Comments for: The Kindness of Strangers

Talk to Aiwendiel

The Kindness of Strangers

MJ - 10 Mar 09 - 8:02 PM

I'm delighted to see this story back, Aiwendiel -- and completed!  You already know that I'm a sucker for a good Gandalf story; they're so few and far between, and an exceptionally well-written one such as this is a rare jewel indeed.  As we have ravens in plenty where I live, I found your use of them quite interesting -- a strange sort of Greek chorus, observing and commenting upon the more familiar action, and providing a most unusual point of view.  I also applaude the way you handled what could have been some very gruesome and grisley moments, presenting enough to convey the intensity and horror without focusing overlong on the details.  The scene atop Zirak-zigil was both disturbing and touching; I'm not sure if I want to know whether or not the ravens actually came back to... well, you know.  Yet I can easily see Gandalf giving such permission, knowing that he was dying.  What a unique way of looking at this particular event!  All in all, an excellent job!

MJ

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Aiwendiel - 13 Mar 09 - 5:19 AM

Thanks much, MJ, I am pleased it is now available on the reviewed list. I hope others find my tale as enjoyable and disturbing (in a good way) as you did. Your comments are greatly appreciated. A

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

SurgicalSteel - 18 Mar 09 - 7:49 AM

This was an enjoyable gapfiller - I especially enjoyed the POV of the ravens. The fact that Gandalf has to figure out a way to get water, at least (and how he does it) coupled with his fear of getting food poisoning from eating rotten meat - those led sort of a gritty realism to the story that's not often seen. I liked this very much!

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Aiwendiel - 18 Mar 09 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, SurgicalSteel (what an interesting handle, by the way..hmm, I wonder what you do for a living! Wink)

I enjoyed imagining the consequences of being trapped on the top of that tower, so underplayed in the original. Either there was room service, or...well, you know what I concluded! It was great fun inhabiting a raven's personality, too. SO glad you liked it!

Aiwendiel

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Linquenóllókë - 03 Sep 09 - 7:12 PM

This is incredible.  I love the ravens and their POV on the events of the story and on human nature.  It's great how you've made them intelligent and sympathetic without ever forgetting their animal nature:  Coräc hoping to find a drowned child to feed on and Hrafn speculating on whether it's appropriate to eat the body of a friend-of-a-relation.  Very interesting, and the matter-of-fact way that the ravens think about such things makes them seem very real.

It's interesting to see Saruman struggling with guilt over what he's done.  I imagine that the very discovery that a member of his own order can be harmed like that would be frightening enough on its own.  I really felt his despair when he found that Gandalf had escaped just a moment to soon (for him, anyway).

I really can't tell you how much I enjoyed this.  The fandom needs more good Wizard-fic!

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Aiwendiel - 07 Sep 09 - 6:44 AM

Dear Linquenolloke, I am very honored by your comments, and glad that you enjoyed the tale. It was fun and interesting to inhabit the ravens' POV, and gave me some freedom to speculate on the nature of humanity... (or wizard-ness, as the case may be...) Thank you so much for your comments. Aiwendiel

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Huinárë - 29 May 11 - 2:55 PM

This story makes me happy on many counts.  I love the incorporation and characterization of the ravens.  Your avian knowledge really shines through in this story: it's awesome when people incorporate their passions/geekiness into their work.  Finally, the world doesn't have enough well-rounded portrayals of Saruman, so thanks for that (I'd have liked to hear a bit more from him at the end).  Cheers!  _Huin

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Aiwendiel - 29 May 11 - 5:53 PM

Thanks, Huin, your comments are very welcome and appreciated. I am a total bird geek and happen to love ravens (obviously), and I do like to look at a story from the POV of someone/something out of the main action. Interesting challenge -- maybe I'll have to add a chapter with a few words from Saruman as the Fellowship passes back thru Orthanc... or maybe a new story.... thanks for the promt!

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

maeglin - 30 May 11 - 6:23 PM

This is such an interesting tale, Aiwendiel!  One of the best long Saruman stories out there.  And a good gap-fill of one of Tolkien's more confusing gaps; how would one "take" a Wizard, indeed?

I like your presentation of Saruman here; he has fallen into treachery, but hasn't fallen nearly as far as he will later on.

It's thought-provoking too, and highlights some remaining gaps in the canon.  What of Narya?  A Great Ring actually within Saruman's grasp, and apparently he didn't even attempt to take it.  And just how was Saruman ensnared so easily by the Palantir, when Denethor was not?

Great story!

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Aiwendiel - 30 May 11 - 8:03 PM

Wow, thank you, Maeglin, for the rich comments. I admit I had to just follow the Professor's lead on the thorny Narya issue. Why didn't Saruman sense it, and why didn't Gandalf use it more effectively? I postulate in places in A Bit of Rope that only another bearer of a Great Ring can really sense/see the presence of one in another's possession, so that helps with issue 1, and maybe Gandalf was just too hopeful that he could convince Saruman... but that leaves the question of how in the world did he hide it from Muzluk et al... Ah well, maybe some gaps aren't meant to be filled... And as for the Palantir... I am hatching another story that might weave together some loose threads about Saruman... AFTER I finish what I've already started, that is... Thanks again.

Go to The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Glîrnardir - 13 Aug 11 - 3:02 AM

It's official: I want the Ravens of the Isen Clan in "A Bit of Rope"! Such wonderful characters. So different, so peculiar, so... beastial. I think this story is now in my Tolkien's Canon. Very, very, very well-conceived. Congratulations!
(and please... THE RAVENS INTO "A BIT OF ROPE!!!!)

Go to The Kindness of Strangers