Comments for: Hand to Hand

Talk to Adaneth

littlehobbitlost - 25 Jan 09 - 3:37 AM

Adaneth,

I've commented before on your stories but I feel I have to comment again. They are amazing, truly. I'm from the West coast of Scotland though now live in NE England. I am a geologist so I've spent my fair share of nights and days crossing wild and wet lands yet I could never write as you do of such things.

You have a real talent and I love how much of my language and old words I find in your writings. And Burns' Day approaches too...

Please keep it up!

Adaneth - 27 Jan 09 - 4:27 AM

Thank you for those kind words about my landscapes, Littlehobbitlost and Freyalyn.  That means a great deal to me.  I was often blue or worked to distraction while in Britain, but the varied beauty of the place was always a joy.

I'm glad you're enjoying my stories so much.  Don't worry, more is coming!

Adaneth - 08 Mar 10 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for your patience as well as your comments, Elrûn--these latest as well as the ones back in December.  (Belated thanks to Tindome and Mffantasia for their kind words as well.)

I know you are probably wondering how Saelon and Dírmaen are doing, so I'll catch you up with them this Friday.

Orofyn - 22 Aug 10 - 3:28 PM

Adaneth,

Long time reader, first time poster. Just have to say, love the stories, hoping for more soon!

Orofyn

Adaneth - 26 Aug 10 - 5:12 AM

Thank you for the note, Orofyn!  It's so gratifying to tempt out those who usually lurk.  Smile

I hope there will be more to "Hand to Hand" soon, too--first my Muse demanded a vacation, and now I'm trying to get the Dwarves back together for the next chapter.  They're not good at sitting around, twiddling their thumbs and waiting for something to do.

I have hopes of progress soon, but will make no promises I cannot keep.  Apologies to all my readers left in suspense.

mffantasia - 01 Dec 08 - 11:14 AM

Ch. 1: Homecoming

Adaneth,

I'm so glad that you are posting again, I've missed your stories. This review is short, because I'm returning form vacation and have a lot of things to do, plus couldn't really read the chapter that well.

I'm happy that you are writing about Dirmaen and his love, he is one of my favorites, and it seems to me that the elves are getting a better treatment than in your previous stories, they were not that nice folks before, although I did like your tiwns, Elrohir better, but I guess that the closer elves to humans in the whole middle earth, sothey are different than the rest.

Anyway, know that I enjoy your stories and I'll be waiting for more, no doubt!

Thanks,

Fantasia

DKP - 01 Dec 08 - 11:30 PM

Ch. 1: Homecoming

I'm so very glad that your muse has been kind, Adaneth! It's such a delight to walk with your wonderful characters again.

Excellent beginning; I love the ship and the assurance it represents, Hanadan and his muddled counting (Was Cairrâd speaking of Elendil?), and the welcome partly spent keeping Saelon out of the caves. Hmm, if Rian has come into her own as temporary Lady of the settlement, I hope there will not be another hearth war. *g* Saelon is as marvelous as always!

Thanks for sharing another treasure with us!

Elrûn - 04 Dec 08 - 7:47 AM

Ch. 1: Homecoming

Adaneth,

It is good to see Saelon back on mortal shores - and yet, so much remains to be settled. Dírmaen reduced to a horse groom? I certainly hope this is not permanent. And then, I am curious to find out about what lies in store for Saelon... Are her suspicions justified?

Adaneth - 12 Dec 08 - 7:10 AM

Ch. 1: Homecoming

Thank you for your comments, Elrûn, DKP, and mffantasia--I'm glad I didn't have to leave you in suspense for too long.

Dírmaen a mere horse-groom?  Hm, don't think so.  Check out the next chapter, Elrûn, which I've just posted, and see how things are developing on that front.

I like to think that some of my Elves are nice people, mffantasia!  But they are people, so it depends on whether you get on their good side or their bad side.  Wink  Trespassing makes a bad first impression on the neighbors, but time will tell whether Saelon can make up for that.

No, it's not Elendil, DKP--keep going.  Smile  (When you run through the list of the Chieftains and the Kings of Arthedain and Arnor, Unfinished Tales has the Numenorean king-list.)

DKP - 12 Dec 08 - 11:07 AM

Ch. 2: Leavetaking

As painful as this chapter is for me, all I can say is: Good for Dírmaen. Excellent job on the alternating PoVs, showing much misunderstanding between the two - largely bred by... a sort of lack of self-esteem where the other is concerned, is the best way I can think of to express it.

Practical Saelon, back to business as usual. Is that repressed feeling, or true lack of it? I suppose only time will tell... :)

Thanks for a wonderful - if melancholy - addition to the story, Adaneth!

mffantasia - 12 Dec 08 - 12:35 PM

Ch. 2: Leavetaking

I don't know why, but this chapter really made me cry...I'm hopeless romantic and the sense of loss of Dirmaen's thoughts made me feel sad for him, I really loved the way that you wrote his thoughts, how he see her and how he didn't want to rule her, only share and protect...ironic that in his mind, he compares himself with a horse, one less in her stables and Saelon is thinking to pay for his job with horses...I suppose that this is the end of Dirmaen and Saelon romance, he will have to treasure the few happiness moments to the end of his life...To see him leaving, almost in secrecy to wherever the Chieftain send him break my heart, make me think how many people miss their chance for happiness because the circumstances, because despite all, I understand why this match is not possible...Unless Saelon delivers the horses herself and we have a second opportunity, I doubt it....and I know that she is a practical woman, but does she have to be that cold?

I'll be waiting more chapters, but it will be sad not to have Dirmaen around, I for sure will miss him...
Thanks,

Fantasia

Elrûn - 15 Dec 08 - 1:59 AM

Ch. 2: Leavetaking

Adaneth,

Well, while I was not looking for a sappy love story, this new chapter left me devastated. I understand that people used to marry for other reasons than loving each other. Yet why then is Dírmaen so starry-eyed? My heart goes out to him. Other than that, your narrative style is as superb as ever!

Adaneth - 24 Dec 08 - 7:58 AM

Ch. 2: Leavetaking

*pats shoulder*  There, there, Elrûn--and you, too, Fantasia.  Be strong.

Is that repressed feeling, or true lack of it? I suppose only time will tell...

I really shouldn't say, DKP, should I?

The best of the holiday season to one and all!

DKP - 24 Dec 08 - 9:16 AM

Ch. 3: Better Acquaintance

Hello, Adaneth,

Thank you for the Yule present! Wonderfully and vividly written, as always. The PoV alone is a gift in itself - I do love this character and her view of things: the outside world, her observations concerning Saelon and other Men, her Dwarven menfolk, the conditions at Gunduzahar. Particularly the flavor of her observations associated with these:

She gave the Man credit for having sense enough to retreat when outmatched.

Let them decide where their fortunes were best served and be satisfied there!

But it seemed an advantageous kind of madness. Hee! I couldn't agree more, of course, and love how Auð phrased this.

Awesome interaction at the end. I hope to see much, much more of these two together.

Adaneth - 03 Jan 09 - 10:09 AM

Ch. 3: Better Acquaintance

Glad you enjoyed the trip to the delf, DKP--it was pointed out to me that the last story was rather light on Dwarves, so I will have to make amends.

I hope to see much, much more of these two together.

Me, too!  I'm just trying to figure out how to manage it.

Now, for those of you who prefer Dúnedain, there's a hearty helping of them in the newly posted chapter.

DKP - 03 Jan 09 - 2:29 PM

Ch. 4: Gracious Lord

So, so nice to see Dírmaen - and the Chieftain's guests! Such perfect words: graceful ambiguity.

Wonderful descriptions and details as always, from the practical plausibility of the Dúnedain arrangements (I can certainly go along with your author's notes, BTW, and love the RL historical parallel you pointed out), to the heir (I suspected he was someone out of the ordinary from the first, and love the reference to Elvish fostering influences and how Arador is expected to do the more menial tasks for elder Rangers), to the whole debriefing and conversation surrounding Saelon (please, someone - name at least one of those Elves!). Dírmaen's attitude towards women - or at least Saelon in particular - seems more and more atypical, making me all the more eager to meet those who influenced his maturing...

Great ending. Argonui is a perceptive and gracious lord, indeed, and I am happy that fate's fickle favor (or authorial intent, as the case may be *g*) is finally granting Dírmaen a much-needed respite. I too think that this is exactly what is needed, circling around in a lovely way to your intro quote. Although I seem to recall references to several concerned females where he is going - he may find a great many more people thinking that he needs "feeding up"!

Terrific story, and I'm going to have a terrible time waiting for the continuation to find out where you are taking us next!

Adaneth - 05 Jan 09 - 6:23 AM

Ch. 4: Gracious Lord

Grin  I will endeavor to give satisfaction.

You know how to make a writer feel good, don't you?  But I wouldn't want to run ahead of my Muse again, and strand you all for a month or more . . . .

