Comments for: Trading Pledges

Talk to Adaneth

Trading Pledges

Alassante - 30 Jun 08 - 11:00 AM

I wanted to leave a copy of my MEFA review with the story so here it is.

This is a very sweet story by Adaneth. I'm not a dwarf expert nor do I know alot about the early Third Age so it was nice to see a little snippet of what life might be like for the dwarves getting ready for the War of Dwarves and Orcs in Third Age 2792. Plus this is my first romantic story about a female dwarf! I enjoyed Adaneth's story and her characterizations were wonderful for a short fiction. The story about making the shirt and the specialness of the shirt plus her OFC's choice on who to make it for was really unique and I enjoyed it alot. The exploration of dwarf customs is new to me so I am not sure if this is based on canon or just Adaneth's own universe but I am interested to read more about it plus Adaneth's writing is so engaging that you could not help but be intrigued about what happened next for Aud, the female original character, as well as Trekk, the original male character. When the story ended I found myself wanting more so hopefully Adaneth has more on this couple. Plus I got a little bit of an education about dwarves, a race I have not read much about.

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adaneth - 08 Jul 08 - 9:18 AM

Thanks for commenting on Trading Pledges, Alassante!

The exploration of dwarf customs is new to me so I am not sure if this is based on canon or just Adaneth's own universe . . . .

My take on Dwarves is as close to canon as I can get it, but the problem is that Tolkien wrote much less about Dwarves than Elves or Hobbits.  There is wonderful stuff buried in the HoME volumes, but at some point you have to start making up things to fill in the gaps.  Especially when you write about dwarf-women.  Grin

Someday I will write other shorts about life among the Firebeards, but in the meantime, if you want to read about Auð's brother and sons--and more about Auð herself--you can find them in my Dúnhebaid Cycle: Rock and Hawk, Fair Folk and Foul, Of Like Passion, and the current WIP, "After Stormy Seas."

For those of you who are already following along, I have just updated Chapters 8-10 of "After Stormy Seas," and hope to have a new chapter to you soon.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adonnen Estenniel - 17 Mar 11 - 8:08 AM

I quite enjoyed this. In this piece you've managed to show a more intimate side of one of Tolkien's less explored races, and you managed it well. The writing itself was superb, the content was unique and interesting, and on the whole the piece had a certain depth to it that was wonderful.

Lovely piece.

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adaneth - 17 Mar 11 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for such a complimentary comment, Adonnen!  I've put in a lot of work, these last few years, trying to get Dwarves to open up a little.  This was the first real crack in the armor, and I'm very pleased by how well it's holding up as my Dûnhebaid Cycle continues to develop.

My new WIP, the sixth story in the Cycle, will pry open the lid on a few more dwarven boxes, but I need to get a little further along before I start posting chapters.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Elrûn - 13 Nov 07 - 1:10 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

Dear Adaneth,

spells and silken armour, protection given only once - here's a piece a dwarven magic that's to my liking. Alas, it did not protect Thekk from the raugs!

A worthy glimpse at the past - although I still have difficulties with those bearded dwarf-ladies!

Elrûn

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Imhiriel - 25 Nov 07 - 5:30 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

I very much enjoyed this slice of Auð's life, seen through her eyes and not always fully explained, but giving depth and layers to her story, together with the clear descriptions of the bustle of preparing for war, and her work as a seamstress.

I like the obviously deep bond between brother and sister. The mother was also a very interesting character.

And some things really seem to be universal: a man courting his his best friend's sister always seeming to be somewhat awkward; the wish for love and marriage, for a deep bond before setting out to war, so as to have something hopeful and joyful to sustain the warriors in grim times.

And, of course, the most important aspect: it was very, very romantic! I'm glad you gave us this chance to see the both of them alive and in love.

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adaneth - 27 Nov 07 - 4:34 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

Thank you for the comments, Elrûn and Imhiriel!  Yes, the more I learn about Thekk from the characters who knew him, the sorrier I am that he died so soon.  (No, Elrûn; he wasn't wearing the shirt, because he was only going prospecting, not to war.)  I suspect that there will be other short "prequel" pieces like this, as the Muse strikes.

It's fun trying to work out what goes on in those deep dwarf-halls, where so few other people ever go.

Now, back to Saelon and the Ranger . . . .  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

DKP - 19 Jan 08 - 6:52 PM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

I love the cultural depths you've worked into this story, of (once again) Dwarven society in general and particularly of Dwarven women and courtship rituals. There are enough similarities with human romance to strike a sympathetic spark, but it's still very Dwarvish in flavor.

The entire piece is wonderful, leading delightfully through Auð's exploration of her heart and how/why she makes her final decision. I especially adore the description of the women's hearts burning as hotly as those of their men; and of how women have their own secret skills and arts, and that they do not automatically reveal them to the next generation but wait for worthiness in the would-be recipient.

Finally, I loved Auð's thoughts during the kiss at the end! Just perfect, and now I really miss Thekk, too.

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adaneth - 22 Jan 08 - 10:17 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

Hello, DKP--good to hear from you again!

I'm glad you enjoyed this glimpse into the backstory of my Dúnhebaid Cycle.  Friend and father, brother and husband, Thekk was important to many of my Dwarvish characters, and I thought people might like to meet him properly.

I see you have asked some questions about this piece over in my discussions, so let me get to them.

Thanks for the comment!

Adaneth

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Larner - 15 Oct 08 - 10:09 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

Aha!  How I like seeing the distaff side of life within the mountains, and how pledges are made and shared.  And the planned battle-sark--how perfect!

Thanks so for this!

Go to Trading Pledges

Trading Pledges

Adaneth - 08 Nov 08 - 10:07 AM

Ch. 1: Trading Pledges

Thanks so for this!

I haven't been ignoring you, Larner--I was off traipsing in the Wild again, and only found your comment on "Trading Pledges" when I returned.  Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed my attempt to capture the rare and elusive dwarf-woman in her natural habitat.

Those of you who have been following her later adventures, I assure you that that pesky ð has been disrupting my typing a lot, lately.  Wink

Cheers--