Comments for: Oathbreakers

Talk to Thundera Tiger

Oathbreakers

Elentarri - 19 Aug 07 - 11:38 PM

Hello!

You are back :-) Great story. I'm going to read it again. Please post more stuff.... If you can of course. Hope you are well?

Cheers

Tanya

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Linda Hoyland - 20 Aug 07 - 8:42 PM

An excellent and thought provoking story.You have made me see both Eowyn and the twins in a new light.

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Gandalfs apprentice - 17 Aug 07 - 10:55 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

An insightful and moving moment--you've captured the peredhil so well here, the pull of both the Elvish and Mannish nature. I only wish you had gone on to include a scene with Aragorn directly. Will there be more?

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Gwynnyd - 18 Aug 07 - 8:37 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

Gwynnyd bows down and worships at your feet.

Damn!  That's good!

Elladan frowned. "Would you rather we compel a vow that is not ours to condone or condemn? Would you rather we be oathkeepers, as were the sons of Fëanor?"

"I would rather this war were put behind us," Elrohir snapped. "I would rather be gone from this place. And I would rather you not compare our deeds to those of the kinslayers!"

Brilliant insights to these peredhel! Yes, I believe in these two.

Gwynnyd

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

oshun - 18 Aug 07 - 9:46 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

Interesting story, liked the idea of writing Elladan and Elrohir within canon. The tendency is to write them floating above and outside canon. I also liked the use of the dialogue straight from the book. It fit seamlessly into your story.

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

mistry89 - 18 Aug 07 - 1:40 PM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

This is so very very good - it was a turning point of the story, and with the need for action (of some sort) such an imperative, it is wonderful to look at some of the thoughts of those involved. The point about elvish memory and the legends of man is well-made - rather heart-breaking to see lessons left unlearned time and again, so when yet another pivotal situation presents itself, they are right to fear the outcome.

Sorry - I'll stop now! I just wanted to say how very much I enjoyed this.

Cheers :)

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Freyalyn - 20 Aug 07 - 1:40 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

Nice little gap filler there.  As Elladan thinks, a witness is always useful.

And yes, this has always bugged me from the earliest: Eowyn's betrayal of her task.  Lucky for her - and all Middle Earth - that she did.  But who looked after the Rohirrim in her absence?

Thank you.

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

erunyauve - 20 Aug 07 - 11:28 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

>>She saw the man as a doorway. An escape from her obligations, and as such, she loved him.

This is such an interesting interpretation of Eowyn.  I've never much liked Arwen - my sympathies have always been with Eowyn.  Nonetheless, there is an obvious difference in the love they have for Aragorn.  For Arwen, it requires a sacrifice and an irrevocable choice;  for Eowyn, Aragorn symbolises the opposite.

>>Yet what of the cost? For thousands of years, the oathbreakers have been cursed to walk as shades. To linger in twilight while all around them fades into naught."

>>"To suffer the fate of the elves," Elrohir whispered.

This exchange casts a slightly different light upon the twins.  Alone among Aragorn's companions who follow him on the Path of the Dead, Legolas is fascinated and not at all disturbed by the ghosts.  I'd always assumed that Elladan and Elrohir were more uneasy because of their mortal blood, but perhaps it's their *elven* blood - specifically, Noldorin rather than Sylvan blood - that is the cause.

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Lissa - 23 Aug 07 - 9:03 AM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

This is beautiful!

"If fortune is not kind, then none will look back at all," Elrohir answered, but there was resignation in his voice.

"Yet that, too, would be a kindness," Elladan said quietly, "for who would wish to endure such a fate?"

Oh yes, it must indeed have been difficult to find rest that night!!!

"I perceived their voices when we climbed the trail this evening, and treasonous words breed treasonous thoughts."

I never considered the impact of the Oathbreakers in the mountain on Eowyn's actions - what a wonderful idea.

And I just love your style!

Go to Oathbreakers

Oathbreakers

Cuinwen - 07 Aug 10 - 8:22 PM

Ch. 1: Oathbreakers

This is a gem of a story:  tightly written, good use of canon dialog, interesting twists.

Go to Oathbreakers