Thank you for the kind comments on my prose!

Elrûn - 08 Jan 09 - 8:57 AM

Ch. 4: Gracious Lord

Adaneth,

Finally I found the time two read your latest two installments. The third chapter is simply fabulous, I very much enjoyed seeing Saelon from Auð's perspective. The fourth chapter lets me sink into despair again, for Dírmaen's sake. "The silence was a thing, like the blackness between the roof-beams." Black despair indeed. This ranger's pain is almost too much to be borne... Can you give him no hope at all?

Adaneth - 08 Jan 09 - 9:48 AM

Ch. 4: Gracious Lord

The fourth chapter lets me sink into despair again . . . .

Oh, Elrûn!  I thought you would be happy to see Dírmaen again.  *sad face*  But I'm glad you enjoyed Saelon's visit with Auð.

DKP - 12 Jan 09 - 11:55 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

I had a good laugh after finishing the chapter when I reread your title and intro quote - you do such a great job on those!

Superb descriptions of the ancestral mansion, and thank you for the link to the real mountain on which it's based - spectacular. I love how Veylin's attachment to his new delf comes through as he looks on Sulûnduban.

Your Dwarves and Dwarven society are outstanding, as always. Your impeccable depth of research and world-building shine out in this chapter, with all the incredible details unfolding so naturally through the equally impeccable prose.

Bless Veylin! I adore him anyway, and really feel for him in this chapter. "You can choose your friends, but..." No wonder he enjoys Saelon's straightforward honesty! I also laughed at his reflections on Gwinnor (That he could not be bothered to do so was one more reason why he did not deserve its treasures. Excellent reasoning, IMHO. *g*)

It's easy to reflect on the petty and not-so-petty wranglings going on in here and weigh them against the growing Shadow, and see connections between the influence of Evil and a race's diminishing. Lof perhaps has much of the right of it, there.

Freyalyn - 13 Jan 09 - 12:31 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

"Beardfoot" is inspired.  And your detailing and dialogue is as excellent as every.

Thank you for continuing this wonderful story.

Elrûn - 13 Jan 09 - 1:40 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Adaneth,

I can only agree with DKP: the one thing that comes to my mind when I read your stories is a feeling of depth. This is true of the latest chapter - but also of the grave way in which you portray the rangers' lot. Thank you for your inspired writing!

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:02 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

"Beardfoot" is inspired.

Thank you, Freyalyn!  It's one of those words that just "happened," and I keep thinking that maybe Tolkien used it somewhere, so I'm leery of taking credit for it.  Grin

Glad you're enjoying the story!

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:05 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Well, it's difficult for Dwarves to reach great heights, so they go the other way.  Wink

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:52 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Bless Veylin! I adore him anyway, and really feel for him in this chapter.

Oh, he puts up a good front, and you'd think he had the world by the tail, but he's got his problems, too.  Dwarves grumble about the little things, but they don't want you to know about the serious ones.

Freyalyn - 26 Jan 09 - 2:06 AM

Ch. 6: Persuasion

You describe this so perfectly!  I know the landscape of North Yorkshire well, and you have it just right.

And I great admire the patience of Dirmaen's mother...

Elrûn - 27 Jan 09 - 4:37 AM

Ch. 6: Persuasion

Adaneth,

"...it is not meant--it is not fit--it is not possible that it should be so."

Or is it? This new chapter left me as confused as Dírmaen. At least I can pity both him and Mereth now. It reminds me of one Heine's poems:

It is an old story

And yet it is always new;

And he who finds himself in it

Finds his heart broken in two

mffantasia - 27 Jan 09 - 9:07 AM

Ch. 6: Persuasion

Hi,

Sorry, I haven't review for a long time, Rl has taken over me and I have not time at all. I have read the last two chapters and I'm so glad to see Dirmaen again, I still have hopes for him, funny, his story has become my main focus. The landscape that you describe is a little depressing; I'm so used to tropical rainforest (in my childhood) and now to the semi-dessert landscape of southern California that it is hard to me to figure out how melancholic you can feel form observing the landscape.Anyway, glad that you are updating this wonderful story, I'm reading and can't wait for more, sorry that I can review often or have an interesting review, but know that I appreciate your job and love it.

Thanks, Fantasia

Adaneth - 31 Jan 09 - 8:33 AM

Ch. 6: Persuasion

No need to apologize, Fantasia, I certainly know what that's like!

The British landscape can sometimes be very melancholy, particularly in winter--but then the sun breaks through the clouds and the colors can be amazing, the more so for how dull it was before.

Yes, Dírmaen is taking over this story a bit, isn't he?  But it doesn't seem to be making Elrûn very happy.

This new chapter left me as confused as Dírmaen.

He is very much adrift at this point.  As a Ranger, he is used to always having something that needs doing.  But he just can't settle to this finding a wife gig . . . .

Time will tell, I'm sure.  Wink

Thank you all for reading!

Elrûn - 10 Feb 09 - 4:30 AM

Ch. 7: Interior Designs

Adaneth,

thank you for this new chapter! It sheds light on some intricacies of dwarven life - and yet much more remains to be explained and written about...

Adaneth - 13 Feb 09 - 12:30 PM

Ch. 7: Interior Designs

--and yet much more remains to be explained and written about...

Indeed, Elrûn!  And so the story continues, with a new chapter just posted.

Thank you for your comments!

mffantasia - 16 Feb 09 - 9:53 AM

Ch. 8: Wolf's-Head

Hi,

Great! Another chapter and with a promise of more action...I'm so glad to see Dirmaen and he seems more recover and sure of himself. the hunt scene was very good. So he is a son of a Lord but not the heir...I can wait to see the what is need and I'm ready for see theRangers hunting outlaw..

The prevoius chapetr was very interesting too, I liked to know about the dwarves and specially about the female population, we know so little about them.

Thanks and waiting for more...I'm very busy but I always read your stories.

Fantasia

Elrûn - 19 Feb 09 - 3:09 AM

Ch. 8: Wolf's-Head

Adaneth,

It is good to see Dírmaen back in the fray. Well can I understand the fear he feels. It would be tragic indeed, if woe befell Saelon's people right after he left them to their own devices... I hope his concerns are proved wrong, or better still that he may prove his prowess in the chapters to come...

DKP - 22 Feb 09 - 10:36 PM

Ch. 8: Wolf's-Head

I've been flooded and drowned by RL (fortunately not literally) and so have been terrible about properly reviewing your last few wonderful chapters. Suffice to say, they are intriguing and delightful, with all your usual command of prose and lovely details and turns of phrase and world-building, and the characters I dearly love.

And a mighty cliffhanger...

I hope you relieve your poor readers soon. I read "Wolf's-head" a week ago and my mind has been turning over possible scenarios since, with the same panicky feeling as Dírmaen!

Adaneth - 27 Feb 09 - 11:52 AM

Ch. 8: Wolf's-Head

I've been flooded and drowned by RL . . . .

Want to share a life ring?  Smile

Apologies, Fantasia and Elrûn and DKP, for not replying sooner, but it's been a struggle to keep my head above water the last week or so.  This is why I needed to be sure I was well ahead of the curve on my story, because I think you would all kill me if I left you at the newly posted chapter until I found time to write the next.  I know my faithful readers will want me to post more quickly for a bit, but I'm rationing what I have so the whole thing comes with as little delay as possible.

Just to be clear, Fantasia--Dírmaen's father is not a lord, but his great-grandfather was (the third son of the second son of the third son . . . isn't that what I said?).

DKP - 27 Feb 09 - 5:30 PM

Ch. 9: Unbidden Guests

Ai Elbereth! It's shaping up into the worst of my anguished imaginings! Where are the rest? When is the cavalry coming??

Grim, with excellent setup and pacing, and the character reactions to the unfolding events are simply superb and believable.

mffantasia - 28 Feb 09 - 9:35 PM

Ch. 9: Unbidden Guests

I'm terrified, this is bad, but the worst is coming, because we don't know where is the rest of the outlaws,Where are those Rangers?! Dirmaen is going to feel so guilty... This is a good chapter and I don't need to tell you that I can't wait for the next one. Thanks.

Elrûn - 01 Mar 09 - 11:21 PM

Ch. 9: Unbidden Guests

Adaneth,

this is terrible, and terribly well-written. What more could I possibly say? I just hope the worst will not befall Saelon and her people.

Adaneth - 02 Mar 09 - 6:54 AM

Ch. 9: Unbidden Guests

Thank you for your comments.  Some of your questions will be answered in the next chapter . . . .  I will promise no more.

Ever--

DKP - 13 Mar 09 - 3:26 PM

Ch. 10: Blood-dimmed Tide

[A transcript of Denise's reaction to this chapter.]

"Oh, no. No, no, no…."

"Ugh! How appropriate. Good riddance."

*thrill of hope* "Yes!"

>*despair* "Oh, no! Run! Run!"

