Comments for: In Empty Lands

Talk to Larner

Freyalyn - 30 Oct 08 - 3:21 AM

Ch. 3: Be By Him

Wonderful!  Thank you.

I particulary liked the way you moved from Boromir looking at the swanboat bedhead to his memory of Faramir, and the conversation between them was perfect.  Your dialogue is excellently written, very much in Tolkien's own style - so many authors fall into the trap of 'modern' speech patterns, or worse, into 'cod' archaicisms.

And his little thought at the end...

Larner - 10 Nov 08 - 2:36 AM

Ch. 3: Be By Him

I thank you, Freyalyn.  That headboard should have brought thoughts of home and Dol Amroth and his brother....  And i do try to keep each people's speech appropriate to that people and Tolkien's own usages when possible.  And I'm glad the argument and discussion apparently feels right to you.  Raksha did ask for an angry Faramir, after all, and this was what came of that request!

Rani - 27 Jun 09 - 9:54 PM

Ch. 4: Well Met by Moonlight

I always wondered what it would be like for Aragorn to meet Boromir after most likely knowing him as a baby. I love how the conversation unfolds between the two of them as the cautiously scope each other out then slowly begin to open up to one another. Well done Larner!

Larner - 29 Jun 09 - 2:40 PM

Ch. 4: Well Met by Moonlight

I am so glad you like the idea of Aragorn remembering the child Boromir once was, Rani.  It must be a bit of a shock to see him now a man grown and a warrior such as he is.

And I suspect both of them would be most careful in choosing words at this point.  Aragorn must be reassured he is not facing one who thinks of himself as his father's image, I'd think.

Thanks again!

Freyalyn - 17 Nov 08 - 3:18 AM

Ch. 6: Folk out of Legend

Poor Boromir will be quite disconcerted to see so many figures out of legend appear before him!  I am enjoying this, and especiallly anticipating his realisation of Glorfindel.

Larner - 17 Nov 08 - 8:19 AM

Ch. 6: Folk out of Legend

I'm sure that just seeing there are such things as Dwarves and Halflings in the world must have been a bit of a shock to him!  Now, to actually meet them--and then travel with them!  Heh!

Thanks so for the feedback, Freyalyn.

Freyalyn - 21 Jan 09 - 1:21 AM

Ch. 9: On Plans for Weapons

Ooh, foreboding.  Poor Boromir, he really doesn't have a clue what he's ended up in.  If he'd paid attention to Mithrandir when he was a child, instead of leaving little brother to it, he'd be in a much better situation. And the little hint of surprised arrogance, that Elrond might have a better Sindarin than his own people!

I like the idea of blood magic being involved in the reforging, and the dwarves' awe of Telchar's ancient work.  I have cast swords in bronze (http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/Bronze-Sword-Festival.htm) but not worked with iron or steel, so the details you dropped in were fascinating. And all dwarven/elven tension completely forgotten in their common delight in skill and craft.

You'll have to write some stories about Dale now....  (Or the twins....)

Larner - 21 Jan 09 - 9:57 AM

Ch. 9: On Plans for Weapons

We know that from the moment Boromir realized that Isildur's Bane was the Ring he saw it as THE weapon. so even if the Ring was not yet targeting him he was already primed to want it as the weapon to use in fighting for his land.

Have never done anything in metal, but we did have an antique store where we sold, among other things, swords from all over the world as part of our merchandise.  We had two Dayak headhunters swords, one from Borneo and one from the Phillipines, a headsman's sword from China, a sixteenth-century French hunting sword that was destroyed by "friends" of the one who bought it (I still weep when I remember how the horn handle had been damaged), and a number of Masonic and military dress sabres from all over the world, mostly nineteenth and twentieth century.  We even had one true samurai sword, and learned some about the making of such things.

And in this case, I believe that Elrond would want to consult with what Dwarves he could find who were interested, as he was one who could, due to his nature as Peredhil, look beyond one culture to find the good in all.  If Telchar originally forged Narsil, then I would think his descendants would have a stake in helping see it reforged.

Blood magic was likely practiced by a number of peoples, although as the descendant of the Faithful of Numenor and as one who'd undoubtedly seen the effects of Sauron's altars to himself, I suspect Aragorn would have been mostly repulsed by the thought of it.

Thanks so for the comments--I do appreciate them.

Freyalyn - 26 May 09 - 12:21 AM

Ch. 12: A Conversation in the Dark

Thoughful as ever.  Opening new waysof thinking of the Nine Walkers.  Poor Boromir - he learned so much, and grew so much in wisdom and breadth of mind, and never came back to Gondor.

F

Larner - 01 Jun 09 - 9:53 PM

Ch. 12: A Conversation in the Dark

Boromir did have a good deal to learn, and as much about himself, I think, as about the nature of the Ring and his companions.

I have often grieved he did not return home, but am glad he left Faramir as Aragorn's Steward.

