Comments for: The Sons of Thunder

Talk to ziggy

Scarlet10 - 19 Apr 10 - 2:59 AM

I find this story very interesting. I am looking forward to see how the relations among the different parts of this group evolve.

Casso - 10 May 10 - 4:35 PM

Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for this great story.

I am looking forward to seeing how it unravels.  You have some very deep undercurrents taking place.

Your fight scene was very good. I would almost like to see something like this, but I think in reality it would be a little too scary. Especially between two who you count friends and family. After all it was enough to leave Aragorn frozen to the spot.

Keep writing.

heartvodka - 23 Jun 10 - 2:28 PM

Well, where to begin?

I've just found this and I'm so glad I did. From early on it was easy to see that there were some rather frightening themes emerging that could easily have become very out of character and completely unbelievable. But the handling of Elrohir's emotional state and the reasoning behind it is very carefully organised, making it believable and heart-achingly awful. I don't know if I'm reading too much into this but the discourse on the elven history of the orcs and then the sudden switch you have at one point to Elrohir and his dangerous perceptions seems very meaningful.

I love as well the way you have such a sensory laden writing style, which protrays the horrific nature of war and slavery that's often glossed over but also more gentle, beautiful snippets. The handling of the 'moment' between Elladan and Legolas was exquisite with the added, so very elven, touch of their, sort of, awareness of each other, if you get what I mean. I can't believe the misunderstanding! Where on earth will things go from here? I'm feeling a fair amount of trepidation for when/if Legolas remembers clearly what Elrohir did in the cabin.

Your weaving in of canon seems effortless!

Just generally, I love it and have no idea how it will turn out, particularly with these latest developments. Oh, it could go so many ways!

Can hardly wait for the next chapter!

Jessie

Tanis - 15 Jul 10 - 8:46 PM

So ... I don't read WIPs for this very reason; I get caught up in a story that comes to a screeching halt in the middle of some heart-wrenching scene and then I have to wait!  And I'm soooo not good at waiting!

What an incredible emotional roller coaster this story has been.  I was immediately sucked in, just knowing the story would feature the twins.  And your portrayal of them is engrossing to say the least. The darkness so intensely and vividly portrayed in Elrohir, balanced, when necessary, by Ellandan's cool blue is equisitely done.  And I love that you've made Legolas such a strong character, yet vulnerable both to those he loves and those he desires.  And then you had me laughing out loud at Gandalf's mild disapproval of the Elf's ... impartiality.  Grin

I've run the gambit of emotions reading this and enjoyed every second of it.  Can't wait for more!

Tanis

Tanis - 02 Sep 10 - 8:13 AM

Going into withdrawal here - have now read the story to date about ten times.  Need more soonest.  I promise to send feedback for every chapter from here on out.

Who, me? Tanis

eliza61 - 17 Nov 10 - 9:06 AM

Am I the only one seeing only 21 chapters

curiouswombat - 17 Nov 10 - 1:02 PM

Eliza61 - no I have the same problem.  I'm guessing Ziggy has forgotten to click something... and hoping she'll rectify it soon!Oh Well

ziggy - 06 Dec 10 - 12:47 AM

Thank you for your reviews, Azalais. Yes, that chapter is the axis really for everything else that happens- and sort of ends the affair that was started in the earlier story. But it is for the better, for Eomer certainly- he is king now and Legolas knows this. I wonder what you will make of the next chapter- I really like that one.

Cuinwen - 06 Dec 10 - 10:14 PM

Generally I don't care for slash for the same reasons I don't generally care for het romances:  the attraction is too often substituted for plot.  But I have to admit, this is one rip-snorter of a tale you have going here :)

ziggy - 09 Dec 10 - 10:34 PM

Hi Tanis

Alos posted on Lord of the Rings Fanfiction- but I am behind there but have added some extras to DTB and this. Not a huge amount but little scenes here and there.

I like your analogy for Legolas of a flame buffeted by the winds of war- he is certainly getting that in full at the moment. I think the Nazgul moment in the film, ROTK were so immensely powerful I wanted to make a bit more of them in these later chapters -and they were sorcerors themselves before Ringwraiths so would have used magic and corrupted the Song many times before. This chapter is only part of their plan. Next chapter you will find out a bit more.

firefoot - 11 Dec 10 - 1:11 PM

I've just sat here and read it all in one exhilarating go (my essays ... XD) and oh my god, this is brilliant -- I like how you've taken certain liberties with the book's plot but pattern it close enough that it's exciting to see how you've changed it. Um, the twins. The twins! Oh, Elrohir. ))): I just wish someone could magic him into the 21st century and get him a therapist, then send him back to the Song-bearing bosom of Legolas. ...that sounded better in my head. uh, anyway. Speaking of which, I really like how you've described the respective elves' songs and how you weave intuition so nicely into everything, like Pippin's Foreboding Feelings and such. Things that stand out from that mad rush of reading: Elrohir explaining the sea-longing to Gimli in those terms (bias? what bias?), the bits with the hobbits in, Legolas's ridiculous songs, Faramir's cameo :D:D:D, Gimli in general ... I could go on and on, really.

And this last chapter was absolutely mad -- but in a good way! I was literally gripping the edge of my table and forcing myself to breathe while reading it, because holy shit!

This has been a great ride and I can't wait for more!

PandaBandit69 - 03 Jun 11 - 8:33 PM

ziggy, this i must say is fantastic! I love how you have woven such an incredible adventure for our heroes, and yet still keeping with the original story. This is truly a fantastic piece.

I also am a great fan of the prequel, but was so excited to read this one i forgot to mention so in the last story XD Truly I hope to read more of your work inthe near future.Wink

AndreaH - 01 Sep 11 - 3:30 PM

Hello, I started reading this on my small piece of Apple technology over summer holidays, but couldn't comment as I couldn't write on HASA from that particular piece of technology. I really like your Gimli, he is wonderful, and the relationship between he and Legolas is a lot of fun to read. But I am somewhat misbelieving, if Elrohir has been this tormented for how long?, how did he ever manage to form a decent, brotherly relationship with Aragorn? If Glorfindel takes so little nonsense then why didn't he, if not Elrond or Elladan, or even Arwen, force the issue with Elrohir? Surely someone beside Elladan saw what bad shape Elrohir was in?

Anyway, I'm slowly catching up (Chapter 18 is next) and will soon come to know, once again, the agony of reading a work in progress Laugh out loud. Keep up the good work!

BTW, do we ever hear from Legolas' dragon? The wise one might have many things to say, as Legolas has speculated...

Thanks, AndreaH

ziggy - 05 Nov 11 - 12:10 PM

Sorry folks- not a new chapter, just I edited something so the next chapter doesn't jar. There are two new chapters in the pipeline though and they'll be up soon.