"YES!! Yes, yes, yes!" *dance of vengeful glee*

"NO!!"

"What the &$%^ is wrong with that Ranger?! Get over there!"

"AUGH!!! NONONONO!!"

mffantasia - 14 Mar 09 - 11:26 PM

Ch. 10: Blood-dimmed Tide

Adaneth, I will have a heart attack and it is your fault!! How can you stop reight there....Please, update soon...OK, I don't need to tell you that it is a great chapter, but I'm so worry for Dirmaen...and the other men and I hope that she starts to appreciate Dirmaen...Thanks

Elrûn - 15 Mar 09 - 11:19 PM

Ch. 10: Blood-dimmed Tide

Adaneth,

yet another cliffhanger! That certainly isn't the kind of embrace I had in mind for Dírmaen... Please show some kindness to both ranger and reader: Your masterfully written story would be so much duller without him...

Adaneth - 19 Mar 09 - 8:11 AM

Ch. 10: Blood-dimmed Tide

*crawls out from under avalanche of RL; clambers to feet, shakes stuff out of hair, picks rocks out of beard--freezes*

You didn't see that.  Wink

[A transcript of Denise's reaction to this chapter.]

Oh--LOL--thank you!  I needed that, and so did my Muse.

I feel for you, dear readers; please don't have a heart attack, Mffantasia.  Really, I do.  But RL has gotten so hectic that I'm less than half of the way through Ch. 15, and I'm trying to make what I've got last until I'll have more time to write.  That means I'm going to keep posting a chapter every two weeks for the foreseeable future.  Sorry, Elrûn--no quick resolution to the Ranger's dilemna.

It's coming.  Hang in there.  Thank you for your appreciation, and most especially your patience.

mffantasia - 27 Mar 09 - 4:26 PM

Ch. 11: The Best Defense

Adaneth, I'm glad that you have posted, glad that the dwarves are going to the rescue, glad that Hanadan is Ok, but I'm still going to have a heart attack if you don't inform us about Dirmaen's condition and where the other men are, I can't believe that the brigands will kill al of them, the Rangers were already there looking for them, BTW, where are the other Rangers? I don't want to complaint, I did enjoy this chapter and the interaction between Hanadan and the dwarves was priceless, the culture different is hilarious, that little scene trying to figure out if he was old enough for drinking was great, but can you just update soon? I want to know what is happening outside the dwarves' cave!!! Thank you, Fantasia

Elrûn - 30 Mar 09 - 4:41 AM

Ch. 11: The Best Defense

Adaneth,

it is heartening to see the dwarves rushing to the rescue - and very refreshing to see things from their perspective: What indeed is the difference between Dúnedain and Edain?

Thank you for updating despite RL's vagaries:

Adaneth - 10 Apr 09 - 1:13 PM

Ch. 11: The Best Defense

Thank you for your comments, Fantasia and Elrûn--I'm sorry that I wasn't able to get back to you earlier.  But some of your questions are answered in the latest chapter.

Hang in there!  Thank you for your patience!

DKP - 24 Apr 09 - 11:03 AM

Ch. 11: The Best Defense

I'm lagging behind, but at least some of the suspense can be better appreciated from this vantage point!

For instance, I'm not sure I would otherwise have caught the neat parallel between Thyrnir on watch at the beginning of this chapter and him on watch a couple of chapters further on. What a change an evening makes, in attitude and for whom the watch is conducted.

Loved your usual neat details, such as why Veylin, being home, had not made it to White Cliffs yet. Love seeing Auð, as always – I think she is one of my favorite characters in the fandom, OC or original, and that is saying a lot! Thoroughly enjoyed her and Sút's reaction to Hanadan (appalled fascination – perfect!), and Auð's thoughts reflect so clearly the Dwarven attitude about children. (And such a charge, to care for another's child without their leave. Etc.)

That earned her a peculiar look.  "He is Edain," Hanadan said, as if that explained all. Another telling little snippet...

"Half a crown says the man-child eats less than you the rest of this day." This whole bit had me chortling in delight. And Auð's dry displeasure at the end left me reflective about women's roles in Dwarven society and their own thoughts about it, good and bad.

Elrûn - 11 Apr 09 - 11:48 PM

Ch. 12: Fighting for Strangers

Adaneth,

Partalan is a fool - and does Veylin really have to belittle Dírmaen's prowess when the latter lying on his deathbed? I enjoyed the thought of the dwarven chieftain fleeing from Rian's charms...

Your story is becoming ever more multicultural, and I like it!

mffantasia - 13 Apr 09 - 9:11 AM

Ch. 12: Fighting for Strangers

Adaneth,

We still have some mem lost, I hope that they are alive, I like Halpan and Gaernath. It is sad how all those races don't trust each other, Saelon's people, the Rangers and dwarves, it will be easy if they let aside the differences, thans God for Saelon and her ability to find allies, I sppose that that is what make a leader.

I'm glad for Veylin but didn't like his thoughts about Dirmaen, they own to him Saelon and her peoples lives...Thanks a nd waiting for more...

Adaneth - 14 Apr 09 - 5:42 AM

Ch. 12: Fighting for Strangers

Elrun said: and does Veylin really have to belittle Dírmaen's prowess when the latter lying on his deathbed?

Fantasia said: I'm glad for Veylin but didn't like his thoughts about Dirmaen, they own to him Saelon and her peoples lives

Now, you two, be fair--Veylin didn't know Dírmaen had returned, let alone that he was wounded.  You know those two aren't friends.

I enjoyed the thought of the dwarven chieftain fleeing from Rian's charms

*puzzled look; goes and rereads section*  Oh, that's not what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion!  Veylin is touched that Rian is so reassured by his presence, as a kinswoman might be; his disquiet is all worry about Saelon.  He's not thinking very clearly just now, because the rape of a dwarf-woman would be inconcievable and he's starting to think of Saelon as if she were kin--but she is a woman of Men, and he knows they do get raped.  The suspense has been horrible for him, too.

Thank you for the comments!

DKP - 24 Apr 09 - 11:38 AM

Ch. 12: Fighting for Strangers

Veylin's grim thoughts as you open the chapter are precisely what I'd expect, his high opinion of Saelon balanced against reality. I wonder if some of his later disgruntlement at the Rangers/Dírmaen is partly disappointment that he – who thinks so much of the Lady – was not the one to provide relief, but these others who he sees as thinking too little of her valor.

Awesome descriptions, for example when Veylin comes across Partalan. Truly inspired interactions, there. *g*

I did love that Rian et. al. would open only to the Dwarves – very nice and realistic touch! Hee. It's rather amazing how I feel anything from antipathy to indifference to (nearly all!) of the Rangers in your stories even as they are doing noteworthy things, when generally I regard them as heroes. You write the different perspective brilliantly. :)

Loved Leod's stoutness and Veylin's thoughts about it. *g* again! And I delighted in Rian and all the currents going on in that passage between cliff-dwellers, Ranger and Dwarves. The lightness is much appreciated between all the grim moments.

Adaneth - 30 Apr 09 - 4:12 AM

Ch. 12: Fighting for Strangers

Thank you for all the comments, DKP!  I'm in the thick of it here, but the end is in sight, and I'm champing at the bit to spend more time on Dûnhebaid myself.

They are heroes--but perhaps you have observed that heroism is often taken for granted or devalued, even by those who benefit from it.  (You know what Butterbur's opinion of "stick-at-naught" Strider was.)  And Saelon, by her own character as well as lineage, sets the bar awfully high.

Is some attitude adjustment in order?  Time will tell.  Wink

DKP - 24 Apr 09 - 12:02 PM

Ch. 13: Watch O’er Man’s Mortality

The quote with which you opened had me bracing myself for the worst! Perhaps I should still be braced...

Again, wonderful PoV from Thyrnir.

"I have a very great curiosity about your women, you know," she murmured.  "I should dearly love to meet one." Oh pleasepleaseplease??? Without pretence?!?

... yet the thought that she valued a thing he had helped create enough to hold fast in the face of such torment made him feel quite strange, proud of his work and taken aback by its power. Awesome. Great exchange between him and Saelon, and I loved his solution to the blood on the floor. Superb. Details incredible. (Like: Saelon set a hand on his shoulder, the nailbeds dark with blood.)

Excellent interactions with returning menfolk, and Saelon's reactions to both. I appreciated Halpan's more mature insight.

What would have happened if he had not— Yes, Saelon, just continue along that path towards gratitude... *is hopeful*

You grant a great deal of relief in this chapter, while leaving plenty for us to speculate about! I am eager to find out who the leader of these brigands was, if there was some history between him and the folk at Habad-e-Mindon that led him to be so callus in harming or allowing harm. Saelon did not seem to recognize the man who grabbed her.

