickly away.

Definitely more sophisticated that braining Glorfindel with a club, but not much wiser.

::sits back to watch the chaos ensue::

Meril - 29 Mar 07 - 6:09 PM

Ch. 9: And It All Goes Downhill From Here

Ha ha ha! Greywing, this is very funny!

I love the different voices in this, particularly Neldor's (somewhat twisted one re: healing!), and the subtle hints that the elves in different regions don't quite see eye-to-eye.

"My crown-stealing uncle."  Oh, how I laughed at this one!

Keep it coming!

Allie

Shasta - 29 Mar 07 - 7:53 PM

Ch. 9: And It All Goes Downhill From Here

"...unless Morgoth's strategy involved incapacitating his enemies by making them howl with laughter."

Not a bad idea, really. Feanor could have also been the first elf to die of hyperventilation.

Greywing - 30 Mar 07 - 7:39 AM

Ch. 9: And It All Goes Downhill From Here

Dear Shasta, Meril and the ever-faithful erunyauve, thank you all for your comments! I am glad you liked this chapter.

::sits back to watch the chaos ensue::

There will be chaos indeed, I assure you.

Why, thank you! Yes, Neldor has a rather morbid interest in the... finer points of his profession.

Argh! Make the nuzgul go away! Shoo!

erunyauve - 19 Apr 07 - 11:29 AM

Ch. 10: Intimations of Flammability

>>He leant forward, peering into the pool. The Children dreamed of cows? Burning cows?

But I'm sure they're aesthetically-pleasing burning cows.

>>It was Neldor, holding a flaming brand.

I can't think of anyone less fit to be playing with fire.  Ellie, look out for your eyebrows!

oshun - 19 Apr 07 - 2:46 PM

Ch. 10: Intimations of Flammability

I agree--the title rocks! I have commented extensively on this in another venue, but you actually slipped a few things in since I last read it. I missed Neldor's latest case notes--chilling as usual. You are adding to the list of things I will never be able to write about seriously again. (Note to self: stay away from Balrogs.) I have a huge crush on Gil-Galad now also--he was cool before, but yours is to die for.

Greywing - 22 Apr 07 - 1:44 PM

Ch. 10: Intimations of Flammability

Erunyauve:

But I'm sure they're aesthetically-pleasing burning cows.

I am certain too. Aesthetically pleasing to the point of inaccuracy.

I agree. And it's not going to be just fire, too. Will Elrond stop him in time? Wink Thanks for commenting!

Oshun:

Oops.

That is praise indeed! Handsome, kingly, efficient, and fond of small dogs-- what's there not to like? Thank you :)