Comments for: The Sons of Thunder

Talk to ziggy

The Sons of Thunder

curiouswombat - 20 Apr 11 - 12:42 AM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

Sorry- updates are going to be a bit slow but I will try to get things out as quickly as possible.

Ziggy, dear, write at whatever speed works for you right now - and we will be here waiting.

This is another beautifully written chapter which was well worth the waiting for; the sense of desperation, yet also a calmness as of a storm receding, highlighted and lightened by Pippin.

And oh how I feel for Legolas, memories jumbled and only half there, trying to make sense of his surroundings - and being - um - ably - abetted by Pippin.

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

eliza61 - 20 Apr 11 - 4:42 AM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

Oh how very sad and haunting.  Why is it human (and apparently elf also) nature that we only realize the important things in life when we are so close to losing them?   At the begininng of this story I wasn't sure if I would ever forgive Elrohir, I can  understand now his fear of losing both his brother and Legolas.

Write when you can Ziggy, I'll be here.

Well done.

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Erulisse - 20 Apr 11 - 10:03 AM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

Oh Ziggy, so sad.  Legolas' inability to heal and remember, Elrohir's admitting his wrongs and his love, and the remainder of the Fellowship readying themselves for what seems like certain death within a seven-night.  Once again you have broken a path that I run down with abandon, and once again I can only say "Thank You".

- Erulisse (one L)

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Azalais - 21 Apr 11 - 3:41 AM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

So much to relish in this chapter!

a battle they did not hope to win, for that was not why they were going...

That aspect of the Captains of the West's ride to the Black Gate always breaks my heart, as you know.

I love the description of Legolas turning his own Song to the healing of his body; that Elven interweaving of spirit and body feels just right.  And throughout the chapter, even though Legolas doesn't remember who he is yet, his Wood-elven nature and its contrast both with the stone city of Men and with the Peredhil/Noldor comes through beautifully. This is just perfect:

the notes of green leaves, of clear forest streams running over mossy, granite rocks, tumbling into shady pools where ferns grew and sunlight dappled...

That's my beloved Legolas, all right.

just like Thranduil if Legolas forgot his manners — that imperious, quizzical stare that needed no word and every one of his grown sons would drop their gaze and shuffle.

Hoh, yes! Grin  And Pippin and Gandalf are both so in-character. in case, just for a change, you speak without thinking first!'

Am so glad that Elrohir has defeated his temptations, even though the place he's left in as a result is so sad.

This is such a tough, sad point in the story both in the canon and here - powerfully rendered but I am so hoping for happiness in the end! More please!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Lindariel - 21 Apr 11 - 4:30 PM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

Ziggy -- I am thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying this wonderful tale.  Of course, I want more -- immediately! -- but you must absolutely continue at your own pace.  Just know that you have many patient admirers hanging on your every word -- and I am one of them!  Best regards, Lindariel

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Azalais - 22 Apr 11 - 2:47 AM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

I should have added that saying "More please!" was in no way intended to put pressure on you - I'm not sure if I did review the previous chapter [my bad] but if it didn't it was purely due to it happening to fall during Back to Middle-earth Month when I was insanely trying to write a drabble every day!

Believe me, if anyone knows about how long it can take to get an Epic Fic done it's me - Powers took me seven years and sometimes (pesky things like babies getting in the way) I didn't update for a year - and my faithful readers still came back! I know how frustrating it is when the desire to write and the opportunity to write don't match up - please don't feel pressured by your readership. We love the story and we won't be going anywhere - all good things come to those who wait!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Tanis - 16 May 11 - 4:27 PM

Ch. 29: Fellowship

Ahhhhhhh .... sigh sigh sigh.  From horror to healing, thank all the Valar!  The elf is awake and with enough memory to imply that he will be returned to himself by the end of the story.  I'm very curious to see how that will unfold and to what ends Elrohir will be taken on the remainder of this journey.

These last two chapters in particular made me wonder if your RL involves some sort of practice in the healing arts.  How insightful of Elrohir (and his author Grin) to allow Legolas to find his own way back without trying to hurry or otherwise speed up the process.  And I so appreciated being able to *watch* Elrohir watch Legolas waken.  It was like watching a fabled love story unfold as you described both Elrohir's emotions and his expressions in the last chapter and here, in the beautiful descriptions of his need to keep the wood elf safe.

Legolas' desire for Rávëyon's presence set against that bit of tension that frizzles his spine at the mere thought of the Perhedel -- so realistic given what he's just experienced and what he can't remember, and soooooo exquisitely pleasurable for the reader.

And then you made me laugh as Pippin starts his monologue on how he's single-handedly saved Middle-earth.  But wait!  Then along comes the rest of the gang and Aragorn bets Gimli that the dwarf will spill all to the elf before they can ride out!  With just a flick of your fingers on the keyboard, you turned the sorrow, without in any way dismissing or diminishing it, into laughter and that was equisitely done as well.

Oh Ziggy, every time I finish a chapter, I try to imagine where it will go from here - and this time I have no clue.  I'm looking forward immensely to seeing what happens next.

Go to The Sons of Thunder