Anticipating the next update! Your insatiable reader,

Denise

MMB - 24 Apr 09 - 1:26 PM

Ch. 13: Watch O’er Man’s Mortality

It's good to see this continuing to be posted.  I have fallen in love with your Saelon; she's such a brave and stoic woman!  Just the kind to lead her people effectively so far from friends and other kin.

Looking forward to your next installment.

mffantasia - 27 Apr 09 - 10:22 AM

Ch. 13: Watch O’er Man’s Mortality

I was so afraid to have news of Dirmaen, but he is still alive....Saelon is such a brave woman, a little bitter against men, but I can understand her frustration. At least she is grateful of Dirmaen's help. Great chapter as usual, poor Tearlag, it will be so hard for her to recover. Where Halpan is going?

Fantasia

Elrûn - 29 Apr 09 - 12:43 AM

Ch. 13: Watch O’er Man’s Mortality

Adaneth,

There is little for me to add to the previous comments. Your story blossoms with every change of perspective. This perhaps is what I admire most about it.

Adaneth - 30 Apr 09 - 4:31 AM

Ch. 13: Watch O’er Man’s Mortality

Thank you all, for your patience as well as your comments.

Your story blossoms with every change of perspective.

*beatific smile*  Thank you, Elrûn.  The Muse has just drawn nearer.  That will complicate my life presently, but anything that gets the story onwards is good.

Where is Halpan going?

If you cast your mind back, Fantasia, Halpan and Partalan are supposed to go to Srathen Brethil to meet and watch over some of the people who are moving back there.

Hello, MMB--glad you're enjoying the story. Smile

Oh pleasepleaseplease???  Without pretence?!?

*cryptic Dwarvish smile*

...who the leader of the brigands was, if there was some history between him and the folk at Habad-e-Mindon that led him to be so callus in harming or allowing harm.

No, no personal history at all: it is easier to treat utter strangers as if they were things rather than people.  But as hillmen of Angmar, I am sure most of the reivers saw "West-Men" as ancient enemies and therefore "lawful" prey.  However, those among them who were outlaw Men of Eriador--like the one Fransag killed--did not have even that slender excuse.

mffantasia - 12 May 09 - 8:34 AM

Ch. 14: Old Wives' Tales

It is so refreshing to see us Humans through the eyes of the dwarves and a female dwarf. What a difference between both races, it sad to see the little interaction between the races in Middle Earth and why not, in Earth. It is so easy to be prey of enemies when so much distrusting, ignorance is a good weapon in war. I can understand her perplexity of why they won't abandon their place after all the ordeal, but I'm human too and will not leave my home, in fact I'll want to rebuild it, I suppose that it is so irrational, but it is very Human I too believe that Saelon has to reconsider her position, she can not be alone anymore, she needs the Rangers protection, her own people, I know that dwarves are allies, but she needs to create bridges with the rest of her people, no more isolation. I suppose that if they come back to their home time, she will keep her own settlement, not everybody will leave the place, but the proximity of the village will help them to be more secure. Now, how is Dirmaen, do you realize that you keep the news from his recovery or lack of from us? Thanks and waiting for more.

Elrûn - 20 May 09 - 3:01 AM

Ch. 14: Old Wives' Tales

Adaneth,

It is refreshing indeed to see men from the perspective of the dwarves - and to know that dwarves differ among themselves, too... Would that we knew how the wounded fare!

Adaneth - 22 May 09 - 11:07 AM

Ch. 14: Old Wives' Tales

Would that we knew how the wounded fare!

Thank you for your comments, Fantasia and Elrûn.  The latest update on the wounded has just been posted.  Smile  And, now that RL has relented somewhat, I hope to be able to move things along a bit more quickly in the future.

DKP - 05 Jun 09 - 6:20 PM

Ch. 14: Old Wives' Tales

Behind, as always these days, but each of your lovely chapters deserves a shower of reviews and I cannot skip...

I love Sút and Auð, and their reactions to Hanadan and then Halpan. The view of Men from the outside is so telling, not just of Men themselves (apt and accurate questions, Auð!) but then reflecting back wonderfully to Dwarven family beliefs and customs. And then Prut and lineage - lol!

Very touching scene between Halpan and Hanadan (the scamp!), awesome reactions all around (loved Bersi - He had raised sons), really felt for Halpan's embarrassment.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Auð? She is one super class act. As is your incredible story; for me, your deeply-laid Dwarven perspective is the best in the fandom.

Elrûn - 26 May 09 - 6:19 AM

Ch. 15: Sitting Idly By

Adaneth,

To see Veylin so moved, uncertain even, is unsettling indeed. Nor do the news concerning Dírmaen serve to calm my nerves. I just hope that men and dwarves will not become estranged after all that has happened...

mffantasia - 26 May 09 - 8:54 AM

Ch. 15: Sitting Idly By

Adaneth,

You will think that after such a  tragic event, people will get closer, but it seems that the differeces between races are creating a greater gulf than bridges. I hope that they can resolve all this and preserve their alliance. Good for her trying to send news to the elves, and to attend the rangers. God, can you give us  real news about Dirmaen? the only that I know is that he is alive and ready to die...

Adaneth - 26 May 09 - 10:45 AM

Ch. 15: Sitting Idly By

Thanks for the comments, Elrûn and Fantasia!

Oh ye of little faith . . . .  Surely you don't think Saelon dislikes him so much she'd let her reputation suffer by losing a patient?  Wink

Everyone's had a very upsetting couple of days, and are not themselves . . . or are too much themselves.  Shall we find out which?

DKP - 05 Jun 09 - 7:25 PM

Ch. 15: Sitting Idly By

Ach, Veylin! That's what happens when a person who is used to staying busy ends up idle for too long. Such worries and stresses - I understand whereof they grow, but hopefully he will take time later to reflect on how close the timing was. Had the Rangers (read: Dírmaen) not driven themselves over the mountains with such ferocity, the Dwarves would have arrived first and been very much needed.

...she sounded eerily like a Dwarf as she upbraided Nyr for shoddy workmanship...

I've come out of this with a far deeper respect for Fransag.

Such a contrast: Auð's insights gained from a child of normalcy, Veylin seeing Men in a time far from normal. You do such an amazing job of stepping into the Dwarven perspective to show how odd certain behaviors look, which Men read as natural. It was utterly fascinating to watch through Veylin's perspective; and his wish to help, if only he knew how, very touching. Goodness, I like him.

Dírmaen.

Hee! I admit, I had forgotten the depth of enmity on both parts.

...and are not themselves . . . or are too much themselves.  Shall we find out which?

Yes, please!!

mffantasia - 05 Jun 09 - 4:41 PM

Ch. 16: Echoes

You have updated!...this will be fast, I'm at work...you had me glue to the screen reading this...I was mad with her for not remember his worth and then, full of hope with her thoughts (he was right about the danger, he really loves her, he is handsome...) and the kiss (Dirmaen!!!) and then back to despair with the last sentence, I wanted to scream Hey Saelon, I value him! (I know, I'm hopeless romantic) Now, seriously, I love this story and your Saelon, I'm always complaining about her, but she is an amazing woman and leader, she definitely has a cold mind, but not a cold heart. Waiting for more...thank you

DKP - 05 Jun 09 - 8:25 PM

Ch. 16: Echoes

SQUEEE!!! *cough* Sorry, the subtleties of your chapter deserve more, but that was definitely my lasting impression at the end. :)

Powerful resonances in the title; I can see more than one person/event it's applicable to. Sure wish that opening quote wasn't quite so melancholy, though, partnered with this particular chapter...

I like Halpan and his concern; he seems to have steadied-up a lot over the last couple of stories. I rather like Randir, too - I don't suppose there's a slot for him somewhere in our continuing cast of characters?

Saelon could not in honesty say aye... Dírmaen had struck her as a cautious man, rather: a watcher, quiet, calculating. *rolls eyes* Rescue attempt notwithstanding, I guess.

Saelon could hear the grief in his voice. That was a nice touch; good to know that Dírmaen's precipitous departure did not harden hearts towards him.

"I cannot believe, Lady," he observed, "that anything is more stubborn than the two of you together." Lol! *That* was an even nicer touch! And makes me wonder what might have been remarked on amongst the others.

Shocked, she did not think to drop the bowl at once, so she could use that hand to push him away. I'm going to hope that there's more to that oversight about the bowl than just shock...

If she did not value him, others did. You got that right, lady! *stands in solidarity with other Dírmaen fangurls*

Elrûn - 08 Jun 09 - 12:59 AM

Ch. 16: Echoes

Adaneth,

The news concerning Dírmaen is most welcome - would that it had a merrier taste! The ranger's despair is palpable, an even more dangerous wound indeed. Please do not let him perish - Has there not been enough death?

Adaneth - 10 Jun 09 - 8:20 AM

Ch. 16: Echoes

*looks around at all the Dírmaen fangurls*  Oh, oh . . . .  Might they gang up on me?  Wink

Thank you for the kind and enthusiastic comments, Fantasia, DKP, and Elrûn!

she definitely has a cold mind, but not a cold heart.

