Comments for: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Feanor)

Talk to IgnobleBard

Crowdaughter - 08 Aug 07 - 5:03 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Hi! I can't believe I missed this one before! Great idea how the deal with being stuck there... :) I like!

IgnobleBard - 09 Aug 07 - 5:03 PM

Crowdaughter,

Thanks bunches! I'm glad you found it and like it. Smile  I have to give Jael credit for suggesting the ending. It really makes the story "pop". lol

oshun - 12 Aug 07 - 11:07 AM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Realized I have never commented on this. I laughed harder the second time I read it. I am sure this is because of the all the heavy thinking I have been doing about Feanor and sons. (Yeah, right.) Loved Melkor saying, "I can swim." Nice try big boy, but no cigar. Seems everyone underestimates Feanor. And, I like a little science in my fanfics. Nice theory.

IgnobleBard - 14 Aug 07 - 10:13 AM

Oshun,

I'm glad the story continues to amuse. Melkor is a bit of a blowhard, to be sure, but Feanor is just so darned.... smug. lol I hope all the heavy thinking you've been doing is translating into some stories. :-)

Mike

Alassante - 04 Mar 08 - 1:04 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

I know I've read this before somewhere but I don't know where. Wow!! This is probably one of the top three humor stories ever about the Silmarillion. This is right up there with Mouse's two stories about The Halls. I totally Heart this story! I can totally see Feanor and Melkor having this conversation.

IgnobleBard - 05 Mar 08 - 7:20 PM

Hi Alassante!

Are there a lot of humor stories about the Silmarillion? That can be an awful gloomy book. lol

Seriously though, I appreciate your comments, thanks so much! I've never read Mouse's stories but Greywing has some great humor stories too. If you haven't done so already you should check them out. Smile

Mike

Aiwendiel - 18 Apr 09 - 5:04 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Oh yeah... residing in a state where a recent governor was a professional wrestler, and the eternally undecided senate race sounds like this conversation...and the current governor sounds like Feanor, but isn't nearly as smart or interesting...I am so relieved to know how it all began. Thanks for explaining everything to me!

IgnobleBard - 18 Apr 09 - 9:05 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

You live in an interesting state, Aiwendiel. And know what they say, the more things change the more they stay the same. Grin

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Jael - 19 Apr 09 - 9:57 AM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Let me add to the chorus of praise here, Ignoble.  This story never fails to crack me up.

IgnobleBard - 19 Apr 09 - 3:51 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Thanks, Jael. As you know, I wrote this especially to crack you up. Grin I'm glad it continues to amuse.

Nieriel Raina - 19 Apr 09 - 9:52 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

I have not seen this before. How have I not seen this? This is freaking hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle, Ignoble!

IgnobleBard - 20 Apr 09 - 5:39 AM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

I dont know how you missed it, NiRi. It's in all the usual places, one of which you know quite well. It even won a MEFA this year. (not to brag or anything)  Wink

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found it and like it.

oshun - 28 Apr 09 - 2:19 PM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

You, rascal! You finally put this up for review. It's a classic humor piece and has a sneaky thoughtfulness behind it. I was reading your other comments and responses and laughing. Of course, The Silmarillion is funny--it's got that quality of "if you don't laugh, it's gonna make you cry" (looking for the lightning bolt from JRRT to knock me off my chair--actually I hope I have enugh street creds on my abject and slavish love for the Silm by now that I can make fun of it?).

Congrats! A worthy addition to the archive.

IgnobleBard - 29 Apr 09 - 10:40 AM

Ch. 1: The Unbearable Smugness of Being (Fëanor)

Thanks, Oshun! You know what I had in mind when I wrote this one. And it's gotten a very nice reception where I've posted. I think it's something everyone can relate to. I still haven't finished the Silmarillion but I'll try to remember it's supposed to be funny when I'm reading it. Wink

As always, I love your comments.

Olorimë - 21 May 10 - 9:45 PM