Thanks so, Freyalyn!

Freyalyn - 13 Oct 09 - 1:34 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Mirkwood

Lovely little story, as I would expect.  Any reason why you've made Bill a skewbald?  'Fain' not 'fane' in your usage I think.

Poor Boromir, he really was scuppered from the start, wasn't he? Even in Rivendell the ring's picked him out as the weak point.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:23 AM

Ch. 15: The Prince of Mirkwood

I chose brown and white in response to the movies, I think, and thanks so for the corrections.  Now and then homonyms manage to catch me in spite of myself, I find; and I can recite off the color schemes of pomeranians far mre easily than those of horses or ponies, I suspect!  Corrections have been made.

As for Boromir--I doubt he needed much of the Ring's influence to imagine himself the hero of Gondor.  This has been in him from the beginning, I fear.

Freyalyn - 29 Apr 10 - 2:13 AM

Ch. 16: On Swords and Swordsmanship

Both depth and width to this story.  And I was with Boromir with the neck prickle thing... it's one thing talking to Glorfindel, all real and there; quite another when you realise how old he is and what he's done in that time.  And your hobbits are beautifully characterised, as usual.  Thank you.

Freyalyn - 07 May 10 - 12:36 PM

Ch. 17: "Trust in Their Friendship"

Nice little gap filler, an extra layer of it seen through Elrond's eyes, and I very distinctly heard ominous music as we shifted to Boromir's viewpoint.  I love your hobbits (as I've said before...) and the interaction, even shown like this at a distance and with no dialogue, is lovely.

Aiwendiel - 11 May 10 - 8:53 PM

Ch. 17: "Trust in Their Friendship"

Oh, this is beautiful. It is especially touching, seeing it through Elrond's eyes, and Boromir's lonely ones. Makes me wish to hear the thoughts of Arwen, as well. I suspect she has some interesting feelings. Thanks! Aiwendiel

Linaewen - 09 Jun 10 - 6:46 AM

Ch. 18: An Encounter with the Ringbearer

What an amazing chapter!  Thank you so much for making this a dedication to my birthday -- it's just what I was asking for.  Boromir is caught between two cultures here, and working at understanding both -- managing it pretty well on one hand, and then again, not really.

I love that he understands Elvish enough to be able to interpret for Frodo -- makes sense!  And I love the fact that Frodo understands why Boromir might hesitate to give reign to Aragorn -- because of the Sackville-Bagginses, of all people!  Grin

I wish Boromir would actually take to heart the words that both Frodo and Arwen shared with him about the Ring, though!  But I've always wondered whether such advice, coming from those not of his race and experience would really ever have any final sway on his decisions?

I don't know why I have fallen behind in following this tale, it is excellent!  I shall start following it again immediately!

Thanks so much -- Lin

Freyalyn - 10 Jun 10 - 1:21 AM

Ch. 18: An Encounter with the Ringbearer

Oh, I wonder too..... (not).

No, Arwen will fear much less for Aragorn, for she sees straight into his clarity.  But poor Boromir, raised to believe he is the best of the best, unable to do wrong, safe in his own superiority...

I doubt Uncle Paladin truly appreciates just how much correspondence has gone on historically between the Great Smial and Rivendell, actually." Love these little details you throw in, references to others of your tales, or to be embroidered on later.

Thank you.

Ailiniel - 10 Jun 10 - 8:06 AM

Ch. 18: An Encounter with the Ringbearer

What a graceful and ethereal side of Frodo!A nice glance to his past and how wonderfully he gives advice -even though not asked-to Boromir through it.

Also, one of my favourite Arwens so far!Straight-forward words,wisdom, which show that after all,if there were some people in Middle-Earth with knowledge of the Rings,Arwen,grown up by two Ringbearers must have been among them...

And adove all,an Arwen that is not just a lovesick woman,a loyal wife,daughter or devoted mother,but a figure of hidden strength,as she should be,without loosing her lovelingness for a single second.

Freyalyn - 14 Jun 10 - 1:04 AM

Ch. 19: A Warriors' Dance

I can see this so clearly in my mind as you described it... the dancers, the watchers, the singer.  Ta ever so.

Freyalyn - 16 Nov 10 - 3:14 AM

Ch. 20: Return of the Scouts

Nothing will put Pippin off his jock, will it.  Nice characterisation of everybody here.  And the little conversation about weapons and supplies is interesting.

Aiwendiel - 09 Aug 13 - 5:32 PM

Ch. 24: The Battle of the First Snowfall

Wonderful to see updates and even better, to discover several chapters at once!

I enjoy seeing this playful side of Frodo, and the scenes of "battle" are very well done! Glad that Aragorn played along, too!

Aiwendiel - 09 Aug 13 - 5:35 PM

Ch. 25: Final Gathering

Great scene of growing awareness for Boromir, and growing kinship. Alas that it ended as it did for the Steward's Heir...