That's a very apt description, Fantasia.  Although I know some of you still wish both were warmer.

Glad you're still enjoying the Dwarvish culture exploration, DKP.

mffantasia - 19 Jun 09 - 8:56 AM

Ch. 17: Men of Peace

Hi Adaneth,

Well, at least here is this impass betweem them, she doesn't trust the elves, but they are allies nonetheless, I hope that this situation help them to trust and know each other and become friends.

So, Dirmaen is still alive, be careful Adaneth, we are watching you...I liked the scene (I know, it is not a movie) when she combs his hair with her fingers, very touching, at least for me, because I know that she was only bieng practical...

I like Coruwi, his compassion and his willing to help, and he has more elves with him, I was thinking the same that Saelon, two elves only? Hope that he can help Dirmaen and I want him staying there...

Want to see the dwarves and elves interaction, that will be good.

you write so well, are you going to write any original story?

Elrûn - 22 Jun 09 - 2:08 AM

Ch. 17: Men of Peace

Adaneth,

how good to know the two elves are lending their helping hands - equally sad to know even they are powerless to help poor Tearlag... Fascinating how you turn a formerly desolate place by the sea into a junction where all kinds of people meet... Thank you for this new, fine chapter!

Adaneth - 23 Jun 09 - 12:47 PM

Ch. 17: Men of Peace

Thank you for your comments, Fantasia and Elrûn.  (I will duly consider myself watched.  Wink )

I have written original stories, Fantasia--but when the time came to shop them to publishers, I found the process to be dishearteningly random and bad for my blood pressure.  I have a good--but time-consuming--job that I like very much, so I get more satisfaction from writing for pleasure than trying to figure out what "the market" is buying right now.  My former co-author is still struggling to break through as a professional author; it's hard.

That said, if there are any agents out there interested in science fiction with an ethnographic bent (though not as much as Le Guin), have I got a planet for you . . . .  Wink

Ah, well--their loss, your gain.

DKP - 31 Jul 09 - 6:55 AM

Ch. 17: Men of Peace

I got a huge laugh out of your intro quote vs. the individuals to which it refers - no doubt they themselves would be less amused by the comparison! Lol!

Many enjoyable conversations here: Craec (loved his personality), Dírmaen's baleful petulance, Coruwi's sharp-eyed kindness. Your always-rich details, small and large, give me so much pleasure. (Saelon digging out her shawl, for example.)

Especially lovely and touching: ...she had not known Nyrað well and more recent sorrows pressed on her heart, there seemed a special grief in this, as at a child stillborn. And the melancholy-tinged moment when she and Coruwi stand outside looking at the sea.

"Gwinnor warned me of your merlin's temper." That makes me wonder what else Gwinnor might have said, as well as what Coruwi himself thinks from the Men's visit to Mithlond.

And caught my eye: "Our own folk will soon be coming to this country, so we thank you for the promptness of your warning." Really? Why? Did I forget or miss something from "After Stormy Seas"?

Elrûn - 06 Jul 09 - 4:26 AM

Ch. 18: Venturing Forth

Adaneth,

The intimacy between Saelon and Veylin is really intense - as is the mistrust between Elves and Dwarves... Now I am looking forward to the celebrations on Tuilérë!

mffantasia - 06 Jul 09 - 8:56 AM

Ch. 18: Venturing Forth

Well, life goes on...you really show the interaction between all the races, their strengh and weakness, I really like to see how Saelon's people is moving forward, if there is one thing to credit humans is perseverance.

Thank you.

Adaneth - 10 Jul 09 - 10:41 AM

Ch. 18: Venturing Forth

The intimacy between Saelon and Veylin is really intense

Oh, probably not intense enough for some people.  Wink  Although Dírmaen would agree with you.

Thank you for your comments, Elrûn and Fantasia!

DKP - 31 Jul 09 - 7:36 AM

Ch. 18: Venturing Forth

*gives three cheers for Sút* You've almost got me feeling very, very sorry for Dwarven men, except that they are, in the end, equal to such strength and fortitude. Though I find Veylin's musings a few paragraphs down to be revealing. While the circumstances for females of Dwarves and Men are very different, I still see tiny threads of similarities running through them.

She did not have the menfolk she deserved. Well, Veylin, she could if she wanted.... *g*

The conversation at Maelchon's was so realistic in tone. I also enjoyed the little snippets of Veylin's Dwarven biases: ...the Elf looked past her, at Veylin, the smoothness of his face as inscrutable as any beard... and She had endured so much, and was not Khazâd. How much more could she bear? (We're a tougher lot than you might think, Veylin!) It all adds up into deeply realistic and believable characters - wonderful, wonderful.

mffantasia - 17 Jul 09 - 9:09 AM

Ch. 19: The Cunning of Women

Well, you named this chapter after me, I'm sure!...I want to know more! but know more about the dwarves...What an intersting culture, their point of view about women is so different, to an outsider, it looks that they are hidden and not respected, but you can see that they are equal to males and treated with great respect, very different of what happens in human society, which you have to admit that Saelon is an exceptional case, also I believe that Dunadan treated their women better than other races...

Love to see their business oriented society, the show of riches is very important for them, how they can't understand Saelon helping Veylin without expecting a compensencion and I like how they see their explanation about the "giving and taking deal"for everything, no favors allowed...So, Human are not the only suspicius about Saelon and Vaylin? in that particular issue, all races are the same, can not understand friendship between male and female, well I will think that elves might understand that, but maybe not...

Good to know about Dirmaen, well he is alive...I'll be waiting for more updated from you, this story facinate me as no other have done before...

Elrûn - 20 Jul 09 - 2:27 AM

Ch. 19: The Cunning of Women

Adaneth,

your chief protagonists' relationship is exactly as close as I can possibly be comfortable with - It is good to see that Sút refrains from insinuating more. At the same time, you remind us of the utter poverty the men are living in which is as amazing to me as to any dwarf.

Your story keeps unfolding and I keep enjoying it - Thank you for your efforts!

Adaneth - 20 Jul 09 - 10:47 AM

Ch. 19: The Cunning of Women

Thank you for your kind comments on my interpretation of Dwarvish culture, Fantasia.

I'm glad this is working for you, because figuring it out has been a real challenge.  There is a clear correlation in human societies between women's economic contributions and their status, and since Dwarves are such economic creatures . . . .

no favors allowed

Well, what do people often say when someone does them a favor?  "I owe you."  Debt can be oppressive, and since Dwarves were designed to resist domination, my view is that they have an abhorrence of debt.

And thanks to Elrûn as well:

I expected many readers would see it that way.  Laugh out loud  But since I will shortly head into the Wild to live out of a canoe for a week, I also appreciate how little of what I own is truly a necessity.

DKP - 31 Jul 09 - 8:09 AM

Ch. 19: The Cunning of Women

I am very sympathetic to Auð's worries - it is difficult to put such behind you when you cannot/will not go see a situation for yourself. Wise Sút indeed.

The whole conversation between Sút and Auð was just delightful (and informative: Murdag/Leod/Gaernath, etc.).  Their struggle to figure out the different "levels" of Men is interesting and somewhat understandable, although I kept wanting to whisper "Petty-dwarves" to them. Every race in M-e seems to have their examples of "high", "low" and in-between when it comes to breeding and/or behavior; Men's situations are perhaps more obvious to other races simply because they are not hidden away and are so darn prolific.

Your descriptions (may I say once again, ever repeating) are terrific; I can so clearly picture everything, yet the scenes never feel bogged down by details. Your highly-discriminating use of and economy with words has a lot to do with it, of course.

It is fascinating to hear their opinions of Veylin and Saelon's friendship and to know they have trouble with it as others do, even with Dwarven examples like Lukla and Fagr. No wonder interracial harmony is so hard to come by.

mffantasia - 29 Jul 09 - 9:02 AM

Ch. 20: A Taste of the Sea

Hi Adaneth,

This is short, I'm at work, but couldn't resist...My, those dwarves are suspicious, poor Diramen, no one will ever think good of him, but I'm glad that he is recovering, I hope that he can return to his old self, he was a good warrior and handsome and...., well you know that I like him. So Rian has becoming a second Saelon, good for her, she will be a help to his own brother when he comes back to repopulate Srathen Brethil and Halpan will be there...don't know from where I got the idea that she and Halpan will end together, I'm overly romantic today. I suppose that Saelon will remain in the White Cliffs, as a Lady, she has her own people that won't come back to the town. Love the dwarves, their POV, their interpretations about humans, always ready to trade..lot of money and goods but men are ahead of them regarding food, funny... Where are the elves?

Thanks for updating...I'm looking forward the next chapter already...no pressure.

Adaneth - 04 Aug 09 - 1:16 PM

Ch. 20: A Taste of the Sea

Thank you for the comments, Fantasia and DKP!

