Comments for: A Bit of Rope

Talk to Aiwendiel

ziggy - 10 Aug 10 - 6:23 AM

I cannot beleive there are no comments on this story after all this work and the beauty of the language, the quality of the narrative. This is a wonderful piece of work - compelling and gorgeous. I have spent a rainy grotty day truly immersed in this and have just had to stop only because I felt there was a bit of a jump between ch 26 and 27. I should have stopped after Gandalf gave the ring to Sam- that was a marvellous bit of writing, but I selfishly wanted to read on.

Aiwendiel - 10 Aug 10 - 7:41 AM

Hi Ziggy, thanks much, I do appreciate comments! (FYI, this "little" piece -- 30 chapters and perhaps 2/3rds done -- sheesh!.. is up for a MEFA this yr.) Regarding the leaps in later chapters, yep, can't avoid it, geographically or chronologically. I considered "book 1,2,3 etc" but couldn't wait to start updating the dispersed characters. Life As We Know It has been full of distractions, so be patient. Hope to scramble all over Rohan then back to MT soon. Thanks again for reading and commenting so positively. A

karol89 - 23 Aug 10 - 3:29 AM

i love this story..Heart...

please update soon!!!!

Aiwendiel - 25 Aug 10 - 10:36 AM

Thanks, Iva !  It always bugged me that Aragorn got thru the war without a scratch. Well, now that I'm in charge, he isn't going to be so lucky... but I won't give more away. TRW is interfering but I hope to post again very soon. A

ziggy - 12 Jan 11 - 11:53 PM

I am blown away by the potential of the ending of this chapter! (Promise no spoilers) Gandalf is so wonderfully written here- with a sense of distance and almost dislocation as he adjusts- I like that there is that unreal physicality - almost as if he does not register the blows or blades. And he is calculating, thinking. The greatest confrontation is yet to come and I can't wait so be quick please!!Frown

Aiwendiel - 13 Jan 11 - 2:13 PM

Ziggy -- thanks for your comments and observations. Always so interesting what the reader sees vs what the writer has in her head! You're right, of course, but I didn't write Gandalf "not registering" the physical -- not on purpose. Alas, the culmination of this scene is a ways off; many far-flung threads must come together first! A

MrsBoromir - 19 Jan 11 - 2:45 AM

cant wait for you to update! Eeeek!

Lindariel - 17 Feb 11 - 11:32 AM

New member here, but I have been "lurking" for a LONG time and enjoying this marvelous story tremendously.  I have loved every single chapter, but this most recent chapter absolutely THRILLED me!  Denethor confessing his use of the palantir to his two sons, and Faramir's beautiful generous soul recognizing and expressing gratitude to his stern father for the incredible sacrifices the Steward has made for his country.  Just brilliantly done!

Aiwendiel - 17 Feb 11 - 12:44 PM

Dear Lindariel -- I truly appreciate your comment. I was worried that Denethor's transformation in the latest ch might have gone too far, seeing as it begins with the ripple effect of Sam's rope and all that follows--a living and transformed Boromir, no Gandalf the White to irritate the Steward, etc. So glad it seemed plausible to you! I am writing as fast as I can to catch up the entire cast to the present moments and beyond... A

Lindariel - 17 Feb 11 - 6:15 PM

Aiwendiel, I am always glad to see Denethor treated with more respect.  He is often so horribly demonized in fan fiction (as well as in Peter Jackson's movies, where he suffered complete character assassination), whereas I regard him as extraordinarily tragic.

Lindariel - 01 Mar 11 - 3:12 PM

Aiwendil, I've just read Chapter 41 -- The Siege!  Astounding!  Now THAT is a fitting end for Denethor, son of Ecthelion.  And what a tremendous feat for Pippin!  Bravo!

Aiwendiel - 02 Mar 11 - 7:05 AM

Thanks, Lindariel! I've always been really unhappy with the original in respect to Denethor, and have wanted to rectify it for a long time. Glad it pleased you. And we haven't seen the end of his influence, but that is for a later chapter... A

Casso - 03 Aug 11 - 9:13 PM

Is it Hurin? Great story, I have just come back to HA after a very busy few months and very much enjoyed catching up on this story. Keep up the great work, I am looking forward to the next chapter. Please help Aragorn!

Aiwendiel - 04 Aug 11 - 9:00 PM

Hi Casso, I see you're on the site! Just posted the next chapter. Aragorn to the rescue? Um... sorry! But maybe somebody will come to the rescue yet!

(And yes, I am quite certain the quote was from Hurin-- thanks for the close reading!)

maeglin - 27 Aug 11 - 5:53 PM

Sad indeed - the Ring War as Nirnaeth Arnoediad.  I say that since this doesn't seem a victory for the West in any meaninful way.  Had Sauron regained the Ring and won the war, the losses could hardly have been more terrible.

The little AU twist of Sam's having the rope with him, so viciously (and unexpectedly) canceled by the Balrog of Moria proving mighty as Sauron himself!  And the "fool's hope" proving just that.  Things go more than a bit "awry", which makes this a nice AU.

But the true greatness of this story (imo) is how it makes the fact that Sauron was thrown down seem beside the point.  In this, it's a truly wonderful blending of the "lightness" of LOTR with the dark-darkness of Narn i Hin Hurin.

In short, a masterpiece.

Aiwendiel - 27 Aug 11 - 8:17 PM

My thanks, maeglin -- I am honored by your words. I've really been touched by all the fine keen-eyed readers this mammoth piece has gathered. I do hope that a bit of light shines in the final two chapters... if I can get them on paper before I am older and greyer than I am now...

Aiwendiel - 07 Nov 11 - 12:59 PM

Hi there readers, a notice appeared that ABOR had been updated and those who checked found a chapter 60, but no text! Plz be patient, it is posted in "private" format and will be up for reading very soon, once ch 61 is also done! Aiwendiel

Aiwendiel - 09 Mar 12 - 7:09 PM

For readers of ABOR -- I just made a few tweaks and corrected an occasional typo. Can't ever stop editing...

Linda Hoyland - 29 Aug 12 - 1:35 AM

This is a truly amazing story which had me on the edge of my seat. Gandalf's passing was heartbreaking Sam's death and I was also deeply moved by the suffering of Aragorn and Arwen and Elrohir.

Your use of the Orc was a wonderful touch and showed the depth of Gandalf's compassion. I was glad to to be spared the details of the torture. Frodo staying behind felt true to life. I loved your characterisation of Denethor and that he could be reconciled with Faramir.

Frodo's depression was well portrayed and I loved the reappearance of Gandalf.

This has been a far better read than most books you buy in shops. This story is a great achievement.