Comments for: A Bit of Rope

Talk to Aiwendiel

A Bit of Rope

ziggy - 06 Jan 12 - 4:08 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

So it's ended. I am moved beyond words.

And it is utterly right to have ended this way.

Love to you dear Aiwendiel.

Ziggy

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Aiwendiel - 07 Jan 12 - 1:12 AM

Ch. 65: Reunion

Dear ziggy, I'm honored to have rendered you 'beyond words'! Thank you for being such a faithful reader and leaver of comments. Tis hard to write about so-called ordinary life after chapter upon chapter about the extraordinary... thus my decision to skip 18 years! Seems to have served, as you are pleased. And yes, it is ended at last, about 2 years in the making. I admit to huge relief and a twinge of sadness, wishing I had just a few more chapters in me... I'll miss my versions of the Professor's characters looking over my shoulder as I type. Back to the RW in all its brilliant, extraordinary ordinariness! A

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Revox - 08 Jan 12 - 9:13 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

::Applause::

A fitting end to an ambitious and very entertaining story.  Thank you!  Job well done.

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Glîrnardir - 27 Jan 12 - 1:51 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

I've just re-read this wonderful chapter. for the dunno-wath-th time.

Tears flowed - as it's right - but I've noticed a detail that escaped from me: the guard who greets the Periain at the beginning. I like to think that he is a 21-year-old Estelion, the briefly-appearing but symbolicly important Son of Hope.

I don't know how much that is possible, but... I very like to think it that way-

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Aiwendiel - 28 Jan 12 - 1:41 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

Thanks for your wonderful comments, Glirnardir -- glad it brings you pleasure even in the re-reading! And I completely love your idea about who that young guard might be -- great idea! A

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Larner - 31 May 12 - 4:19 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

An extraordinary might-have-been, and superbly told indeed.

Life has been filled with ups and downs in the last two years, and I grieve it has taken me so very long to finish this.  I so pray that you find time to continue to write such tales.

I love that Frodo's last mementos are all associated with Gandalf, and that he has charged Gimli and Legolas to befriend a support Iaurel as he will allow them to do.  I love that Pippin at last married Diamond anyway, and that there was an Elanor born, even if it was in Anorien.

In one of my MHBs I have Frodo choosing to remain in Minas Tirith while the others return to the Shire, and in the end much happens as it did in the original, but I found that Elanor was no longer the delicate blond beauty Tolkien gave us, although she was still extraordinary.

Working as I do with those with disabilities, I've seen the devastation caused by so many conditions such as Parkinsons, MS, MD, Alzheimers, and so on.  I can appreciate why Frodo decided that his time had come.  I rejoice that he did try.  He ended up knowing the blessings granted him, at least.

Thank you so for this and for your patience with those who have lagged so behind the writing.

Go to A Bit of Rope

A Bit of Rope

Aiwendiel - 01 Jun 12 - 3:14 PM

Ch. 65: Reunion

And again Larner, my sincere thanks and humble gratitude for your wonderful comments. It matters not a whit how long it took you to finish this, I appreciate readers such as yourself who take time to comment!

I am glad that the ending moved you. I hope to have created a blend of sadness and grief, just as happens at the end of any well lived life. And Frodo's, whether the original or my variation, was certainly one of those.

And I purposefully made nearly every gift to those gathered related somehow to Gandalf; the exceptions being the books, the Star-glass and Arwen's gem. But every member of the Fellowship who received their gift in this scene got a doubly significant memento. Only Pip and Merry's gifts from Frodo were not Gandalf-related, and perhaps were all too practical. But that's a hobbit for you, down to earth and practical to the end.

Alas for poor Sam. If only I could have found a reasonable way to save him too! It broke my heart to lose him so soon, as of course it did Frodo's (and maybe Gandalf's). But as to your final comment, I indeed have more story ideas inside me, and one in particular that features Sam as the star of the show. And I warn you it is even darker than "Rope"! Problem is, it isn't written yet, and I have a few other things on my plate including some half-done fics already in progress on this site!

Thanks again for commenting and so very glad you enjoyed this long long tale.

Aiwendiel