I've just dashed in to grab a few handkerchiefs--the ponies are stamping at the door--before running off into the Wild for a fortnight, so I will reply more properly when I return.  (Provided my adventures do not turn distressingly unpleasant.  Wink )  I will have another chapter for you then, loyal readers.

Elrûn - 05 Aug 09 - 2:35 AM

Ch. 20: A Taste of the Sea

Adaneth,

Better late than never: Thank you for this new chapter which you produced just before heading for the wilderness! It is amazing how much more familiar not only the different protagonists but also their respective races have become by now! And yes, poor Dírmaen, for you seem to have limitied his part to coughing and eliciting either the pity or the contempt of dwarves...

Adaneth - 21 Aug 09 - 12:13 PM

Ch. 20: A Taste of the Sea

Now I know what those dratted bugs eat when they can't get hobbit!  *scratches fugitively*

Thank you for those hurried comments before I ran off into the Blue, Fantasia.  Yes, I had noticed that you like Dírmaen.  Wink  Where are Coruwi and the other Elves?  Off on their patrols: they had originally intended to come for Spring Day, but since they came earlier they couldn't stay.

And while on the topic, DKP asked:

Did you mean "Why are Elves coming to this country?"  If so, I believe that some of the Elves of Lindon (particularly the remaining Green-Elves of old Ossiriand) still wander in a seasonal round, and now that spring is coming, will leave the shelter of the forests in southern Lindon for the north.  They are few and keep apart from Men and other interlopers, which is why you haven't heard much about them.

DKP - 07 Sep 09 - 10:56 PM

Ch. 20: A Taste of the Sea

Wonderful start, with both humor and dissension among the Dwarves. Sharp-eyed, sharp-witted Nordri! *g* But all your Dwarves are just so delightful. (But don't tell them that - I doubt they'd be flattered by such a description.)

And of course I dearly loved: "Dúnedain are hardier than other Men," Thyrnir allowed, "but no match for a Dwarf.  I will see your florin." I have to admit, those results felt good, even if Dírmaen was just barely hanging on at table and I like Thyrnir very much.

The exchanges between Men and Dwarves are so well done. Loved her eyes were shrewd as her aunt's, though must echo mffantasia and Elrûn's thoughts about Dírmaen capturing the suspicions of Dwarves - even Veylin's sister now!

Your dinner descriptions leave me famished with each reread. Wow. Love the bits in the author's notes.

And while on that topic, I adore your theory about why Dwarves find the Sea so disturbing - infrasonic hearing indeed! Fantastic conjecturing and absolutely believable! Well done.

And thank you for answering my question earlier, ill-phrased as it was - I was indeed asking about the Elves.

mffantasia - 21 Aug 09 - 3:45 PM

Ch. 21: Taking the Air

Hi Adaneth! welcome back to civilization, hope that you enjoyed your vacation in the Wilds...

Love this chapter, and I will say the same that in my other comment, this people are so suspicious...Dirmaen is only looking for the bad signs, not a good thought in that head...Well, she is so cold (in his mind) that I can blame him.. I can feel his torment, to love without hope (well not my experience)...At least he is better and they are able to talk to each other. He needs to get rid of this guilt that he is feeling for leaving them, it doesn't do any good and no one can control everything, it wasn't his fault, can you, please tell him?

Fransag has become hard, but I can understand, she is a formidable woman, just different to Saelon, which now seems more easy.

Love to read your story, waiting for more and thank you

Tindome - 22 Aug 09 - 2:07 PM

Ch. 21: Taking the Air

...and I will patiently wait for more.

The realistic way you handle you characters makes even love-related-chapters interesting. (What you do with your view on different cultures is too awesome for a short comment.) And I like your pacing very much - slow enough to be believable, yet the story never gets boring.

Maybe  Dírmaen is a bit too depressed here for a real tough ranger-guy, who could know a little about the time that is needed for healing, and should not be ashamed that he can't run before this time - but then, a tiny bit hurt/comfort makes the story more emotional and I do not object.

Thank you for an update!

Elrûn - 27 Aug 09 - 1:30 AM

Ch. 21: Taking the Air

Adaneth,

Ah, I really would not like to trade places with Dírmaen... All this frailty must greatly irk him. My thoughts keep returning to poor Tearlag, too. Nothing but inconclusive hints - but then, what is there to say? Anyway, thank you for returning from the wilderness and giving us this new chapter!

Adaneth - 29 Aug 09 - 6:39 AM

Ch. 21: Taking the Air

Vacation?  Laugh out loud  I enjoy my time in the Wild very much, MFfantasia, but I guide a party of inexperienced adventurers--who are as creative as young Hobbits at finding ways to give me more grey hairs.

"Irked" is one way to put it, Elrûn.  Wink

Maybe Dírmaen is a bit too depressed here for a real tough ranger-guy

So long as it's only a tiny bit of hurt/comfort, Tindome.  Smile  This is another manifestation of my mania for realism: Dírmaen's been knocked back by serious blood loss and pneumonia, as well as the wounds themselves--and he's not as young as he used to be.  He's been wounded before, but not laid so low for so long, and that in itself--intimations of mortality--often has a depressing effect.

Aside, of course, from the other emotional complications.

Glad you're all still enjoying the story!

DKP - 07 Sep 09 - 11:20 PM

Ch. 21: Taking the Air

It is easy to go down into Hell... Easy indeed, and Dírmaen has a looong way to climb out again, particularly when I take the next chapter with this one.

I love Randir. Have I mentioned that before? I hope he hangs around and... No, wait, one romance at a time. :)

Ach, poor Dírmaen. No one likes coddling when impatient to be well. But I admit to some irritation, too - jealous of Randir? *sigh*

Fransag and Tearlag. Gah. Thank goodness Saelon found a way to get Tearlag out of that. And I enjoyed her subtle handling of Fransag. For all she loves her solitude, Saelon has quite the people skills. *g*

And nice lead-in to the next chapter, with some actual amiable conversation between them...

DKP - 07 Sep 09 - 11:39 PM

Ch. 22: Meeting of Minds

Ouch! More like a "missing of the minds", really. Very nice intro quote: each of the main characters could use a good dose of it.

It took me a bit to realize that this is some weeks after the previous chapter, but then your timing cues kicked in and the ending became even more bitter...

Very well done chapter, although you leave me terribly frustrated! Though I bear hope for Dírmaen's desires yet, there are so many obstacles, each deeply formidable: his apparently uncontrollable jealousy, Veylin's pride and suspicions (goodness, no, let's not reveal that Dírmaen's opinions of Dwarves have some basis in fact!), Saelon's insistent attacking of Dírmaen. I mean, she *knows* how he feels about her - it seems obvious that Dírmaen will be hard-pressed to be gracious both by virtue of recent illness and having his private chat with her interrupted. Yet even though Veylin prods Dírmaen just as keenly in return, it's Dírmaen that bears the brunt of her scorn.

Really, at this point I'm almost hoping he packs up, hits the road and regains the tenuous peace he knew when away from the lot of them. Hmph.

But you do have me terribly curious about Brassar...

Elrûn - 08 Sep 09 - 6:01 AM

Ch. 22: Meeting of Minds

Adaneth,

Although Veylin is just stating the obvious I have to agree with him: Dírmaen has to be madly in infatuated with Saelon if he fails to see how much his behaviour must estrange him from the objective of his desires.  And yes, I am curious about Brassar, too... There must be something else behind Saelon's reluctance to accept Dúnedain authority...

mffantasia - 08 Sep 09 - 9:24 AM

Ch. 22: Meeting of Minds

Adaneth,

Poor Dirmaen,  I think that I agree witht thh other ones, I almost, almost, wish him packing and leaving. If she can not appreciate him, I'm sure that other will, but I said "almost". She was quick to lash againts him, but what about Veylin, for first time I wanted him gone too, he is so hard.

I suppose that her anger with Dirmaen is maybe a good sign, that she cares a little, I have always been an optimitic. It seems that people don't really knows how hard and ungrateful is the Rangers' live. I wish to know her past love story...

Well, I'm not feeling to charitable with Saelon today, so I won't comment about her ways.

Thanks and waiting for more, as usual.

DKP - 12 Mar 10 - 4:59 PM

Ch. 23: Ensnaring Women

Late is better than never, yes? Erg...

What a superb job you do, revealing Dírmaen's tortured mind to us. And all the lovely details I so adore, like as Dírmaen arranged his cloak so the wet would stream away from their seat, to name only one of many - never too much, but crafting a complete picture in my mind and totally realistic.

And awwww... the connection between Mada and Dírmaen brought a smile to my own face.

...his grandmother had captained the defense of Gellnen against a band that ravaged the North Downs while the men battled the larger horde near Fornost. Heh! I'd like to see his and Saelon's grandmothers meet. *g*

Love Dírmaen's inner thoughts as he and Randir converse. And Randir's confession: yay! I confess I myself was rather hoping for that, incurable romantic that I am.

