Comments for: A Powerful Absence

Talk to curiouswombat

A Powerful Absence

Azalais - 09 Dec 10 - 3:24 PM

Well, you already know how much I enjoyed this - particularly that pivotal second chapter, with all its heartbreak, particularly that heart-rending moment for Arwen, and the instinctive solidarity of Celeborn and Glorfindel and Legolas. Lovely.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

curiouswombat - 09 Dec 10 - 4:07 PM

Thank you Azalais - that pivotal point with Arwen was in my mind before I even started to write at all - but oh! it was hard to do.  So I am so pleased that it worked for you; and that you appreciated that moment of Elven solidarity, too.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

ziggy - 09 Dec 10 - 2:28 PM

Ch. 1: Chapter One

I have finally found the time to read this beautifully crafted work. The lightness of touch is perfect, and deft, a story telling at a slight distance which reflects the distance I think, Elladan has now, that sort of unreality of losing his brother.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

curiouswombat - 09 Dec 10 - 2:54 PM

Ch. 1: Chapter One

Thank you Ziggy.  That sense of slight distance, of detachment and unreality, was exactly what I was trying to achieve - I am so glad that it came over that way  to you.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

ziggy - 09 Dec 10 - 2:35 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter Two

I really like that it is Gimli who puts his hand on Elladan's shoulder. And that Elrohir is not waiting- it would be too simplistic-and actually, the others who meet him are noted but he is still not really there- still shocked.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

curiouswombat - 09 Dec 10 - 3:00 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter Two

Thank you again.  Yes - for Elrohir to be  waiting would have been too simple, but Elladan had only seen as far as 'And then Elrohir will be there' - his brother's absence is almost the last straw.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

ziggy - 09 Dec 10 - 2:41 PM

Ch. 3: Chapter Three

Ah- that IS lovely. That idea that Estel and Arwen would have that little bit of space- and really would be reunited in a way that we can understand, made me cry. Nicest end of the Fellowship story I have read in years.

Go to A Powerful Absence

A Powerful Absence

curiouswombat - 09 Dec 10 - 3:08 PM

Ch. 3: Chapter Three

Thank you so much, Ziggy.  I wanted it to be a hopeful ending, after all he had been through, and I am so glad that it worked that way for you - even if it did make you cry...

Go to A Powerful Absence