Randir gave him a long-suffering look.  "So you must eschew open battle . . . yet what is new in that?  You are a Ranger, are you not?" Brilliant, Randir - just the sort of counsel Dírmaen needs in order to get his head on straight!

Tindome - 01 Dec 09 - 3:55 AM

Ch. 24: Another Man's Meat

Chapters! Oh, what a joy to read!

mffantasia - 01 Dec 09 - 9:50 AM

Ch. 24: Another Man's Meat

Adaneth! You are back! Two chapters!!! Too bad that I'm at work and can't leave you a good review; I only have enough time to read them. When I get home, I will take more time to read and review.  So Dirmaen is going to court her...and the Lady seems more open to him, at least, she is noticing his qualities and lamenting (well probably I'm exaggerating) that he will leave. What a terrible thing that Tearlag is pregnant, at the end, that poor baby is the one that will suffer, he didn't ask to come to this world and chances are that he won't be loved.

Thank you, and I hope to see more chapters coming soon.

Elrûn - 10 Dec 09 - 2:22 AM

Ch. 24: Another Man's Meat

Adaneth,

Just a quick comment from me: Your writing is as fabulous as ever! What stood out in the last two chapters were the renewed hints at Saelon's past. They give your story a depth that reminds me of Tolkien's own oeuvre.

Do not let yourself be rushed. Your readers are grateful for every chapter you bestow upon them.

DKP - 12 Mar 10 - 5:19 PM

Ch. 24: Another Man's Meat

Oh, Tearlag... what pain, what pain...

And somehow mirroring Saelon's own. What teasing but rather terrible glimpses you give us of her past - and well done.

Bless Canand, though I wonder too what his response to the full truth will be. I'll hope for the best. Love your presentation of his manner and accent!

Of course, much appreciation for Saelon's strange reluctance and thoughts as she watched Dírmaen. :)  Just when I'm feeling disgruntled and crushed, you deftly resuscitate my hopes!

"I have never doubted your honesty but once, Lady." I'm casting my mind back: when was this? When he saw Veylin giving her the jewel?

Incidentally, I love the herbage notes. It makes me want to add so much to our garden, especially as spring nears.

Elrûn - 08 Mar 10 - 6:21 AM

Ch. 25: Paterfamilias

Adaneth,

What a pleasant surprise! I loved to read about the intricacies of dwarvish blood ties as well as the beautiful references to various precious stones. Thank you so much for this new chapter!

mffantasia - 09 Mar 10 - 2:22 PM

Ch. 25: Paterfamilias

Adaneth,

So glas that you have posted. I don't have too much time for review (I'm at work) but I wanted to let you know that I'm reading and waiting for your updates.

My, those dwarves are all incredible  business men, I would not like to bargain with them, I'm sure that I will lost.

DKP - 12 Mar 10 - 6:50 PM

Ch. 25: Paterfamilias

The contrast between Men and Dwarves is still a bit startling for me: poverty to wealth, bluntness to subtlety. A wonder they ever got along at all during this time period, and perhaps partial reasons why their best alliances happened when Men were on a more equal footing with both regal pride and court intricacies.

As always, incredible descriptions. I'm immediately in this scene, flawlessly shifting into the mood and surroundings.

I really love these glimpses into Veylin's head: his measuring of heirs and formidable king (yes - what is it like to be Reykr and Reynir?), the dance of what to say and how much. And Vitnir. Ugh.

Yet you sometimes bring back an echo of outlandishness in your manner and work that makes folk uneasy. Nice look back at Veylin through his people's eyes.

In short, another fantastic Dwarven chapter, and we know we'll get plenty more with Veylin's return at Midsummer! Yay!

Elrûn - 12 Mar 10 - 2:02 PM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

THIS POST REMOVED DUE TO EMBEDDED JAVASCRIPT CODE.

DKP - 12 Mar 10 - 7:21 PM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

Oof! What an intro quote! You had my heart pounding with that alone. ;-)

All I can really say is: I HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS CHAPTER!

I started quoting and commenting, but it seemed I had something to say about every paragraph. Wonderful writing! Please, please don't make us wait too long to see what happens between these two.

In the meantime, I shall reread this for my, oh, fifth time now, and counting...

Elrûn - 15 Mar 10 - 1:56 AM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

Dear Adaneth,

For some reason my previous comment has been removed. I wrote that I was deeply moved by this new chapter. That sorrow should come in the merry, merry month of May makes it even more keen. Where will the two go from here? I just hope that they will not become estranged again...

Adaneth - 15 Mar 10 - 7:22 AM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

All I can really say is: I HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS CHAPTER!

Not so long as I have.  Wink

Thank you for the kind comments.  If they are meant to stimulate the Muse, I am doing my best to make time for her.  But don't worry--I won't strand you here.  The next chapter is already in hand.

The time Dírmaen believed (correctly) that Saelon was not honest with him was when she asked him to escort her to Gunduzahar so she could trade for cloth, when her real purpose was to warn Veylin that Gwinnor had returned.

Thank you for posting again, Elrûn!  Hang in there until later this week!

mffantasia - 15 Mar 10 - 4:33 PM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

Adaneth,

This chapter is so beautiful, I wanted to cry at the end. I hope that they get close after this. It was so perfect, his declaration, I melted along with Saelon. What a terrible and sad story Saelon's love story. So that is why she left home.

I really enjoy your descriptions of dwarves life, but please, do not have me hanging here waiting for a resolution of these two, I think that I will kill Veylin myself if he pops up in next chapter.

My, I can see the scene in my eyes, you are a great writer.

Adaneth - 17 Mar 10 - 11:07 AM

Ch. 26: Shake the Darling Buds of May

I think that I will kill Veylin myself if he pops up in next chapter.

Glad I decided against that, then! Wink

I'm glad you're enjoying the story so much, Mffantasia.  Look for the next chapter tomorrow!

mffantasia - 18 Mar 10 - 9:59 AM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

Finally!!!! She really overthink every situation and he is so in love that he will do whatever she wants. It won't be an easy relationship, but I think that they need each other and they respect each other too, which is as important as love.

Well, I think that will let Veylin alive, but he will be such a tril to those two, I hope that she asks him to be civil too....

I can't wait for the reaction of the people around. I'm assuming that she is not going back to Srathen Brethil, and will stay as the Lady of the White Clifts, some of the people wit stay with her, but Dirmaen is a Ranger, he has to follow orders and leave when called. Probabily they will see each other less after marriage than now.

OK, I'm writing nonsense, I'm back to re-read this chapter again, Thank you

DKP - 18 Mar 10 - 11:19 AM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

Ditto everything mffantasia said, but still: *happy sigh*

Though 'tis a qualified happy sigh. Like Dírmaen, I think: A curse on her kin for making her so guarded!

Masterful writing as always - this story positively vibrates, sings with life. Take everything I've ever said about your writing and put it in twice, here, for good measure!

DKP - 18 Mar 10 - 11:25 AM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

P.S. You know I love Veylin dearly, yes? But I confess to having a fiendish delight in imagining his reaction to this handfasting... And looking forward to Auð's perspective as well.

rinlossien - 18 Mar 10 - 8:45 PM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

Another lovely chapter.  Saelon's disquiet and Dírmaen's struggles feel very real; the angst of new love and imperfect understandings, with a little class snobbery for extra seasoning. Funny- I'm really wanting to hear Veylin's and Auð's thoughts about this, too.

Thanks!

Elrûn - 22 Mar 10 - 4:12 AM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

Adaneth,

How besotted your protagonists are, and how sober at the same time... A handfasting falls somewhat short of what unconditional romance would call for - and yet it should change everything, and probably not just for Saelon and Dírmaen. I remain your most curious reader:

Adaneth - 22 Mar 10 - 8:35 AM

Ch. 27: Fronting the Waves

Thank you all for your comments on the latest chapter of "Hand to Hand."  I think the reader reactions are about as mixed as those Saelon and Dírmaen will find at Habad and elsewhere.  Smile

Oh, and you lurkers who came out of the woodwork--you'll get yours later.  Wink

DKP - 26 Mar 10 - 5:30 PM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

Hee! What a delightful chapter, Adaneth. From Saelon's thoughts of the previous night, to her reaction when Dírmaen looked at her, to Halpan's reaction - so perfectly rendered.

And yes, what a pain be all the "rules of engagement", indeed. I am heartened by the fact that Veylin came to mind only at the end of Saelon's mental list of notifications. How I love him, but he has the capacity to make life for the couple either much easier or much more conflicted...

Thanks for another fabulous installment. I can't wait for the rest of the revelations!

Thanwen - 28 Mar 10 - 6:31 AM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

Thank you for another convincing chapter.

I wished I could just lean back and sigh, but I'm quite uneasy that - taking your normal display of cruel reality into consideration - it might not end the old fairy tale way for the two of them. Well, perhaps you could just take some pity on your characters... and at least one of your readers?

Freyalyn - 29 Mar 10 - 1:26 AM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

Oh dear, so hopeful and so doomed at the same time (which is also the history of the Dunedain in a nutshell!).  I do hope for safe harbour for them both, but I think you'll send them the long way there.  And what will Veylin think....

Elrûn - 29 Mar 10 - 4:40 AM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

Adaneth,

To see Saelon in such a mood! It makes me wait even more eagerly for the next chapter!

mffantasia - 29 Mar 10 - 10:01 AM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

Well, it seems that the only people happy for them is us, you readers. I really hope that they have a future, but as the others, I think that you are too realistic. I hope that you deviate a little from real life and give us a happy end. It is easier to confront hardships when you have someone that loves you at your side, they both deserve happiness. Now to know what Veylin has to say.

And I'm with Elrûn, to see Saelon in such a mood!

MF.

Adaneth - 29 Mar 10 - 12:45 PM

Ch. 28: Rules of Engagement

your normal display of cruel reality

*presses hand to heart*  You wound me, Thanwen (and MF)!  If it ended "the old fairy tale way," how could I keep you all entertained?  Wink  So Freyalyn's probably making the safe bet. At least Elrûn seems more cheerful!  (I'm not forgetting you, Denise.)

Many thanks for so many comments.  I am working on Veylin's reaction at present, so while you will have to wait longer than Friday, hopefully not much longer.

mffantasia - 09 Apr 10 - 8:55 AM

Ch. 29: Times That Try

Hi Adaneth,

Another great chapter! Veylin took the news very well, I was waiting more resistance. At least, he wants her to be happy.

They really over think too much, but leadership has many responsibilities and their decisions will affect so many people.

They will have so much trouble in their relationship, but I have hope.

So glad that your muse is still with you.

Thanwen - 11 Apr 10 - 5:59 AM

Ch. 29: Times That Try

As for the quality of the story and my pleasure taken from it I can only second DKP, and I have to admit that the opening quote leaves me kind of uneasy!

What I liked most, besides the rich flavour of the language, were the glimpses into the chakacters' minds, given implicitly aswell as explicitly. It is stunning to behold Veylin's ability to differentiate regardless of a person's race and cultur though his way of thinking is shown as typically Dvarwen.

And I appreciated the way you portrayed Dirmaen: Blurting out his triumph and happiness, stating to find it hard to be sober and yet behaving as controlled and sober as can be, avoiding any chance of a quarrel with Veylin! Funny, to be sober due to besottedness!

Oh well, everybody could be happy if it wasn't for Saelon's doubts: Her emphasizing that it was only a trial marriage, and that she thinks they might quarrel nearly made me jump out of my skin! Adaneth, what are you up to, presenting a really lovable Dirmaen and his beloved's contradictions in one and the same chapter? It's somehow like bottle-feeding a lamb and mentally thumbing through your recipes for roast lamb at the same time!

Well, I know that life is mostly ungentle, so I'll stop wailing.

Thank you for one more great chapter, eventhough you surely made me grow at least three more grey hairs!

Adaneth - 12 Apr 10 - 12:40 PM

Ch. 29: Times That Try

thumbing through your recipes for roast lamb

Mmm, lamb.  Grin  Saelon, where's the mint sauce?

Come, you didn't expect Saelon to go all starry-eyed, did you?  But I'm sorry if I've given you grey hair over this, Thanwen.

Yes, MF, Veylin does want her to be happy--and he believes there's little point in trying to talk her out of something she's made up her mind on.  After all, Dwarves pride themselves on their endurance.  Perhaps he thinks he can outlast Dírmaen!  Wink

Thank you both for your comments!

littlehobbitlost - 24 Feb 11 - 2:53 AM

Ch. 30: Plumbing the Depths

Hurrah! You're back.
This is how hobbits feel when they see Gandalf coming to town with a cart full of fireworks.

So glad you're back. Off to Loch Awe and Lochgilphead next week. I'll be thinking of Veylin et al.

Thanks again

Adaneth - 24 Feb 11 - 12:12 PM

Ch. 30: Plumbing the Depths

If only my reasons for staying away were half so good as Gandalf's, Littlehobbitlost!  I'm afraid the best excuse I can muster is that my Muse is clearly a Dwarf, and when she refuses to cooperate, there's nothing to be done but wait until she changes her mind.

Off to Loch Awe and Lochgilphead next week.

*pine*  Keep an eye peeled as you go!  There are a lot of Dwarves going back and forth across the mountains lately.  Wink

Thanks for the comment!

mffantasia - 25 Feb 11 - 10:10 AM

Ch. 30: Plumbing the Depths

I'm so glad that you are back! I have missed this story so much.

I was laughing with Auð and Veylin converstion. No even Men can understand women, so they should not worry about being able to understand the Lady's heart.

I know that you won't make it easy for them, but please, let them be happy.

I hope that your muse stay with you for a while, she took a very long vacation last year.

Thanks for posting

ratcreature - 27 Feb 11 - 2:48 PM

Ch. 30: Plumbing the Depths

I'm enjoying this series very much!

I've spent most of my weekend reading the stories, and once started I couldn't put it down. I'm enjoying how well drawn and complicated your characters are, as well as your vivid world-building when you are fleshing out the everyday lives of the different races and how they interact.

Adaneth - 02 Mar 11 - 11:50 AM

Ch. 30: Plumbing the Depths

Thank you for your patience, Mffantasia, and I hope you like what the last few chapters (of this story) will bring.

I am already working on the next story, but let me get the rest of "Hand to Hand" up first, before I decide what to do about that one.

I'm glad you're enjoying my stories, Ratcreature!  Thanks for posting.

mffantasia - 07 Mar 11 - 9:39 AM

Ch. 31: Wait to Watch the Water Clear

The end of this chapter let me with a huge smile in my face. Those two had so many misunderstandings, that it is a wear sight to have them talking, courting and showing their love. No a young love, but one mature and strong that, I hope, will help them in bad times. They are both going to this marriage or hand fasting, with open wide eyes and knowing each other fairly good. I really hope a good end for them. I like Dirmaen telling her that he will try to work with the dwarves for her sake, and her thoughts that he was a very honest man, when he was trying not to gossip about their lords, and he is very fair in his comments. I believe that they are well matched, but I recognize that I have a soft spot for your Dirmaen.

I wish to know the Chieftain's reaction to their union, and his family and the other Rangers. I'm becoming such a frivolous reader.  So, I'll be more serious,  let me tell you that you are such a great writer, your stories really captive me and I always want more and more, please, keep writing

So glad that your active, that your muse has not abandon you… yet?

Adaneth - 09 Mar 11 - 6:03 AM

Ch. 31: Wait to Watch the Water Clear

Well, Mffantasia, if you have a soft spot for Dírmaen, I hope you like the new chapter.

As for the Chieftain's reaction, and his family's, well, there's another story I need to tell before we get to that.  But the Muse has been as industrious as a Dwarf lately, so things are coming along nicely.

Thank you for your comments!

MMB - 09 Mar 11 - 9:20 AM

Ch. 32: Hand to Hand

Hi there!

It's so good to see another chapter of this - and to see Saelon and Dírmaen's handfasting.  It's too bad the Dwarves weren't there to celebrate too, but... ah well...

I love your take on the Dúnedain and Dwarven cultures.  Thanks for the update.

Cuio mae.

Aeärwen

mffantasia - 16 Mar 11 - 10:51 AM

Ch. 33: Heart's Blood Ascending

Adaneth, all the waiting for your muse to return has been worth it. What a beautiful chapter, I'm so glad that they have this love to share and hope that support them in years to come, more than one year in fact.

What a fine man he is, and how profound he loves her. Love the way that you write it, perfect.

Now, we will see what happens when they are back to reality.

Adaneth - 17 Mar 11 - 10:36 AM

Ch. 33: Heart's Blood Ascending

I'm glad you thought it was worth the wait, Mffantasia, especially since I made you all wait so long.

Now, we will see what happens when they are back to reality.

Why do so many of my readers think something dreadful must be waiting down the road?  Wink

Thank you for the comment!

mffantasia - 24 Mar 11 - 4:29 PM

Ch. 34: Like Him That Travels

Adaneth,

So I guess that this the end, I really enjoyed this chapter. Those two will need to get use to each other, especially Saelon. And Dirmaen will need to learn to loose a little bit.

I know that you have other stories in mind and I will wait for them. I hope to read a sequel of this one some day.

Thank you very much.

Elrûn - 30 Mar 11 - 12:00 PM

Ch. 34: Like Him That Travels

Dear Adaneth,

So many chapters and I have not yet had the time to comment! Let me tell you how pleased I am to see your story continued! It has taken such a blissful turn, I am almost afraid of what might follow...